Euro 5 emission sensor

my weekend home

Hi all. I finally have a list of the part numbers replaced as detailed in this post. These are:

51908411 sensor

1371968080 bracket

1371838080 hose

1371837080 hose

1371840080 pipe

1371839080 clip

14040611 nut

71749543 connection kit.

We have travelled a lot since this was done and no problems so hopefully it will stay that way. Hopr this is useful

Diane

my weekend home - 2014-07-29 9:21 PM

I don't know if we have just been unlucky but would be interested in any other problems experienced with the emissions sensor on the Fiat euro 5 engine. Our engine stalled near to home a week ago. It started ok but had a warning light on. We made plans to take it to the Fiat dealer but it would not then tick over. The RAC were called and diagnosed a blocked emissions filter. They took the motorhome out and revved it and it cleared and the light reset and all was ok. However it happened again and now the garage are saying its a faulty sendor. The engine is just over two years old and has not done short journeys. Anyone else had a problem?

I had this type of failure on my Euro 5 Autotrail last week, low mileage,not been used for 4 weeks, just started up and run for 10 mins every week or so. Had to take it for it's Habitation service, Engine stalled, orange 'Engine Light' on, would only just 'tick over' unable to rev the engine, after about 5 mins, found I was able to rev it a bit higher (lucky I wasn't stuck halfway out of a junction, or it could have been 'nasty') anyhow , opened bonnet and checked the Oil level, it was fine. Drove it 40 miles to have it's service (engine light on all the time !) They put the diagnostic tool on, which said DPF filter had been blocked ?? they reset the fault light, and it was ok all the way home (in 5th gear only to keep the revs up)

Bloody euro5, like anything else 'Euro' it's a pain in the backside. Can I expect more problems ??

WHY should I have to change my 'driving style' to suit a vehicle, which I drive to get maximum MPG.

So as not to 'upset' a stupid sensor, which I never specified.

>:-( Ray

Guest pelmetman
Rayjsj - 2014-11-19 8:28 PM

my weekend home - 2014-07-29 9:21 PM

I don't know if we have just been unlucky but would be interested in any other problems experienced with the emissions sensor on the Fiat euro 5 engine. Our engine stalled near to home a week ago. It started ok but had a warning light on. We made plans to take it to the Fiat dealer but it would not then tick over. The RAC were called and diagnosed a blocked emissions filter. They took the motorhome out and revved it and it cleared and the light reset and all was ok. However it happened again and now the garage are saying its a faulty sendor. The engine is just over two years old and has not done short journeys. Anyone else had a problem?

I had this type of failure on my Euro 5 Autotrail last week, low mileage,not been used for 4 weeks, just started up and run for 10 mins every week or so. Had to take it for it's Habitation service, Engine stalled, orange 'Engine Light' on, would only just 'tick over' unable to rev the engine, after about 5 mins, found I was able to rev it a bit higher (lucky I wasn't stuck halfway out of a junction, or it could have been 'nasty') anyhow , opened bonnet and checked the Oil level, it was fine. Drove it 40 miles to have it's service (engine light on all the time !) They put the diagnostic tool on, which said DPF filter had been blocked ?? they reset the fault light, and it was ok all the way home (in 5th gear only to keep the revs up)

Bloody euro5, like anything else 'Euro' it's a pain in the backside. Can I expect more problems ??

WHY should I have to change my 'driving style' to suit a vehicle, which I drive to get maximum MPG.

Well you could upgrade to the new euro 6 :D ...............and the next wonderful box of frogs of so called progress ..................I'm going the other way and replacing my 1999 engine with a 1978 ............but at least I'll be LEZ compliant (lol) ..............

Guest pelmetman
Rayjsj - 2014-11-19 8:45 PM

I'm tempted to pay someone to strip the whole lot of crap out, and turn it into a Euro 3 or even a 2.

I look for reliability when I pay a LOT of money for a vehicle, in fact RELIABILITY is the MOST important 'accessory' I expect. Ray

Your starting to sound like a Luddite (lol) ...........but at least us Luddites can fix our campers for half the price with a hammer...............not twice the price with a computer B-) .................

Guest pelmetman
Rayjsj - 2014-11-19 9:58 PM

There's nothing 'Luddite' about expecting reliability, that's what engineering endeavor has been pushing towards for as long as I can remember. Until Now. Ray

Reliability was discovered years ago ;-) .............unfortunately the EU tree huggers have taken over the asylum, and accountants have taken over the manufacturers *-) ................

