500 w Inverter

eddieandsue

....I suspect your 'van will have DIN (sometimes termed Hella) sockets, rather than cigarette lighter compatible ones. They are readily available, in caravan dealers, places such as Maplin, or if you search online.

BUT

....it is also unlikely that any wiring (and fuse protection) to an existing 12v outlet will be sufficient to support the current draw of a 500W inverter. If you wish to have the convenience of plugging in an inverter as and when needed, it would be advisable to wire an additional socket with appropriate section wiring and fuse directly back to the leisure battery(ies).

Don't do it!!

500 watts at 12 volts = about 42 amps current flow.

Most cigarette lighter style sockets are rated and fused at around 15 amps.

Your inverter should be hard wired directly to the leisure battery via a fused isolating switch because all the while any inverter is live it consumes power even when not in use.

That you need to ask suggests that this is best entrusted to a competent auto electrician as there is enough power in any 12 volt battery to cause serious damage or start a fire if you get it wrong.

I think you also need to say what capacity and type of leisure battery/ies you have, as 42A is a big load to put onto a true leisure battery that will have been designed for slow discharge over a long time. What are you trying to run on 240V? If you really want to do this, I think you'll need quite a battery bank, or you may risk damage to the battery/ies.

Thanks Tracker

I thought from the size of the cable that it wouldn't work, but thought it was worth an ask. Certainly wouldn't attempt hard wiring ourselves.

The electrical item I need to use an inverter for says 50/60 Hz 1.0A Maximum Input power 100-240v AC. All it is is a little dry box to put my cochlear implant processor in overnight!

As you can see we know next to nothing about electrics so any advice would help.

eddieandsue - 2014-08-01 5:58 PM

Thanks Tracker

I thought from the size of the cable that it wouldn't work, but thought it was worth an ask. Certainly wouldn't attempt hard wiring ourselves.

The electrical item I need to use an inverter for says 50/60 Hz 1.0A Maximum Input power 100-240v AC. All it is is a little dry box to put my cochlear implant processor in overnight!

As you can see we know next to nothing about electrics so any advice would help.

You don't get owt for nowt with electricity and there is a very basic formula that is Amps x Volts = Watts, watts being the amount of electricity consumed .

So 1 amp at 12 volts is 12 watts - not a lot!

However that same 1 amp at 230 volts is 230 watts and to supply that 230 watts will take 230 divided by 12 = almost 20 amps at 12 volts - so already too much for a 12 v cigarette socket.

I don't know enough to advise but if your cochlear device is electronically sensitive it is possible that you may need to use what is known as a 'pure sine wave' inverter rather than the less expensive 'modified sine wave' that most inverters tend to be?

No doubt someone else will along soon to clarify that but as it is something you depend on it ought to be checked - unless you have already used it without any problems!

Sorry I have not explained well but I am a rubbish teacher which is why I never taught for a living!

No, its just that I bought a 500 w inverter 4 years ago thinking I could use it to dry my hair, then read the instructions which said "Do not use for heated appliances!"

The dry box is just to extract any moisture from my cochlear implant processor, it will not be affected by sine waves.

Maybe I've got this wrong again, but are we being mislead by the '1 amp' max on the dryer's plug?

Maybe the actual current draw at 230 v is much less than 1 amp?

We have our old faithful 650 watt inverter which is only used to power anything that won't work off 12 volts, currently the camera battery charger at a stated 0.2 amps or a heated hair brush at 400 watts which serves as a sort of hair dryer.

A similar low wattage hair styling brush (Argos or Amazon - other suppliers are available) might be of use to you and they are inexpensive?

Personally I would get the inverter hard wired with switch and fuse in the longer term but meanwhile you can certainly try it crocodile clipped to the battery to confirm that it does what you need before spending out? Remember to unclip and remove after use or you may flatten your battery.

Archived