AutoTrail Habitation Door Frames Splitting and Cracking

rolandrat

There seems to be another problem surfacing with the latest doors that are fitted to AutoTrails. I saw one at the weekend where the frame was cracked in numerous places. It was a 14 reg Black cab version. The owner said he was on the third replacement door frame and the last one was fitted at his house. The door system manufacturer is supposed to be aware of it.

OOO'er another thing to worry about, just checked mine (2012) and it looks OK, my only gripe is the inefficient door Stay/catch, and how to replace it,without making a mess of the door ?

ie. Door left open because it's scorching hot, sudden wind blows and door slams shut, nearly de-capitating the dog !!! (no cracks though ! in door or dog.) I tie it back with a dog lead, but would prefere something more 'professional' any ideas ? without 'Butchering' the door. Ray

Guest pelmetman

Beware bungy cord........ my old man used them on his Hymer because the latch was rubbish............he let it go and it left him with a nice dink in the side wall *-)..............

Re: Door retainers.

Can you not just unscrew(drill out the rivets?)of the existing one and change it for something better ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=door+retainer

Although I did replace the one we had on our previous Chausson," like for like", as the "jaws" had just split..but even the replacement was a bit weaker than I would've liked.

(..but I was able to assist that by wrapping a couple of small, white cable ties around the "root" of the jaw).

Even if it means changing to a different style and hole centres, as longs as it covers the originals and they are sealed up sufficiently, it's got to be better than running the risk of damaging the door, by having it slamming...

pepe63 - 2014-07-23 1:09 PM

Can you not just unscrew(drill out the rivets?)of the existing one and change it for something better ?

Although I did replace the one we had on our previous Chausson," like for like", as the "jaws" had just split..but even the replacement was a bit weaker than I would've liked.

(..but I was able to assist that by wrapping a couple of small, white cable ties around the "root" of the jaw).

Even if it means changing to a different style and hole centres, as longs as it covers the originals and they are sealed up sufficiently, it's got to be better than running the risk of damaging the door, by having it slamming...

Thanks,Yes, thats what I'm thinking of doing, thought this time I'd go for a 'positive locking' door retainer,

Like this one, on E-Bay, a bit expensive though, still you get what you pay for.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coachman-caravan-white-plastic-exterior-door-retainer-catch-CDR1-/171339450588?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item27e4a088dc

Ray

pepe63 - 2014-07-23 1:09 PM

Good link. Please note the Veneta clip is utter rubbish reflected in its price.

Archived