My old banger has got me too Spain and back five times in the last 4 years without drama :D .............but there again like a tortoise, its happily toured around the UK & Europe for 2 and a half decades B-)..............

Guest pelmetman
peter - 2014-11-19 10:24 PM

Still boring the pants off people with your banging on about your old shed then Dave. :D

Yep ;-) ..................

At least my old shed will still be going when these modern vans have become 4 wheel statics (lol).........

Rayjsj - 2014-11-19 8:28 PM

What's the problem? You buy a vehicle, you make a choice. Flat out all the time, heavy braking, slip the clutch and things wear out fast. Use it infrequently and slowly and it clogs up. Just like the human body.

my weekend home - 2014-11-19 7:17 PM

Hi all. I finally have a list of the part numbers replaced as detailed in this post. These are:

51908411 sensor

1371968080 bracket

1371838080 hose

1371837080 hose

1371840080 pipe

1371839080 clip

14040611 nut

71749543 connection kit.

We have travelled a lot since this was done and no problems so hopefully it will stay that way. Hopr this is useful

Diane

It's very useful indeed.

Thank you.

I have done some digging and have found that this sensor is used on the vast majority of Fiat vehicles that have DPF's and is a replacement for an earlier part number 55210304. I can see that it has been changed but there is no date on the parts system for this change. My oldest Euro 5 Ducato is a 63 plate built in August 2013 and this has the later part so it is reasonable to assume that if your vehicle was built after then it will be less troublesome than the earlier ones but as yet I don't know what the cut-off date is. If anyone would like to pm me a chassis number for a vehicle built in 2012 or early 2013 I might be able to pin this down.

From the point of view of future maintenance I have found that the Fiat item is about £80 plus VAT and an after-market item is available from Andrew Page and is made by 'Febi' for about £55 plus VAT. (Quoting the later part number).

The other pipes and bits that are listed in the above repair are obviously a precautionary measure because there is nothing in the parts system that suggests the newer item is anything more than a straight swap. It would be very wise to remove any pipes attached and check that they are clean but replacement should not be necessary unless they are damaged.

To summarise;

So far we know that vehicles built after August 2013 should not be affected.

We know that going forward a cheaper replacement part is available away from Fiat dealers.

We don't necessarily need to change anything other than the sensor itself.

This does not seem to be a nightmare in waiting for when your warranty runs out!

Don't quote me on that though.

Nick

euroserv - 2014-11-20 12:29 PM

From the point of view of future maintenance I have found that the Fiat item is about £80 plus VAT and an after-market item is available from Andrew Page and is made by 'Febi' for about £55 plus VAT. (Quoting the later part number).

Only £25 from Poland, if you fancy chancing your arm on Ebay,,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-FIAT-MAP-SENSOR-55241075-0281006287-AIR-PRESSURE-SENSOR-OPEL-/161397922984

Interesting thread and thanks to all who have contributed their experiences - and a special thank you to Nick at Euro Serv too.

In September 2013 we met a British couple in Switzerland who had a '13' reg 2.3lt Ducato-based coachbuilt that had broken down the previous day. Had apparently given them quite a scare, but fortunately they were able to coast safely into a layby. Breakdown service towed them to a Fiat garage where a problem with the DPF was identified. Unfortunately, I don't know the full details, but part of the solution was for the mechanic to take the van out and drive it very hard - the owner accompanied him. They finally got back on the road, but I must say it rang alarm bells for me concerning buying a new Euro 5 van - we currently have a 2010 Euro 4, and thankfully no problems to date.

Only mention it because it is another example of a DPF-related breakdown on a newish Ducato.

Mike

Muswell - 2014-11-21 3:39 PM

Maybe it is a driver-related breakdown. This is what the AA says: "Even if your driving isn't mainly urban/stop-start, changes to driving style may be required to keep these systems working properly."

Changes to these Vehicles may be Required to get 'Reliablity' back on manufacturers agenda.

They should be built to accomodate many differant driving styles, NOT the other way around.

We are NOT all the same , I don't WANT to drive like a maniac to keep a sensor or a DPF happy,

If it causes me too much grief, and makes the vehicle unreliable, Then whatever causes it gets removed for normal driving, and possibly replaced at MOT time if necessary. Ray

Archived