Micro camper

ips

Hi all.

Since swapping our CB we have had many great hols in our caravan BUT there is always something in the back of my mind that I want / need either a camper such as a VW California or a small PVC. I cannot bring myself to spend 40+ K on a PVC as I do not see were the extra 25K on top of the base vehicle cost is, also having looked at VW type campers it is obvious to me that cat swinging space is somewhat lacking so .... we have a cunning plan.

Sunday we took my citroen berlingo multispace XTR onto the caravan site and had a trial to see if the drive away awning that we still have from CB days would fit and if there was enough space in the citroen with the rear seats lifted out (easy 2min job to lift them out) to sleep. Well whoopee doo what do you know the awning fits better than it fitted the CB and there is loads of room with front seats as fwd as possible gives a sleeping area of 47" x 74" so I have bought two pieces of foam mattress and dug all our old camping gear out and were off for a micro camper trial this weekend. Its sort of posh camping. Seems to me that when the beds made up in a VW or similar sized camper there is little or no room left for anything else such as toilet facility so we may as well just use what we have and enjoy 50mpg and the ability to go absolutely anywere.

I will update on how the weekend trial goes next week but in the meantime has anyone else done anything similar or have any comments on our cunning plan ?

edit PS

The citroen has twin sliding doors so awning at the nearside and easy entry into sleeping area, use awning for cooking and lounging.

Hi ips..

When you have mentioned campervans previously, trying out your awning with the Berlingo was something I suggested you try...

More often than not, when set up on site, swb VWs and Bongos etc, only tend to be used as "bedrooms" anyway, with most of the living and cooking being done outside or in an awning...

So it's certainly a very *doable option in my view.... ;-)

(* We do see quite a few "MPV" type vehicles on festival campsites, that are being used as "pseudo" campervans...although whether or not some "ordinary" campsites would see you as a "campervan", is something you'd have to ask on a case by case basis.... ;-) )

Missed the edit! *-)

Just to add, also maybe look at knocking together a *self contained kitchen unit, that fits across the rear tailgate opening. That way it could be used on route and when on site, it could get lifted out and sat in the awning..

(*something that can have the cooker, sink bowl, pans utensil etc, all housed in the one unit?)..

eg:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mazda+bongo+removable+kitchen+unit&qs=AS&form=QBIR&pq=mazda+bongo+removable+kitchen&sc=2-29&sp=2&sk=AS1

I have even seen some neat ones, adapted from simple(cheap!) Ikea type cupboards..

This one , below, looks quite neat....

1099107083_Tailgatekitchen.jpg.21c0514f079ae96eebaef3108ff5f326.jpg

Hi pepe

your right you did but it took a while for me to consider it to be viable. Yes i have researched these boot jump things as they call them and after a few trials we will have better idea of what are requirements are and may well fabricate something. As you say campers used as bedroom and awning is a must so the micro option should be very do able and hopefully quite good back to semi basic fun.

Watch this space for further reports.

Cheers

That picture looks just like a trailer tent kitchen! These are often sold off cheaply when the TT has to be scrapped, might be worth looking on preloved etc. they usually come with legs, so could stand in the awning for more alfresco, possibly safer, cooking.

I made something very similar but a lot more basic (crude!) to fit my mini van in 1963.

Just a simple box across the back (or side) of the van with plywood hole of a size that a washing up bowl sat inside it and another hole that a two burner gas hob also sat flush with the top.

The was just enough storage underneath for a small camping gaz bottle and a small water container as well as crocks, cutlery kettle and fry pan and the whole thing had a simple lid which covered it and made a convenient seat when lifted out.

There was insufficient space for two to go to bed in comfort with it inside the van and it often ended up on the roof rack, which is why it often ended up being outside overnight and so ended up painted to match the van - willow green as I recall!!

Thats a good question. Mrs ips loves it but like me also likes back to basic camping. There are many pros to the caravan but also equally as many cons and the same for motorhomes imo.

to be honest I am not totally happy with it but not sure were to go from here.

Tracker - 2014-07-30 9:34 PM

Would a caravan capable of being towed by a car/camper be too small?

Sorry Rich', you've lost me there... ip's current van, is already capable of being towed by his current Berlingo /"pseudo-camper"....:-S

The campervan and small caravan(even a folding camper) combo, is something we have toyed with but if the "campervan" & awning set up is perfectly usable, as there's only the two of us, we couldn't envisage at what point we would opt to drag the caravan as well..?

I think ip's "dipping his toe" with the vehicle he has(and using the awning / camping kit he has), is a good way to try it out...and it's costing nowt. ;-)

Sorry - I was under the impression that the Ipses had a larger tow car as well as the Berlingo?

If the Berlingo tows OK I don't see what the problem is as per his last posting - apart from fitting it all in?

The potential flexibility of the concept has often tempted us over the years but I kinda feel that for us at least a Berlingo sized car as an overnight camper is just a bit too cramped and a VW T4 or 5 a wee bit too big for comfort as an everyday car. Maybe a larger MPV style car would fit the bill?

Yes, I would agree that something Berlingo(or even low roofed, Mazda Bongo) sized may seem a little cramped(especially after a caravan and a CB motorhome!)but I think it's better to just think of them as a dry, secure "bed", as much as anything....

So I think the success of ips's "project" would hinge on:

a) The bed! ..if you wake up with a screaming bad back, it won't matter how much room you have!

We have a decent futon/bed settee mattress, sat on a removable slide out bed frame(so not just thrown on the floor).This also gives loads of storage underneath...

b) The size and ease of pitching of the awning.

We've only used our Hiace "camping-van" a few times without the awning..and although we still slept okay, it obviously made for a more claustrophobic and far less pleasant experience... :-S

pepe63 - 2014-07-31 9:32 AM

Tracker - 2014-07-30 9:34 PM

Would a caravan capable of being towed by a car/camper be too small?

Sorry Rich', you've lost me there... ip's current van, is already capable of being towed by his current Berlingo /"pseudo-camper"....:-S

The campervan and small caravan(even a folding camper) combo, is something we have toyed with but if the "campervan" & awning set up is perfectly usable, as there's only the two of us, we couldn't envisage at what point we would opt to drag the caravan as well..?

I think ip's "dipping his toe" with the vehicle he has(and using the awning / camping kit he has), is a good way to try it out...and it's costing nowt. ;-)

Spot on pepe, our 115bhp berlingo tows the 3.9m caravan no problem and is well within tow weight, its the XTR model and has stiffened / higher rear suspension (apparently) Its only a small 2 berth but is a dealer special edition and has absolutely every conceivable option fitted, BUT towing however easy is still a drag (pardon the pun) The drive away fits the berlingo spot on (pics to follow next week) and I see no problem or issues with the bed size or comfort in the berlingo but again I will report back next week.

So VW base vehicle - 18k plus home build conversion - 2k or pro conversion - 12k

VW California - 42k

PVC such as autocruise - 45k

Used 5yr old VW or similar with a million miles on clock - 25k

Berlingo and drive away for summer weekends and caravan for weeks hols - zero k

I'll be watching for your posts mr ips ,have looked on utube at the blowup awnings and they look very good , i bet you could adapt one for your berlingo and your caravan,what sort of caravan did you get and is it okay to tow ? Cheers pp:). We are thinking of getting a swb transit and a caravan :

Archived