7400 miles, three years old, do I need a Fiat a Ducato 130 service?

DaveTodd

Greeting.

Have become the proud owner of a 2011 Auto-Trail Tracker with the Fiat Ducato 130 and It's never had a service.

With 7400 miles when I enter that in the Fiat Camper web site it tells me I've another 37,000 to go.

Phoned the fiat Dealer and asked if per chance it would need at least a software upgrade and he said "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

I know these long life oils are super but before I head for France in September it would be good to know others thoughts please.

Thanks,

Dave

Hiya Dave, and welcome to the nuthouse. No doubt, as with all things there will be a diversity of views unfold so I'll start with my two pennerth.

Personally if it were mine I would have it serviced before I went on a long haul because servicing is not only mileage based but time based too and even long life oils are supposed to be changed every two years. Personally I would have replaced any oil after a year on a new engine and again there will be debate whether you need to but for the cost of a gallon of oil and a filter I would!

I suppose you might consider a habitation check too as I doubt this has been done either although I am less than convinced these checks are worth the paper the tick boxes are printed on! At the very least get the gas, water and electrics, particularly the leisure battery(ies) checked over by someone who knows how they should work.

I wouldn't normally use a main dealer out of warranty (yes I know I don't have to use one in warranty either) but for a first service where they should plug it into Fiat diagnostics you never know what it might find that might want updating.

Subsequent services I would find a decent local independent light commercial garage preferably with some experience of motorhomes or at least Ducatos.

I also suggest you give it a good run in the UK and have a few nights in it before you hit the ferry so that you too know how it all works!

It's a very low mileage for 3 years old and you have to wonder how long it was standing before the body was fitted on. It definitely needs an oil and filter change at least. I once bought a very low mileage motorhome and had to have a new clutch and brake discs fitted due to rust, never again. What about the tyres, are there any noticeable cracks due to standing?

You may find, in the small print of your travel / breakdown insurance that they require your van to have been serviced at some time before your trip.

From memory, mine says within the last three months, but that would mean getting mine serviced twice a year, which I don't do !

;-)

Even though the body may be 2011, check in the fiat handbook when the chassis and engine were manufactured, it could be a lot earlier and it could have stood around at Auto Trail for a while. Vans need running to keep them functioning and as well as a service I'd have the brake pads and discs checked, not just visually but the pads taken out and examined, there's a thread on here about pads crumbling in their calipers through rust.

Personally I'd rather have a vehicle that has done 10,000 miles year than 2,000.

I had mine serviced at 12,000 and 5 years which was the second service, but the fuel filter housing wasn't fastened properly and leaked when in Ireland. Apparently is a common occurrence.

I would get it serviced at least every two years but I would also get it at least looked over every year. I used a local garage rather than a Fiat dealer, as I do for our cars.

Especially of your MH lives outdoors checking brake discs etc. is important. It isn't just a question of engine oil and filters.

My Fiat handbook states service required at 24 months, also if a UK registered vehicle, (which as an Autotrail, it should be) the warranty expires at 3 years, So it would be prudent to have a service & th check any warranty issues are sorted .

We have our van serviced every year! Always have done. We average about 5000 to 6000 miles a year.

Even my car that does about 1000 miles a year now , still gets a service every year, in order to keep the manufactures warranty (7 year) valid.

PJay

Getting our Auto Trail Tracker a 2005 model serviced this coming week like we did last year after doing about 9500 miles this year. We have had "Tiva" for 2 years and she was serviced with new cam belt when we picked her up, all van's cost a lot of money and a service is well worth the cost IMO . I don't want problems while many miles from home like down in Slovenia or Spain, both places visited this year, at last years service we had Dave Newall (Diamond Dave) do both the engine and habitation check and he changed the front brake disks as he said lots of vans don't do the miles so things like disks suffer with corrosion problems,not a good thing and only found out at the service .

Get it serviced you know it makes sense...... have fun in your new van, the Tracker is a great touring MH just make sure you use it not leave it parked up on your drive. B-)

Guest pelmetman
PJay - 2014-08-02 8:17 AM

We have our van serviced every year! Always have done.

PJay

Ditto B-)..................Preventative maintenance prevents breakdowns ;-).............

PS.....just to add I would have any service done a few weeks before any major trip, as sometimes the experts do get it wrong :D................

pelmetman - 2014-08-03 6:10 PM

PJay - 2014-08-02 8:17 AM

We have our van serviced every year! Always have done.

PJay

Ditto B-)..................Preventative maintenance prevents breakdowns ;-).............

PS.....just to add I would have any service done a few weeks before any major trip, as sometimes the experts do get it wrong :D................

I second that. The last service I had done the garage put in 7 litres of oil instead of the 9.7 required as he thought my vehicle 3 litre engine was the 130bhp version. It was only when I heard the engine rattling after a 100 miles or so that I bothered to check. The lesson is check your oil after a service. Fortunately the engine seems to be OK and back to its quiet self.

Guest machra

Fiat do a 'low usage' service for vehicles like motorhomes that do low mileage.

I had mine done this year having covered 3000 miles. Email Fiat and ask for the check sheet and you will see what is covered.

Archived