Truma Boiler Fails To Light

palmac

Hi,

Looking for help please in regards to my Truma boiler not firing up.

It was working perfectly then last week end we tried to run the heating and after a few seconds of hearing it trying to operate and the hot air blowing it just cuts out and the dial turns red. This also happens on every setting including the hot water.

As mentioned it was working properly but now seems to be trying to ignite but just cuts out.

Only thing I can think of is I removed then reattached the gas bottle when checking the level of gas left.

Fridge and cooker are working so gas is flowing.

Any help and advice appreciated to rectify.

Cheers

Hi palmac, have you purged the air from the gas pipes? Try turning on a hob burner and getting any air out and then see if the boiler ignites afterwards.

Failing that, we did have a problem with our combi boiler last year which sounds similar and it was to do with the fan for the ignighter that was caput.

Guest Had Enough

If you don't get the help to solve the problem Truma offers a superb service from its HO in Derbyshire. I had a weird intermittent problem with my system so I booked it in to them and they tracked the fault and fixed it for a very reasonable price. All this was done whilst I waited in their very comfortable staff canteen!

But I've no idea where you live so this information may be useless to you.

This thread may be useful:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Truma-boiler-problem-all-or-nothing/33706/

When seeking specific help it helps to specify the van model and age and the Truma model and type identity.

If your Truma has an outside cover, some do some don't, can we assume that you have removed it before firing up the boiler?

They can be tricky to light if air has got into the pipe but after a few fails it should purge itself?

Can we assume there is enough power in the leisure battery to power the fan etc?

Does it work on mains, assuming it has that option?

Check the exhaust vent for a cobweb! It sounds daft, but a cobweb is enough to cause an obstruction and prevent the boiler from operating. It actually happened to me and I blew it clear with an airline and the boiler operated as normal thereafter.

Always check the simple things first!

lennyhb - 2014-07-20 10:15 PM

Could be first signs of the regulator failing, although the fridge and cooker are working the Truma has a high gas demand and will fail if there is not enough gas flow.

....or, by similar reasoning, an almost empty gas bottle.

Have you tried a new gas bottle? I have found with my Truma that it will not fire up if the bottle is low, despite the gas rings and Fridge still working.

It's worth a try before you do anything else as it sounds like you suspected the bottle may be low.

Clive.

As richard says, knowing the Truma model would help.

Our combi 4 had a similar problem turned out to be a bad conection on the back of control knob, so try wriggling the conections on control knob and main unit, failing that if it is a combi the pcb will proboly be flashing a fault code, count the sequence of flashes and phone an agent.

A Truma ‘combination’ air/water heater (which palmac plainly has) goes through a set process at start up when gas-operation has been chosen. This involves the gas-burner fan starting to run, followed by the gas-igniters firing. If water-heating-only mode is selected (when there will be no distracting noise from the heater’s blown-air fan), it should be possible to hear the gas-burner fan start up and the igniters firing.

A Truma ‘combi’, in water-heating-only mode, does not use a lot of gas and, if all the burners of, say, a 3-burner gas hob, will operate at full blast, it can be assumed that there’s adequate gas in the bottle and that the regulator is OK. (Obviously, once it has been ‘proved’ that the gas-supply is OK, it would make sense to turn off all other gas appliances before trying to light the heater.)

It does need saying that, if air has got into the gas-supply pipe feeding the heater and the pipe is long, it may need a good many start-up attempts to purge that air and, until the air is gone, the heater will go into Fault mode after each attempt to light it.

It’s possible that the gas-bottle disconnection and the heater failing to function are just coincidental, but checking the obvious and making absolutely sure that there’s plenty of gas remaining in the bottle, that all the hob burners will operate at maximum and that the heater 'sounds right' at start-up should be the initial approach.

It might be worth asking Truma(UK) for advice

http://www.truma.com/uk/en/home/service-center.php

I vaguely recall someone saying that it is no longer possible for leisure-vehicle owners to book an appointment directly with Truma(UK) (as happened with Had Enough) for fault-finding/repairs to be carried out.

Archived