How stupid can you get.

David Dwight

Last Friday morning approximatley 10-30 whilst travelling sth on the M3 around the Basingstoke section, we saw. A Rapido being driven by a male, sitting in the offside passenger front seat one female with a child on her lap. One can only hope they arrived at their destination safely, and that they have now given up their foolish ways of travelling, with the child in front. David . (?) (?) (?)

Unfortunately, David, there just are not any police patrols left so nobody will do anything about such idiocy. Someone will point to the new legislation coming in on 18 September about child seats, but who is going to police it? The same people who police the law about not using mobile phones while driving? Equally sadly, it will be someone like you, David, who has suddenly to brake hard that they will run into the back of, propelling the child through the windscreen . . . .

Mel E , Exactly the point I was trying to make to Dave the other week. The public get's what the public want's . And what I mean by that is ,The public say we don't see enough police officers pounding the beat. Then like yourself you admit or have noticed that there is not enough Police patrols . The fact is it doesn't work pounding the beat because when a crime happen's else where they can not get there to deal with it. Reality of it is no one want's to join the police force any more. My daughter has been in it for 3 years and is now considering leaving already. My husband 20 years and he say's you have to work it to understand it. He say's the good old day's of policing are gone. The daughter say's when asked why do you want to leave. We have not got time to go out and arrest the criminals anymore . Her new chief constable want's them to be jack of all trades . they physically cannot keep up with the paper work .. Why should they take it home. They don't get paid for that so the pressure is on . They have not the time or the incline to stop people with phones But any decent copper worth his salt would stop someone with a child on their lap if seen . So David & Mel E I quite agree with you both on both topics... In london it is common place where my husabnd works .. He work's in a very indian diverse community & if you stop someone you are aqused of being racist. Oh well this what it has come to now ....Chasing clear up figures on crime.. Just so it look's good on the book's for the govnerment sad world. The other point is nothing in that family's life time will probably ever happen to them as Mel E state's it's the sensible people that take the precautions like you & I that will come un stuck....

Dave , Thank you well enough said tonight I alway's notice I,m the one to appologise. Still they say it takes someone with a heart to do that .. Geoff sorry JACK On speaking to my husband yes it would be discrimination . based on the fact that they are refusing to give some not in all cases better applicants the job Based on skin colour......... discrimination . Anyway crap job not worth it you never get it right . jack of all trades master of none ;-) ;-) ;-)

Michele, I new we had something in common, you are married to the "job", and I am now divorced from it, 4 years now. The sad fact is that officers can only deal with what they see in the area that they are patrolling at that time. I would assume that any officer/family man would have dealt with the child in the front if seen, and yes there are not enough to go round, but the police also rely heavily on the public for information about offenses occurring I also agree with your comments about paperwork clogging up the system........... when I first started it took 4 forms to process a shoplifter, and now it takes 57. Officers do the best they can with what they are given and in an ideal world, everyone would have their own personal policeman, but that will never happen. Tell your daughter, and i'm sure you are proud of her, that she is doing a thankless job but a wothwhile one and remember that,"things can only get better". I can now understand your point of view and as a wife/mother of serving officers, a big need for a sense of humour. Sitting at home waiting their return and the mood in which they do. To all those who read this reply, please do not be afraid to report any thing you see as a known offence or something out of the ordinary. You may not know it, but the end result may be to help a fellow human being!! Keep taking your tablets and keep on smiling. ATB John 8-) 8-)

[QUOTE]Geoff Bell - 2006-09-15 6:42 PM My boy wants to join when hes 18 but has already been told they are giving preference to ethnic minorities to get the balance up. Is that discrimitive do you think?[/QUOTE] Hi geoff The term is 'positive discrimination' and has been used for many years by government in various situations - take the Labour party all women lists for selection of MP's for example. One side of the debate would argue that it is a good way of ensuring you can increase the number of ethnic minority, women, tall, short (etc,etc) people in a particular role. The other side would say that it is discriminatory against those it excludes - even if they are better qualified/suited to the role. Regards, david

White van man: travelling at almost 70 mph behind my car: leans into passenger well, picks up vacuum flask, puts cup on top of the steering wheel, pours liquid from flask to cup, balances cup in lap, screws back lid, drinks liquid - by this time he had passed me on the outside lane probably nearer to 80 mph! Hubby was driving so I could watch all this in the vanity mirror. As for children in the front of cars without seat belts or too young to travel there GRRRRRR >:-( People on phones >:-( GRRRR It's the attitude that accidents always happen to other people which worries me :-(

[QUOTE]Lizzy - 2006-09-16 3:20 PM White van man: travelling at almost 70 mph behind my car: leans into passenger well, picks up vacuum flask, puts cup on top of the steering wheel, pours liquid from flask to cup, balances cup in lap, screws back lid, drinks liquid - by this time he had passed me on the outside lane probably nearer to 80 mph! Hubby was driving so I could watch all this in the vanity mirror. As for children in the front of cars without seat belts or too young to travel there GRRRRRR >:-( People on phones >:-( GRRRR It's the attitude that accidents always happen to other people which worries me :-([/QUOTE] Lizzy, A motorhome came through our village today and the passenger had a dog sitting on her lap, it was a fair sized dog. I hate to think what would happen if they had to do an emergency stop or had a rear end shunt. Some people just don't realise what the consequences of their actions could be. Don

Hi David , I understand your dilema and know this incident and probably others have given you the pip, but all I would ask you to consider is as follows:- Not all police officers will respond negatively - If you were in trouble would you not want somone to summon assistance - Lots of people bury their head in the sand or turn their backs - remember the "Good Samaratin" and lastly be a good citizen. I must point out to you, in my case anyway, the frustration I felt when finding out after the fact, that some incidents could have been prevented if the timely intervention of a witness had occured. Please don't worry about using the 999 system as that is your first contact in an emergency. Some day you may get the response you ask for and be impressed! Don't be put off by beaurocracy, there are still some people who take policing seriously. John 8-)

As the good David does not mind. John NG5 , Divorced the Job or the wife . Policeman in Ireland? God hard job. My husband hates it 22 years now I hated it as well. The son in law to be ,by the looks of it starts on monday, your right about one thing. yes stressful waiting for them to all come home especially from london. Bad Place . you never know? had a few close shaves. Sick of ironing them shirt's and sick of Job talk LOB ? ;-)

Michele, Divorced from wife 8 years, retired 4 years. One of the reasons I started contributing to this forum was for interaction with like minded people, love of motorhoming. I realise some people have taken a dislike to the amount of humour and repartee, which they are entitled to do, but i'm sure you've heard this before, "what sort of world would it be if you couldn't have a laugh". As for ironing shirts I know how you feel, but, you'll have to start a laundry service with a small charge for each item. Wouldn't take long to build up your holiday fund. Take care, John 8-)

Our cocker spaniel was happy to wear a specially designed harness which was fixed via the seat belt. She travelled many miles safely on the back seat. When the harness appeared she knew we were going for a long drive to a place of interest :-D, she would sit, lift up the left front leg to be fastened in and run to the car. Dog cages are a good idea too - these can be bought in varying sizes but are quite heavy. I don't know how a dog can be safely accommodated in a motor home but a cage would be the best idea, useful on site too as it will stop dog running into other 'vans at breafkast time ;-) . My friend in the US stores her cockers in cages along the top of the van in the storage area over the drivers' seat. She takes 5 to shows and they sleep until they arrive! I do have a large cage if anyone local wants to try it for size ....... good for small kids too ;-) :-D

Archived