Buying a new mtorhome

DannyB

Hello all I have owned two motor homes (a CI Riviera and a Swift Suntor) and have just put down a deposit against an Auto Trail Dakota for delivery in March 07. Have I done the right thing? In particular I am slightly concerned at the length of the van (around 25') - what drawbacks are there in a van of this length? I would welcome your comments.

What is the base vehicle? I have experience of a 25' Bessacarr on a Fiat. The main drawback is the turning circle. The Fiat being FWD is worse than a RWD, and the extra wheelbase exacerbates this. But this is minor unless you frequent Alpine passes and such like. The new Fiat maybe better, I don't know. HTH :-)

The disadvantages of larger motorhomes (the Dakota is 7.3 m long) are: - it will have a longer overhang which can get in the way on tight bends and hump-backed bridges, etc. - if you've ordered the version on the Fiat Chassis, it is front wheel drive and is likely to have a fairly poor turning circle (the version on the Merc chassis is rear wheel drive and does not have this problem, but costs £5K more) - you may find that you do all the driving - my wife certainly wouldn't drive our 6.85 metre Mobilvetta. - it has a MAM/GVW of 3850 Kgs which means you need a C1 licence to drive it. Since 01.01.1997, all new drivers have been restricted to B which limits them to 3500 Kgs without taking an extra test. Not a big problem at the moment, but it will eventually restrict the market. Otherwise, you have chosen an excellent vehicle. The big plus is more space inside (either to relax in or clutter up depending on your personal preference!). I'm not sure why you are having doubts now?

Thanks for the responses. - the van is the new Fiat chassis with a 160 engine (3.0 litre). I would have settled for the 130 engine (2.2) which apparently performs better than the current 2.8 but the dealer has only ordered the 160s - point taken about doing all the driving but my wife does not normally drive anyway! - slightly concerned about Mel's comment re licence. I specifically asked (the dealer) about this as I was aware of the 3500kg limit but he assured me that I was ok with a normal car licence but will have to re-take my test when I reach age 70 (another 20 years) so it seemed like no problem

[QUOTE]robin - 2006-09-15 2:23 PM Danny, You should almost definitely be ok up to 7.5 tonne if you passed your test before 01/01/97. You need to check your licence, those with more experience than I should be able to tell you what to look for.[/QUOTE] If you passed your test before Jan 97 you should have catogaries C1 & C1+E this allows you to drive vehicles between 3500kg and 7500kg. Don

You could put reversing sensors on the back,or a camera, if you don't trust the Mrs to have a look out of the back window when you are reversing, and take a bit bigger sweep going around sharp corners. I have a 'Hope safe-T-bar', back bumper which really protects the back end if you happen to back into some thing.

• 9 months later...
B-) Hi Danny, We too have ordered a Dakota which has been delayed a few times (Fiat new chassis supply problems, not Autotrail). Last week we were told by the dealer that Autotrail had confirmed delivery to them towards end of August (we are off to Italy 1st September!). We changed our ferry by 3 days to get a 57 plate then yesterday were told by the dealer our 'van had arrived! They must have mistaken our name....? We will still wait for the 57 plate I think as it won't be ready for 2 - 3 weeks. I expect you have your 'van by now - how have you found it? Jenny

Sorry to sound pessimistic, but I think you are being very optimistic setting off in a new, and largely untested, van immediately after delivery!

Most things that go wrong fail very early in their lives.  If you want to enjoy Italy in September, I'd recommend you get the van as soon as possible, forego the 57 plate, and then get away in it for 7-10 days as soon as possible - to give it a good shakedown.  That just about gives the dealer time to fix anything that goes wrong before you sally forth.  That 57 plate will make very little difference to the re-sale value in a few years time; the logbook will tell all and will be what will count in setting its trade in value.

It's a British 'van so, apart from OEM equipment, there won't be so much back up once you've arrived as there might be for an Italian made 'van.  It'll also give you a chance to check all dealer fitted extras are a) there, b) properly installed, and c) there aren't any leaks.

Thanks for the advice Brian, we are inclined to be very optimistic about most things I must admit, for our age! The last new 'van we took delivery of was also delayed so meant that within 3 days of delivery we were off to Switzerland. We were lucky all was well (until we got home - but that's a whole different story.....). I must admit the temptation to take delivery is quite strong after a year without a 'van to call our own - we are going to visit the dealer this weekend to see for ourselves that it is really there (and our previous experience confirms your point about things actually being there!) so will let you know! B-) Jenny

Archived