HELP ME computer bods

Geoff Bell

I'm a bit of a ludite when it comes to computers and I have a problem, which is seriously affecting my contribution to the forum. After logging on to the internet I get anything from 2 -10 minutes before a notice pops up saying: Generic Host Process for Win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close..................... It then shuts down. I have scanned with McAfee and I have a couple of viruses that won't clean,delete what can I do.

I,ve had this problem for nearly a year now Geoff. When it first appeared I would press "send report". This was a complete waste of time as after directing you through 20 odd pages you finally came back the original error report message. I gave up in the end, and now I simply press "do not send". The message disappears and to date i,ve never had the slightest problem with my p.c. Obviously the message is there for a reason, but until I encounter any difficulties will continue to follow the same procedures. Howard.

Not much of a bod really, but know how to sort problems....usually. This could be caused by a couple of things. 1) Could be caused by older HP printer and it's old software. Reasonably easy to fix. 2) There is a worm that caused this too called the 'Blaster worm'. This should have been picked up by your virus checker. Read this: http://personalinsure.about.com/cs/personalproperty/a/aa081303a.htm Let us know how it goes, as it really isn't a good idea to have your computer running with any kind of worm in it, however innocuous it may be. Jimmy

[QUOTE]V6Jim - 2006-09-17 1:11 AM Let us know how it goes, as it really isn't a good idea to have your computer running with any kind of worm in it, however innocuous it may be. Jimmy[/QUOTE]I get regular updates on screen from Norton security Jimmy telling me there are no problems with viruses or security, so I presume the problem lies elswhere. Not entirely happy with these error messages but as i have been unable to resolve this so far, i,ll just have to let it run its course until I know different. Howard.

Jack, you have to re install the operation system 1) Back up any programes & files that you would like to keep 2) My hubby is a computor buff 3) He mend's half the Metroploitan police force 4) A win 32 file is most propbably an operating sytem file. It is either corrupt or missing,if you know enough you can try and over write it, the easiest way for the lay man is to back up your data & use the recovery disc to re install the operating system... Warning you will lose all the data you have not saved. That is it in a nut shell. If it is a worm your anti virus software should tell you how to remedy it hope this help's ;-)

Herman,Howard,Jim,Mic from Hell eeeeeeeee and Jim, I have spent the best part of today working on this, It dosen't help having to restart the computer every 10 minutes, but anyway using all your info I can detect the Trojen causing the problem but I cannot clean,delete or quaranteen it. Mcafee have a f.a.q.site to get you to the next stage but it isn't working so I,m stuck. Does anyone know what I need to do after the scan has revealed the problem. When ever I have had a problem before I have been able to get rid of it by clicking on one of the 3 options. Sorry, but it does have to be in easy to understand instructions.

Geoff I hope this gets to you in time to save you a lot of hassle, from what you've said you don't appear to have a major problem which requires you to totally re-install windows etc. Is it the following which you have got? W32.Blaster.Worm If it is you DO NOT need to reinstall windows to get rid of it or install any adware programmes as it's not adware, it's a virus. If you haven't managed to get shot of it let me know as my hubby has come across this before and can point you to where you can get rid of it. We also have a very good programme, as we work at University, which we can let you have (it's a free programme so no licencing issues). The only downside is that its about 10mb in size so you really need to be on Broadband to receive it. We had the same problem at work with the blaster worm about a year ago and it created utter havoc until it was 'squished' by our computer bods. Don't be tempted to put another virus checker on alongside McAfee as they'll fight and totally knacker your machine! I assume you've done all your updates to keep McAfee up to date? If not then this is one of the first things you should do. Let me know your current status and if necessary I can get some more infor from my hubby and the computer bods at work if necessary. Regards Mel B The original 'worm'!

Mel, I have run Fix blast which took about 1 hour to scan all my files and it has been unable to find the W32 Blaster worm on any of my files. It has however identified a Trojan called Generic Downloader.c , File path C:\WINDOWS|SYSTEM32 which it says cannot be deleted. It goes on to say check file is not write protected and try again, so does anyone know how I do that.

Geoff A scan which takes an hour is way too long! What made you think you had a Blaster Worm? Blaster Worm is a virus, the Generic Dowloader is a low risk 'adware' trojan, totally different: "This is a trojan detection. Unlike viruses, trojans do not self-replicate. They are spread manually, often under the premise that they are beneficial or wanted. The most common installation methods involve system or security exploitation, and unsuspecting users manually executing unknown programs. Distribution channels include email, malicious or hacked web pages, Internet Relay Chat (IRC), peer-to-peer networks, etc." From the problems you've said you've got you must have more going on on your machine that this as it's really low risk and doesn't do much at all. The latest virus checker data files should easily be able to spot this and remove it without a problem. From the problems you've described, it sounds like you've got lots of bits and pieces lurking on your machine - do you get pop-up windows for example? Do you loose your desktop? Do you get 'click here' etc, do you get crap added to your bookmarks? If you can give me some more info my hubby will try to sort you out but to be honest from what we've gleamed so far it might be safer to totally re-install all of your software, after you've backed up your files etc so you don't loose anything, don't forget to make a copy of your internet bookmarks as you'll loose these as well. It'll take a bit of time but at least then you will be starting with a 'clean' machine again. I'm also sending you a PM. Regards Mel B

Your right Mel, it'll be quicker in the long run to reload everything, so sounds like a job for another day. Thanks everyone for all your help. The really strange thing is I've been on line now for an hour and it hasn't shut down. Have I inadvertantly sorted the problem?. All will be revealed to-morrow, but somehow I doubt it. Goodnight all

Hi Geoff, Hopefully the link Jim gave you has sorted your problem. The address below is worth a visit, it has some very useful advise and helpful downloads. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm Google for a little programme called "crap cleaner" and download, I think it's worth having. Many times in the past when I thought I'd removed something from my PC only to find it's still lurking. Now I open CCleaner and if it's still there I highlight it , click,and CCleaner will wipe it. I would recommend everyone who Googles to download "McAfee SiteAdviser" because it highlights the sites that put malware on unsuspecting users when Googling. I hope some of this is helpful. Terry.

I also use Ad-Aware and Spybot (both free)- they search for spyware which can slow down your pc! It's surprising what some web sites leave on your pc after you have been browsing! I run the free version of Zone Alarm as firewall and the free AVG as virus scanner. Used to use McAfee - then Norton - but objected to poor service and having to pay every year for the priviledge. Carol

I have left computer on line all day and the WIN32 message has not reappeared and therefore it has not crashed. This could mean that I have sorted the problem so fingers crossed I will not switch off and back on to confirm. The Generic Downloader.c Trojan is still on my computer.

Glad it's fixed! As mentioned above, I too don't run any anti-virus 'installed' software. I find them far too intrusive. Instead, I use a stand alone utility from McAfee called an 'Avert Stinger'. This is simply downloaded free from the McAfee website and saved to the desktop. Run this regularly and this wee utility will keep everything spick and span with regards to viruses. Get it here: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ I keep all those pesky popups away with another free programme called 'Spybot'. (Mentioned earlier). This is a super, fast working and totally free device for keeping your computer free if adware parasites that slow your to computer to a crawl. Get it here: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Spybot_Search_and_Destroy/1043809773/1 Run these two regularly and your computer will love ya! Jimmy

Archived