Buying an older Swift Motorhome

Drex

Hi,

Just like to say hello to everybody here, as I am new, and it is my first post (lol)

Looking at buying a Swift motorhome (1998-2001) era, and was wondering what are the main

differences between the Fiat & Peugeot Chassis if any, and things to look out for ?

Looking at the Swift 500 \ 520 \ 530 \ 540 as I need something small enough to fit on my driveway,

and these fit that requirement fine, as they are only 5.25 metres long.

Any advice, appreciated...

Swift's have a very poor reputation for damp and water ingress you need to get it check out thoroughly for any signs of damp including the floor. If the van you are looking at comes up OK fine but any sign of damp walk away, repair costs can be horrendous.

Thanks for the advice on dampness...

Would you have any better recommendations for a small motorhome (10 - 15K) budget ?

There are only 2 of us, but we would like something with a bit of room and storage.

Guest Peter James
welcome to the forum Drex. I think with any 14 year old coachbuilt the by far the most important thing to look for is damp in the structure. But its often not easy to see.

Guest JudgeMental
Think yo need your head looked at........New ones bad enough! look at some of the old hymers etc...built like tanks. but you still need to get a comprehensive damp survey carried out whatever you are buying. If the seller resistant to checks walk away. Take you time and check that everything works correctly, taking particular notice of the roof, yes you have to get up there! and also around the seals looking for bodge jobs...crawl around underneath also. Tell seller you want to see fridge working so he can have it on when you turn up to view.

We have a swift 2006, so the later model fiat chassis than the one you are considering.

I believe that the biggest damp problems where with our model, and not the earlier ones, They have since changed the supplier of the floors, but I could be wrong.

However we had a major damp problem and it was fixed by swift, (a complete new floor) though we are the only owners , so had it from new.

As has been said any older van is liable to damp ingress, so don't be put off the swift just because of that, The one you are looking at could well be fine, but insist on a damp check , and try to be there when it is done, and if OK get a written report

We are very happy with our van, as are a lot of other owners, (it's only the ones who have a problem moan, not the many who don't.) Get the right lay out for your needs, and then you too will be happy

PJay

This is not really the best time to buy, because damp is less detectable in summer/autumn. With an older van it would be preferable to buy late February/early March, when it is likely it will have been standing out all winter. Try to view on a warmish, dry day. Use you nose for musty smells. Then get it damp checked.

If the dealer wants a deposit before doing this, make clear the deposit is to be refunded if the van tests damp. Do not accept a promise to repair and re-test, if there is damp, money back and walk away. It doesn't matter much what age the van is, who made it, or where. The above rule should be applied to any used van.

All other checks should, of course, be carried out. HPI, sight of log book, verification of base vehicle service record, availability of manuals, verification that water ingress warranty is in force (where relevant, but be careful with this, most warranties apply stringent conditions as to who can carry out the checks, and when they must be conducted), general condition inside and out, all appliances working (gas, water, and 12V electricity must be available for this), inspect tyres for type and date of manufacture (if over 7 years old negotiate a reduction as they must be replaced at this age irrespective of visual condition), and finally, take a test drive. If the vehicle is a 2007-9 Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen base check whether any gearbox mods have been carried out, and try to find somewhere to reverse it on a hill, paying attention to smoothness of clutch engagement. If there is vibration or judder, check very carefully if all mods have been completed, and if not, whether the vehicle is still eligible for remedy. If it is not, leave it!

Drex - 2014-07-19 10:32 AM

Thanks for the advice on dampness...

Would you have any better recommendations for a small motorhome (10 - 15K) budget ?

There are only 2 of us, but we would like something with a bit of room and storage.

My choice would be an Autosleeper of the same year range, One piece Monocoque Fibreglass body, (only leaks where holes have been cut, for windows,Roof lights etc., so easier to fix, IF it does leak). preferably on the VW T4 chassis, Called a 'Clubman' or a 'Gatcombe'. probably the top end of your Budget, But Ideal for 2, and a great 1st van. for extra storage get a Back Box, this is what we did on our 1st Van, a 1988 Autosleeper Talisman (unfortunately on a Talbot Chassis, which i wouldn't recommend ! :

A good example :

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/CaravanClubApps/Applications/caravan-classifieds/details.aspx?id=770269&page=1

Good luck and Welcome to the Forum. Ray

Have a little play in the "Buy & Sell" section of this site. Nationally, there are 24 vans in your price range, though that doesn't mean there are 24 you'd like, or even 24 good ones! :-) However, it should serve as an indication of what your budget would buy.

But, how, and where, and how often, would you use your van? If the main use would be weekend breaks, for example, you may find a van conversion (of which you will find several among the above 24) better suited to your needs, and possibly compact enough to become your only vehicle. On the other hand, if your main use would be over-wintering in Spain, you would probably need more space, but may be better advised to buy as new a van as possible since mechanical reliability, and the availability of breakdown insurance, would seem to be significant considerations.

