Smart Meters

woody.

SSE have informed me they need to replace my old electrricity and gas meters and wish to replace them with smart meters , mm im not sure , i suppose i could refuse smart meters and ask for dumb meters , but would they then charge me more on my bills for doing so , also i have heard a lot of stories about these smart meters and how they could damage ones health and ones bank balance too mmm what do you guys think about these things ? :-S

We switched from SSE to NPower due to lower cost earlier this year and having been with Npower before they do seem less obstructive and more helpful than SSE?

Go to the USwitch website, (other comparison websites are available!), do a comparison, call SSE and quote the website and the cost savings and offer to switch unless they can offer you a better deal with no smart meter - that should get their attention - and if it don't - switch suppliers!!

Personally I have nothing against smart meters, and I certainly can't be bothered to faff about checking consumption, but it is not often that we the consumers have any bargaining power over the energy companies so now might be as good a time as any to make best use of it!

I doubt they will use it against you - yet! Maybe when almost everyone has one and they have more computer control over what we use and when we use it we might find ourselves paying more at peak times and less at quiet times. Dangerous things computers in the hands of the greedy?

I've had a smart meter ( for electrics ) for about 10 months now and haven't died, so I'm not sure what the health risks are.

The only difference as far as I know is that the meter sends readings directly to your supplier so they don't have to come round and read the meter.

I find the little monitor that shows usage quite interesting- by switching various things on and off you can tell which appliances use the most power.

In our case it's the kettle which costs most, a massive 40 pence a minute to boil enough water for two cups of tea.

Must say I have not yet noticed any sudden increases in charges - but then I haven't really checked very closely yet.

;-)

p.s. mine was all supplied free of charge.

Guest pelmetman

Yee Gods 8-) .......................I'm only ever going to use our kettle on hook up........ on sites without meters ;-)........

malc d - 2014-08-01 9:56 PM

In our case it's the kettle which costs most, a massive 40 pence a minute to boil enough water for two cups of tea.

....maybe not so smart a meter (or reader ;-) )

Sorry Malc, the figure looked so high I just had to do the math (as the 'merkins say).

Assuming a probable worst case of a 3kW kettle, the consumption per minute would be 0.05kWh.

I'm paying (in round terms) 11p per kWh, so the cost to me per minute for a 3kW kettle wouldn't be much over ½p.

(of course, given all the complaints about energy companies, maybe you've found one that does charge you 40p per minute for the kettle).

Robinhood - 2014-08-02 9:37 AM

malc d - 2014-08-01 9:56 PM

....maybe not so smart a meter (or reader ;-) )

Sorry Malc, the figure looked so high I just had to do the math (as the 'merkins say).

Assuming a probable worst case of a 3kW kettle, the consumption per minute would be 0.05kWh.

I'm paying (in round terms) 11p per kWh, so the cost to me per minute for a 3kW kettle wouldn't be much over ½p.

(of course, given all the complaints about energy companies, maybe you've found one that does charge you 40p per minute for the kettle).

You are absolutely right of course Robin -

Just had a look at the meter and the displayed figures are of course per HOUR and not per minute.

The display was described as a " guide to power use" for consumers by the engineer who installed it

( No doubt it will reach 40p per minute in the next few years ! )

:-D

woody. - 2014-08-01 9:37 PM

SSE have informed me they need to replace my old electrricity and gas meters and wish to replace them with smart meters , mm im not sure , i suppose i could refuse smart meters and ask for dumb meters , but would they then charge me more on my bills for doing so , also i have heard a lot of stories about these smart meters and how they could damage ones health and ones bank balance too mmm what do you guys think about these things ? :-S

I don't know if you are aware Woody but the government plan is to have smart meters in everyones homes by 2020 - so I'm not sure how you will stand if you don't want one.

As you suggest they will probably charge you more if you haven't got one.

;-)

I draw a comparison with water meters.

For many people it is less expensive to have a water meter than to pay for water and sewage based on the rateable value, but I suspect that as soon as everyone has a meter that situation mat be reversed?

It may be compulsory in 2020 but it ain't in 2014!

Im quite happy with my utility bills at the moment , the electricity bill is i reckon as low as possible without having to sit in the dark or watch the meter turning , so i dont think that a smart meter and monitor is going to help me save anymore money than im doing at the moment infact i would probably put the monitor in a drawer to save the wife from watching it and bothering herself and me no end ,i prefer a nice peaceful life . I think ill just forget about it and wait until the power company approaches me then ill argue the the toss with them and ask if the meter can be switched from smart to dumb and if not why not . ;-)

woody. - 2014-08-02 6:45 PM

. I think ill just forget about it and wait until the power company approaches me then ill argue the the toss with them and ask if the meter can be switched from smart to dumb and if not why not . ;-)

I just had a look at a Consumers Association website where it says that smart meters will NOT be compulsory - and so called ' dumb ' meters will still be available.

The only ' saving ' I can see is that the power companies won't have to come round to read a smart meter any more .- no actual savings for customers.

;-)

Archived