Bridlington parking

antony1969

Few days in Brid and went to park as usual in the newish park and ride at South Shore only to find the height barriers down !!

Why this is so now God only knows but Brid is a difficult place to park without the park and ride for motorhomes so be warned if intending to park up at South Shore ... My money will be spent elsewhere from now on

Antony 1969 theres a large carpark at the end of the promenade where there is a caravan site and its a nice walk along the prom into brid :unless thats where theyve put height barriers too :up north a bit to filey brigg lovely place to park up with great views not as commercial as brid and you can walk along brigg or into filey:pp:) i love it there and used to enjoy camping on the site had a lovely new years eve camped there (on the site not on the brigg cos you cant overnight on't brigg ) pp

Guest pelmetman
Sign of the times Antony *-)..................Moho owners are the new underclass..................I shouldn't bother with Lincolnshire either :-|.................

Pampam - 2014-07-21 8:13 PM

Antony 1969 theres a large carpark at the end of the promenade where there is a caravan site and its a nice walk along the prom into brid :unless thats where theyve put height barriers too :up north a bit to filey brigg lovely place to park up with great views not as commercial as brid and you can walk along brigg or into filey:pp:) i love it there and used to enjoy camping on the site had a lovely new years eve camped there (on the site not on the brigg cos you cant overnight on't brigg ) pp

Fileys good for parking , Scarborough thanks to the overnighters on North Shore has become a nightmare to park with the great big stones the council have put in place to stop motorhomes freeloading

Am a bit peeved about South Shore at Brid as parking in the park and ride was great as the beach is less than a minute away

robertandjean - 2014-07-21 8:50 PM

Antony, it is restrictions like these on motorhomes that has more or less made us give up on the UK, and instead spend our time and money using the Aires network in France.

Fully understand your decision to do so too , if work didn't get in the way I think we would be in France also

Having said that though we have been motorhoming for seven years and been all over Britain numerous times and mostly never had a problem . I think as long as you are prepared to park a little away from the main areas then you will find somewhere to park , Bridlington been the exception , but maybe not if Pampam is correct

P.S. The price for parking in the hilderthorpe road car park is £2.90 for all day. You can also park right on the front at south shore if you get up earlier enough, one side is free the other payment.

So Brid isn`t so bad after all. (lol) (lol)

foxy - 2014-07-24 5:39 PM

P.S. The price for parking in the hilderthorpe road car park is £2.90 for all day. You can also park right on the front at south shore if you get up earlier enough, one side is free the other payment.

So Brid isn`t so bad after all. (lol) (lol)

Your quite right Brids OK ... Its just a shame they seem to have stopped the ability for motorhomes to park in the park and ride .... Especially when the car park is staffed to stop overnighting anyway ... Up the Brid

Guest Peter James
antony1969 - 2014-07-21 7:52 PM

in Brid and went to park as usual in the newish park and ride at South Shore only to find the height barriers down !!

Thats worth knowing thanks Antony because if anyone complains about my van parked outside their house I shall tell them its because I have had to move from the Park and Ride because they have brought in height barriers so complain to your council. (lol)

Peter James - 2014-08-01 7:14 AM

in Brid and went to park as usual in the newish park and ride at South Shore only to find the height barriers down !!

Thats worth knowing thanks Antony because if anyone complains about my van parked outside their house I shall tell them its because I have had to move from the Park and Ride because they have brought in height barriers so complain to your council. (lol)

I had a really nasty note left on our MH after parking outside someone's home (legally) some years ago. I would hesitate to tell them to contact the Council as I ws perking; better to do it as you are leaving I suggest.

Peter James - 2014-08-01 7:14 AM

Here to help Peter ... Here to help old buddy

robertandjean - 2014-07-21 8:50 PM

Antony, it is restrictions like these on motorhomes that has more or less made us give up on the UK, and instead spend our time and money using the Aires network in France.

That's a little unfair?

Yes we all know that the UK is not motorhome friendly but that has as much to do with the ongoing legacy of the abusive and irresponsible dross known politely as 'travellers', and the failure of the Police to use existing laws to deal with and discourage them.

Because overnight parking is so limited motorhomes tend to group where they can and you really cannot blame local residents and authorities for taking a hard line.

Nevertheless we too prefer camping and travel au continent as unless an extensive network of Aires is set up in the UK nowt will change any time soon!!

