Just bought my first motorhome!

harryb1966

Hi folks,

I'm looking for as much advice as you can chuck at me!

Just bought my first motorhome, a 2003 Auto Sleeper Ravenna, and I'm really pleased. It's spotless and only has 34,000 on the clock, but all of a sudden I'm feeling a tad daunted at owning it.

What basics should I know about before venturing out?

Harry

Sure we all felt that way at first, if you can I would suggest staying a night on the driveway or close to home till you get used to how everything works. Just take your time driving till you are used to the MH

Make a list of things to check for before you set off and when you get to site for example

Before setting off check the following

Power cable unplugged

TV arieal down

Gas switched off

Doors and windows closed and locked

Make sure everything stowed away in cupboads

Walk round MH and check everything

When you be to site

Check for level and use rampscas required

Connect EHU

Switch on gas remembering to take off ant flue covers

Fill with water

Then sit back and have a beer or a glass of wine

Generaly when I fill the fresh water I also empty the waste (grey) water as it is usually smaller than the fresh one

Empty toilet cassette regularly

The list is endless but gets easier each time you venture out but the main thing is grout and use it and enjoy

Guest pelmetman
harryb1966 - 2014-08-01 10:31 PM

Hi folks,

I'm looking for as much advice as you can chuck at me!

Just bought my first motorhome, a 2003 Auto Sleeper Ravenna, and I'm really pleased. It's spotless and only has 34,000 on the clock, but all of a sudden I'm feeling a tad daunted at owning it.

What basics should I know about before venturing out?

Harry

It's a bit like sex ...............enjoy the moment......................hopefully you'll bond and have a long term relationship B-)................some are not satisfied with their first moho ........and seek newer grass in the belief it will be better....... because they are green.............so carry on seeking the unobtainable..............

"The Campervan nirvana of the perfect Compromise" ............

Hence they spend much dosh and time seeking perfection (lol)...................and forget why they first lusted after.................a "Campervan"..............

Remember why you bought it ;-)................

First thing make sure you get out and enjoy your new van and have fun it will be great.

Not sure what equipment you have but things like electric cable and ramps are a must. For the toilet we use Alde's bio washing liquid (much cheaper than proper stuff and smells better). Lined our draws with that grippy non slip stuff helps reduce any noise while traveling. Get a Silver Screen the outside one, it helps reduce condensation.

Try talking to other MH owners on a site, most of us like talking about our fantastic hobby. B-)

take all advice with a big pinch of salt. deal with each problem as it arises. don't spend money on gadgets and equipment you think you may need. wait and see what you actually need. you have a finite weight limit. use it wisely. just a few thoughts. how far do you want me to go. enjoy discovering your own answers and, most important of all, enjoy yourselves.

clifford60 - 2014-08-02 2:01 PM

....don't spend money on gadgets and equipment you think you may need. wait and see what you actually need. you have a finite weight limit. use it wisely....

..most important of all, enjoy yourselves.

You beat me to it!

I was just about to say, don't be in a rush to be spending money on the likes of drive-away awnings...solar panels..multiple batteries..re-fillable gas systems..satellite dishes..etc

Not until it's been established that they are actually needed for YOUR usage. ;-)

Just use it for what it is and have fun with it... :-D

Archived