Propane & Butane - can I link up both?

ALANSUE

Hi again.

Our Autotrail Dakota motor home has two 6kg propane cylinders fitted, great in winter but takes ages to heat up food.

In the gas cupboard, is it possible to have one 6kg propane gas fitted for cold weather use (and good to have as a back up) and a 7kg butane gas bottle fitted for general use most of the year as the butane is a hotter gas.

So can both be fitted and can I then 'switch' over to either cylinder using some sort of changeover system?

Hope that makes sense.

Thank you

Alan

Should work fine I assume you have the 30mb bulkhead regulator, then you will need a different pigtail for the butane bottle and a manual changeover valve. Gas-it do a regulator with changeover valve for under 40 quid.

Although butane has a higher calorific value & in the old days we used to run butane at 28mb and propane at 37mb. The fact the we now run both at 30mb you would expect butane to work better. From my own experience, we have noticed very little difference with new appliances, the first Dometic TEC Tower over/grills were a bit naff on propane latest generation are quite an improvement, the grill is now useable in our new van.

Guest Peter James
I use Camping Gaz 907 cylinders until I found I could get a 19kg Flogas exchange cylinder for the same price as a 2.7kg Camping Gaz exchange cylinder. So now I fill the Camping Gaz cylinders from the Flogas cylinder, which is propane, and I find it works better.

lennyhb - 2014-07-30 11:58 PM

Should work fine I assume you have the 30mb bulkhead regulator, then you will need a different pigtail for the butane bottle and a manual changeover valve. Gas-it do a regulator with changeover valve for under 40 quid.

n.

When you say a manual changeover valve, is there a reason the automatic one won't work between propane and butane cylinders?

candapack - 2014-07-31 8:09 AM

lennyhb - 2014-07-30 11:58 PM

n.

When you say a manual changeover valve, is there a reason the automatic one won't work between propane and butane cylinders?

No reason, just that the OP was looking at using propane for winter and butane for summer so not much point in the extra expense of an auto one. I also assumed the OP is a low user with only 2 x 6 kg bottles.

Archived