For us, it wasn't the lack of 'overnight parking' that annoyed us, but the lack ordinary 'daytime parking' and the blatant discrimination against campervans in the UK, Our solution : is to tow our car on an A-Frame, that way we get NO restrictions. Except that we cannot tow it in 'greater' europe. Which doesn't worry us too much. Just returned from 3 months touring Scotland,The lakes, visiting family, Exmoor, Bristol. Great, wish we had done it (got an A-frame) ages ago. The A-frame is now in my Shed, until next time, try doing that with a Trailer ! Ray

Guest Peter James

I parked just off the south seafront last night and on the seafront today (free) Weather was lovely ths morning and I biked along the prom as far as the Park and Ride. You can see the problem. The Park and Ride car park is nearer the beach than the 3 campsites nearby, so they ban motorhomes from the Park and Ride to try and force them into the campsites. Kerr..ching..

Went to the Pickering Steam Rally yesterday which was great as usual. Surprised I have never seen anything about it on here. I woulld be going again tomorrow if the weather forecast wasn't so bad, as it is I am about to head for home.

Peter James - 2014-08-01 6:37 PM

I parked just off the south seafront last night and on the seafront today (free) Weather was lovely ths morning and I biked along the prom as far as the Park and Ride. You can see the problem. The Park and Ride car park is nearer the beach than the 3 campsites nearby, so they ban motorhomes from the Park and Ride to try and force them into the campsites. Kerr..ching..

Went to the Pickering Steam Rally yesterday which was great as usual. Surprised I have never seen anything about it on here. I woulld be going again tomorrow if the weather forecast wasn't so bad, as it is I am about to head for home.

It's only a recent change with the park and ride ... We were in Brid maybe two months ago and no probs in the park and ride and maybe ten motorhomes in it .... Returned couple of weeks ago and height restriction barrier up. ... Maybe it's just for the main summer thrust but I can't see the sense in it .... All the motorhomes pay to stay in it and you can't overnight and it's a manned car park to stop you doing so

Peter James - 2014-08-01 6:37 PM

It's only a recent change with the park and ride ... We were in Brid maybe two months ago and no probs in the park and ride and maybe ten motorhomes in it .... Returned couple of weeks ago and height restriction barrier up. ... Maybe it's just for the main summer thrust but I can't see the sense in it .... All the motorhomes pay to stay in it and you can't overnight and it's a manned car park to stop you doing so

antony1969 - 2014-08-01 7:54 PM

Maybe it's just for the main summer thrust but I can't see the sense in it .... All the motorhomes pay to stay in it and you can't overnight and it's a manned car park to stop you doing so

Maybe it is just for the "busy" season then?....because maybe they thought MHs were taking up too much space in a busy, popular car-park?...(don't know the area, so just surmising).

As it was manned and there was no overnighting allowed anyway, I can't see PJ's ." ...force them into the campsites. Kerr..ching.." theory stacking up...

(If I can't find a parking space, I don't then think,"..Oh, I'd best book into a campsite then.." (lol) )

The P&Rs around by us have(had?) barriers but they would open them, when asked..having that that,they are a fair old traipse from the beach.......

antony1969 - 2014-08-01 7:54 PM

Maybe it's just for the main summer thrust but I can't see the sense in it .... All the motorhomes pay to stay in it and you can't overnight and it's a manned car park to stop you doing so.

pepe63 - 2014-08-02 9:57 AM

Maybe it is just for the "busy" season then?....because maybe they thought MHs were taking up too much space in a busy, popular car-park?...(don't know the area, so just surmising).

As it was manned and there was no overnighting allowed anyway, I can't see PJ's ." ...force them into the campsites. Kerr..ching.." theory stacking up...

(If I can't find a parking space, I don't then think,"..Oh, I'd best book into a campsite then.." (lol) )

The P&Rs around by us have(had?) barriers but they would open them, when asked..having that that,they are a fair old traipse from the beach.

Just been in Brid a couple of days ago but tbh the place looked pretty depressing to me so got out as quickly as i'd arrived! Went up to Flamborough and had a drink at the Bar as the evening was nice enough to sit outside. "No Overnight Parking" signs on the CP there with one section having barred gates (which they lock at night) plus the CP is all P&D.

Talking to the Barman he told me they often used to get MH's and Campervans overnighting and the Bar and Cafe next door did good business, but the nearby Caravan Park bought the land up to stop the 'overnighters'. When charging £28 a night for a MH/Camper and £330 a week for the cheapest static van, the dosh rolls in very quickly.

