fold out/electric steps

Hillbum

Going through some health challenges at the moment leaves me with too much time to review different MH on the internet. Only had ours for a year and not been able to use it this year other than for two nights, however this doesn't stop me from looking at what "might be" or what to change to if I ever get going again.

One question which has a little "how long is a piece of string" ring to it relates to fold out and electric steps. In general is there a weight limit for these, obviously some will be stronger than others but any thoughts would be appreciated.

My current Adria doesn't have one so the situation doesn't arise, some of my wish list vans do, but none state any weight limit. If I was at a dealer I could ask but don't know when I can get to one.

I'm not the smallest of guys (21st) (I am 6'3") but not the largest i have seen around sites.

Trying to keep my spirits up and be positive, we WILL get out there again, but probably not to Malvern as we had hoped. Even considering putting the van on a SORN for the moment. :-(

Hi Chris

Hope you are all well - including the choc lab. I'm sure you'll be well versed in motorhomes when you're up and about again.

Have a look at the usual sites for example Omnistor and you'll get all the information you require there; a search on Google will ,I'm sure, do the same.

In my opinion you are fortunate that your motorhome design doesn't include a folding step as they do give trouble and are rather expensive to replace!

Enjoy your research and I hope you're on the road again soon. Have you considered having a friend do some of the driving for you?

I have had several vans with fold out electric steps in recent years and never had any bother with any of them - apart from one years ago in the early days where I had to go down below and clean the microswitch contacts.

A lot depends on how you use the step?

Some people of even 10 stone are lacking in what I refer to as 'mechanical sympathy' being often very clumsy and heavy on their feet and this puts a lot of strain on the frame whereas when someone even of far greater weight uses the step more lightly to help themselves up into the van without putting their entire weight on it it is less prone to damage.

It there anything to stop you ignoring the electric step and carrying your own solid step?

I have seen a couple of cases of "droopy step" where the actual step was ok but the area it was bolted to was weak and had distorted. Most steps are mounted so the step is horizontal but the whole van leans as a person steps on so it actually tilts slightly down. Steps really need to initially tilt up a couple of degrees as fitted.

I found the step on my van felt a bit whippy so I bent up additional galvanised sheet brackets to spread the forcees inwards and realigned the step so it is and feels much more solid.

Hillbum,

The 'Omnistor' website gives the 'Static' weight limit for their fold out step (550 model) as 200kg which is 31 stone. So, quite a good margin, provided no-one jumps up and down on it, AND it is screwed to a solid bit of the Van.

Ray

Archived