Best Manufacturer of Solar Panels & Accessories

starvin marvin

Who is understood to be the manufacturer of the best solar panels, regulator and battery to battery chargers?

I know "best" can mean different things to different folks, what I mean is the "best" quality at the "best" prices, which I suppose means the "best" value. I'm going to be buying and having them fitted in the next few weeks.

Many thanks.

Guest Had Enough

It's like asking"Which is the best car?" There are too many variables to give you a sensible answer.

I have a solar panel and I think it's good because it works perfectly. But I've no idea if a different make may be 5% more efficient.

And that's the problem! Most people can only give you an answer based on the one make that they've experienced. They haven't done an in-depth survey of several models nor have they been able to do field trials of various ones.

You can do your own research on the different types of panels and their qualities but again, even if someone tells you that their XYZ brand is very good, how do they know how it compares with other makes?

My advice would be to buy from a good retailer who has reputation to uphold. You're unlikely to get a bad solar panel or poor accessories.

I've had two from such a dealer and have been delighted with them. My latest one was a well-known make (Kyocera) which gave me confidence.

Had Enough - 2014-07-28 10:32 PM

It's like asking"Which is the best car?" There are too many variables to give you a sensible answer.

I have a solar panel and I think it's good because it works perfectly. But I've no idea if a different make may be 5% more efficient.

And that's the problem! Most people can only give you an answer based on the one make that they've experienced. They haven't done an in-depth survey of several models nor have they been able to do field trials of various ones.

You can do your own research on the different types of panels and their qualities but again, even if someone tells you that their XYZ brand is very good, how do they know how it compares with other makes?

My advice would be to buy from a good retailer who has reputation to uphold. You're unlikely to get a bad solar panel or poor accessories.

I've had two from such a dealer and have been delighted with them. My latest one was a well-known make (Kyocera) which gave me confidence.

I understand everything you say, and you are correct in what you say.

I guess what I'm trying to tease out is, for example take solar panels are the "best" generally manufactured in say Spain, Germany or Japan. Also with regulators maybe if those generally fitted are UK made, then which are considered the best? Same with battery to battery chargers, if you get my drift.

I think its because I like to understand what it is I'm buying, and if I'm comparing perfectly acceptable providers and installers of these products I would like to be comparing oranges with oranges, and then judge on opinions and price from these installers. Maybe with this I'm simply whistling in the wind.

Thanks for your reply.

In this world you only get what you pay for, when I was looking for my first solar Panel I looked at the cheapest option thinking they are all a much alike, But then I thought stick to a name you know, and the best Name I know in Automotive electric is Bosch so I looked for and found what I was looking for, a 120 watt Solar panel made by Bosch there are hundreds of Chinese solar panels made by names I couldn't pronounce and are based it China, I bought from a firm based in the UK and have fitted one to my current Motorhome as I trust the brand, not the cheapest but I believe the best,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120W-solar-panel-with-5m-cable-for-motorhome-camper-caravan-boat-rv-120-watt-/140910338903?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item20cee92357

Corky 8 - 2014-07-30 6:06 PM

In this world you only get what you pay for, when I was looking for my first solar Panel I looked at the cheapest option thinking they are all a much alike, But then I thought stick to a name you know, and the best Name I know in Automotive electric is Bosch so I looked for and found what I was looking for, a 120 watt Solar panel made by Bosch there are hundreds of Chinese solar panels made by names I couldn't pronounce and are based it China, I bought from a firm based in the UK and have fitted one to my current Motorhome as I trust the brand, not the cheapest but I believe the best,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120W-solar-panel-with-5m-cable-for-motorhome-camper-caravan-boat-rv-120-watt-/140910338903?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item20cee92357

Thanks for the reply, but who's regulator did you use?

Guest pelmetman
Corky 8 - 2014-07-30 6:06 PM

In this world you only get what you pay for, when I was looking for my first solar Panel I looked at the cheapest option thinking they are all a much alike, But then I thought stick to a name you know, and the best Name I know in Automotive electric is Bosch so I looked for and found what I was looking for, a 120 watt Solar panel made by Bosch there are hundreds of Chinese solar panels made by names I couldn't pronounce and are based it China,

We bought a Bosch iron a few months back ;-).....................made in China :D..............I once worked in a bread factory bagging bread for superstores, the only difference between the loaves I bagged............was the bag :-|..........

starvin marvin
Thanks for the reply, but who's regulator did you use?

I actually bought the complete kit from them the regulator came with it ,their recommended one.

"QUOTE"We bought a Bosch iron a few months back http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.....................made in China http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_mrgreen.gif..............

The difference being Made for Bosch its Made under Licence in China , that means the Manufacturer has to comply with the specifications given by Bosch, so it has to meet their standards,.  Simples.

Guest pelmetman
Corky 8 - 2014-07-31 7:51 AM

The difference being Made for Bosch its Made under Licence in China , that means the Manufacturer has to comply with the specifications given by Bosch, so it has to meet their standards,.  Simples.

A bit like my bread analogy then? ;-)........another example of badge engineering :D...............granted that you are more likely to get redress from a "brand" like Bosch............but what can go wrong with a solar panel? :-S......

Some interesting reading here ;-)..............

http://www.energymatters.com.au/index.php?main_page=news_article&article_id=3655

http://www.forbes.com/sites/uciliawang/2012/10/16/report-180-solar-panel-makers-will-disappear-by-2015/

Archived