Plenty of good spots to be found up on the Moors which i found was the the place to head for and i spent a pleasantly peaceful night at a place called Harwood Dale with rolling countryside as far as the eye could see.

Bulletguy - 2014-08-05 1:50 PM

Plenty of good spots to be found up on the Moors which i found was the the place to head for and i spent a pleasantly peaceful night at a place called Harwood Dale with rolling countryside as far as the eye could see.

..and I think you've hit the nail on the head there BG, if someone wants to really "wild-camp", then doing as you have done, sticking in a bit of effort/thought and finding somewhere suitable and discrete, pays dividends. ;-)

Unfortunately, judging by some threads we have had on here( ie Scarborough / Huttoft Terrace/Aberystwyth etc) , we have to accept that, even where MH parking/overnighting has been allowed(tolerated?)on coastal car parks and proms, they've only ended up being abused...and therefore ruined for the rest of us..

(..and we can't blame it ALL on "travellers" :-S )..

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2014-08-05 2:32 PM

Unfortunately, judging by some threads we have had on here( ie Scarborough / Huttoft Terrace/Aberystwyth etc) , we have to accept that, even where MH parking/overnighting has been allowed(tolerated?)on coastal car parks and proms, they've only ended up being abused...and therefore ruined for the rest of us..

(..and we can't blame it ALL on "travellers" :-S )..

That's the trouble nowdays *-).................It's all stick and no carrot :D...............

Here's a novel idea :-D..............why not fine the people who abuse the system....... rather than ban those who don't *-)................

pelmetman - 2014-08-05 2:37 PM

Here's a novel idea :-D..............why not fine the people who abuse the system....... rather than ban those who don't *-)................

With the risk of going around in circles...

Probably because, as I've said before, a barrier/signage is a lot cheaper, than paying out to police, enforce, process and chase up, unpaid fines....

A "novel idea" would be for these MHers not take the piss and ruin things in the first place ... ;-)

• 1 year later...

Popped into Bridlington South Beach Park and Ride yesterday in the car and saw a motorhome parked up only feet away from the beach. There were also two high top Merc Sprinter coaches parked up so I'm guessing the height barrier is removed some time in September but although this 'might' be good news for us in October when we return with the MH, it wasn't my main reason for posting.

£3.50 all day is a great price to pay to park up only feet away from the beach. The problem came when I tried to pay. The ticket machines at Bridlington Park and Ride at South Beach look quite new and are very different to the ticket machines I used here a couple of years ago. I read the instructions and followed them precisely before trying to put my coins in but when I tried (for a few minutes) to put them in, the ticket machine was having none of it. No matter what I did, what buttons I pressed, how much I swore, the machine would not let me put my coins in. That's okay, there are two other ticket machines to choose from, so off I went. You guessed it, exactly the same, the ticket machines were refusing to take my coins.

After about 15 minutes wondering what to do I noticed a man approaching the first ticket machine and .....walk away with a ticket! I raced over and tried again to obtain a ticket but once again the machine refused to take my money. We sat without a ticket for most of the day and noticed people going from one ticket machine to the other, some of them parked up without a ticket, others left the car park. Clearly, there are problems with these ticket machines!

It dawned on me that East Riding Council must be missing out on a lot of revenue because these machines were intermittently failing to take coins. But then I wondered, how much would East Riding Council make in fines if a parking attendant arrived with his/her little book of yellow tickets!

£3.50 or £60.00 !

It would be interesting to learn if others had encountered this kind of problem, not just at Bridlington Park and Ride, but anywhere!

Guest pelmetman
TrevR - 2015-09-24 7:50 AM

It would be interesting to learn if others had encountered this kind of problem, not just at Bridlington Park and Ride, but anywhere!

Did you use the same pound coins in each machine? ..........There's a lot of dodgy pound coins around, and some of the latest meters are able to detect the fakes ;-) ............

Definitely not the pound coins, Stalwart. A metal plate covers the coin entry slot and won't allow any coins to be inserted at all. This happened in the majority of cases we saw; only one or two motorists came away with a ticket. :-o

We had the same problem with the same type of ticket machine later in the day at the Harbour car park. Again, we saw people coming away empty handed and then just walking into town without having obtained a ticket. I just can't help thinking that these motorists will have a Parking Charge Notice dropping through their doors in the near future >:-(

Archived