weighty matters

tonyg3nwl

I have just taken the van to the weighbridge and the result was a tare of 3100 with 1420 on the front and 1680 on the rear. This with full diesel, empty water and waste, 2 persons, and kitchen utensils, crockery, twin calor lightweight gas bottles, bedding, and a few other small items. It also includes spare wheel.

van is fiat 2.3 based 09 plate Autocruise Stargazer.

I now have 400 k spare capacity so that seems a lot.

I decided to get it weighed as I was watching a tv prog the other night in which they showed a motorway cop stopping a suspected overloaded vehicle and producing a portable weighing device at the roadside.

it just made me wonder what margin I have..

have you had your van weighed ???

Tonyg3nwl

When I weighed our last van, all bar a bit of food in the fridge, I did it in absolute maximum " going away" mode.

ie full water tank, fully loaded with any & all camping-clobber we were ever likely to take(awning/chairs/camp stove etc), I even loaded some water containers, to replicate any cool boxes of beer we may sometimes carry.... (lol)

Weighed our Vantage Neo before going to France with two on board, full water, gas and fuel, all of our other stuff bar some clothes and the fridge stuff and it came to 3520 kg - 1800 front and 1720 rear. With the rest of the bits and pieces added I reckon it would be about 3550 all up so 50kg over weight. Simple answer was do dump half a tank of water, which is no problem as no need to lug that around. No problem therefore but I was surprised how close I was running and glad I took the time to check for peace of mind. Also let me check and set the tyres to the correct pressures as recommended by Continental - 52psi front, 50psi rear (they were previously all at 57 psi and the lower pressure seems to have softened the ride a bit.

It's an odd thing that many owners of vans check their weight, but it would seem very few if any car drivers do. I've seen cars come on a campsite obviously grossly overloaded, last year a Volvo 740 estate turned up in cornwall, I've never seen one so low on the rear suspension before, god knows how much it weighed.

Archived