snooper sat nav

camocam1

Just want a good quality product to get me where I am going by putting in MH sizes etc and so avoiding low bridges etc

For last 2 years the boss has used a map and we have ended up on some very minor roads and as new MH is longer and wider would prefer to avoid these if I can

Guest peter
Very good, but updates cost an arm and a leg and they are very bad at replying to Email enquiries. I've got a 7" one (ooh matron), and would think twice about replacing it with another at over £400.

we have the S8000, sound volume is poor but we play it through AUX in on the van cd player so it is just good enough. We have mp3 player on ours so you can load your music on and when the directions are given it overrides the music which we like. It also has a TV tuner, never used it=pointless.

We bought it as we tow with the motorhome, never had a problem being taken down a wrong road and the ACSI and poi's are good. You still need a god map to check your routes.

Ours has free lifetime map updates, but make sure you get the larger SD card if you want to use the MP3 player .Battery life if not on charge is crap.

Overall it is OK, Personally I think it is too expensive for what it is and the poor sound quality.

I get lots of emails from snooper about their new products, not just satnav, but I would not be tempted to buy any of them as they seem to do nothing about the major design problem with the satnav so I am doubtful of the quality of their other products.

I probably would have sent it back but we bought it and went on a six month trip,mp3 player stopped working after a few weeks but was repaired quickly when we returned.

Hope that helps.

camocam1 - 2014-07-29 10:38 PM

Just want a good quality product to get me where I am going by putting in MH sizes etc and so avoiding low bridges etc

For last 2 years the boss has used a map and we have ended up on some very minor roads and as new MH is longer and wider would prefer to avoid these if I can

Then be aware of how these devices (Snooper, or other "truck" versions) work.

The underlying mapping presently does not contain information on actual road widths, only on legal restrictions on vehicles of over certain widths. In addition, the mapping contains information on legal weight restrictions, and on low bridges. So, if your van is taller, wider, or heavier than a partiular restriction permits, it will not take you that way. However, if otherwise left to its own devices, it would then happily route you down those narrow roads on which there are no legal width restrictions, but which are uncomfortably tight for larger vehicles, of which there are many thousands of miles around Europe. Generally, to try to avoid this behaviour, the routing logic seems set to prioritise main roads, where such restrictions do not arise (it is, after all, aimed at the 40 tonne artic driver!), and will only use minor roads as you near your eventual destination. This can result in longer routes, where perfectly viable and more direct minor roads exist but are rejected, and travel on busier roads, likely to carry more trucks. If this suits your preferences, you will generally be happy with the result.

Both Garmin and TomTom produce "truck" type sat navs. One drawback of the Snooper machines is that you cannot load your own POIs to them, and there seems to be some delay getting these loaded by Snooper on your behalf. The Garmin and TomTom machines do not, AFAIK, suffer this drawback. All comments will relate to devices people own and use. This is a market where the technology is evolving very fast, so many such comments will relate to experiences with machines that are now obsolete - so do your homework very carefully.

I have the S7000 for the last 3 years; for 2 years it was a disaster: returned a few times but always returned stating it was working properly.

Had a long chat with their service dpt early this year resulting in the return of the unit again . This time they replaced some part of the electronics and apart from poor sound quality it has performed perfectly on a recent 6 week trip.

The unit is a joy when working properly but unfortunately Snooper has too many obstacles (jobworths) between the user and the fixer!

A word of warning: Do not think the Snooper will keep you out of trouble simply because you supply it with info such as configuration,weight and dimensions -IT WILL NOT! I'm not sure of the tech reasons why not but because we tow a trailer/car we have learnt to double check with Google, decent local maps and even dismounting the car and doing a recce !

Perhaps the Snooper is too expensive but they're all only an aid so do not think they will do it all for you! ;-)

Guest adhple

We've got one and are very happy with it. The sound volume is very good, the highest volume is too high, so we keep it at 3/4. On a recent 3000 mile trip we did not have to refer to the map book once. Directs you to the camp site entrance. Excellent mapping but can send along cycle path so keep eyes on the road! (The road had recently been rebuilt and the old road had become the cycle path!) Excellent piece of kit now we are use to it, we would not go back to the Tom Tom, although we keep it on board as a back up

Worth the money? Yes its expensive, but my wife prefers to see the countryside rather than looking at a map all the time. So yes good value and stops the arguing in the cab!

Hi, we bought a snooper ventura caravan club edition some considerable time ago when they first appeared.

my main complaint concerns trying to set up a multy destination route, ie from a to b to then d etc, using waypoint map references.. there is no easy logical way of doing it.

I wanted to plot a route across france using a combination of France passion and aires with known Acsi andCamping check sites.

Each uses slightly different format for coordinates and /or postcodes.

I am used to using an ancient Garmin quest device, and with it I can draw the route, on screen of laptop, then bend it around to suit. I

A very easy way of route planning.

with snooper, you have to set up a list of "favourites" first, and then try to set up multyroute to visit the favourites in the sequence you wish to visit. Since Snooper knows we have a motorhome, and as France passion sites are frequently off the main road networks, its routeing choices are "interesting " to say the least, and it frequently insisted in trying to make us use motorways.. not really suitable for the purpose..

In retrospect, snooper is a bad choice for us, and as others have said, trying to add your own poi data is not possible, and has to go through snooper, and that creates copyright problems.

one day, I will flog it on and revert to something like a modern version of Garmin Quest..

snooper was a bad choice for our purpose., and its internal battery is pathetic and wont hold a charge more than a few minutes.

I dont recommend it.

Archived