Whatever you get, if buying in that price range, you will be getting an older van and should expect it to need some replacement parts from time to time. If you are good at DIY you will avoid quite a lot of expense as dealer labour costs are high.

I would say don't spend to the hilt on the van, but keep a few thousand in your back pocket just in case. If it then proves itself reliable and trouble free in use, you can spend the saving on whatever you fancy!

Thanks for the great advice,

We have a Mazda Bongo at the moment, but the missus and I feel that

the sleeping is way to cramped, and there is not a lot of storage for anything else.

As for the vans use, 3-4 weeks holiday per year plus lots of weekends.

Guest pelmetman

I concur with Rayjsj...................I'd be looking at a Autosleeper also, but I'd prefer a Tranny chassis due the availability and cheapness of spares.............

Other plus points to look out for, low number of owners, full service history, age of tyres and when the cam belt was last changed ;-)................

Drex - 2014-07-19 5:21 PM

Thanks for the great advice,

We have a Mazda Bongo at the moment, but the missus and I feel that

the sleeping is way to cramped, and there is not a lot of storage for anything else.

As for the vans use, 3-4 weeks holiday per year plus lots of weekends.

Then, I think I would avoid coachbuilts, because their construction generally leaves them increasingly liable to leak as they age. At least a van bodyshell shows its teeth by rusting, and rust is relatively easy to spot, not generally too difficult to repair, and if necessary replacement parts can generally be obtained.

Since you find the Bongo cramped, I think I'd look for a van conversion based on the Fiat Ducato, Peugeot Boxer, or Citroën Jumper base (the so-called SEVEL vans). These vans are wide enough to take a transverse bed which, so long as neither of you is particularly tall, should be of adequate length for comfort. Most variants manage good storage, much of which is accessible from inside.

Adria were one of, if not the, first to adopt this layout with their "Twin", and the formula has since been copied by virtually every motorhome maker in Europe. The variations on the theme are almost endless, with larger or smaller fridges, hobs, gas lockers, washrooms etc all being advanced as unique advantages.

Many also facilitate the use of the vehicle for carrying large items, by having beds that can be lifted so that the full length of the load space can be accessed, giving the vehicle greater versality. However, getting one within your budget may not be feasible. But, there are many others by long established converters such as Auto-Sleepers, Devon, East Neuk, Globecar, IH, Murvi, Vantage and WildAx, among which you may find a good example within your budget. Layouts will, inevitably, vary.

Doubtless others will add to the list. :-)

It's already been sugested that you look at an older Hymer (early 1990s A Class) which are now available in this price range.

Very well built in this era, bit underpowered by modern standards but not disatrously so. Don't be frightened of LHD, it really isn't a problem. You get access to the full odel range in this price range and if you have the room to park it, don;t be frightened of a B694 or an S700 model, which were top of the range. The S700 has a GRP top and is unlikely ever to suffer damp problems. After 1990 the interiors got lighter in colour and pleasanter, so ideally you would find an affordable 1993-95 model. If you can stretch to £15-20K you get a wider choice of more recent models - but they weren't as well built!

Guest Peter James

Good comprehensive advice from Brian Kirby as usual

Which confirms your biggest enemy in a coachbuilt is damp.

Can be very hard to spot - even for a professional sometimes, so in view of a recent thread I suggest not buying a van with a painted over shower tray .....

Drex - 2014-07-19 5:21 PMThanks for the great advice,We have a Mazda Bongo at the moment, but the missus and I feel thatthe sleeping is way to cramped, and there is not a lot of storage for anything else.As for the vans use, 3-4 weeks holiday per year plus lots of weekends.

Bongo to Hymer is quite a size hike. Our previous van was a Bongo (all black, no decals - gorgeous!) with which we did many trips to Europe and UK, but found the same as yourselves. So we hit on a compromise and now have a high top Vivaro. There are lockers all around, bags of storaqe under the bed, solar panels on the roof, side awning, and the front seats turn around. Only the passenger seat is usable though due to the side kitchen. No toilet compartment though, we just use a small portapotti. An ex-Bongo friend has the Vantage Zen, the same van with a different arrangement which includes a full toilet and shower cubicle at the rear.

On ours, the boot is so big we always carry our Quechua around and can use it as a toilet tent or for storage on-site, though in 2-3 years we've only used it a few times.

Fuel consumption is about 50% better, we can happily cruise 70-80mph, and it is as easy to drive and park as the Bongo. I can PM you some pics, if you like (though we are in the South of France at mo, it would have to be when we get back).

I just thought I'd throw that into the mix.

Archived