Hymer exsisi 562 2013 premium 50. Payload

skibud

Hi new to this so bear with me please. We are looking to buy our first van and like the look of this make model. My question is about the payload, which I think is 670kg. It appears generous, but after awning, solar panel gas bottles, TV etc, what are we really left to play around with and what does that mean practically?

Is this good or should I continue to look, we don't want to go any bigger and like the Hymers

99% of the time there are just the two of us, albeit the model sleeps four, we are unlikely to be carrying two additional passengers on many occasions, however it may happen.

I am sure this has been asked many times, but we don't want to get it wrong. We like the slightly more compact size, fixed single/double bed garage for the bikes and bits.

We would welcome any of your comments advice.

Welcome to the forum...

...whilst I can't find the specification in the 2013 UK pricelist, the German one here:

http://www.hymer.com/de/katalog-und-kontakt/e-kataloge/download.html?file=1188

.....indicates that the payload is somewhat less than you quote at 532kg.

A good few of the items that you might otherwise have to make further allowance for are luckily "standard" for the Premium 50 model, to which the above payload applies.

Within that payload some allowance will have been made for driver, fuel , water, etc., but since Hymer generally allow only 20kg of water, a single aluminium gas bottle, and 75kg for the driver, it is very likely that you will have to make some further allowance.

In reality, you would have somewhere around 500kg for a van empty of accessories, effects and passengers, but with the driver on board and otherwise "ready to go".

This is certainly viable for 2, and probably not over-restrictive unless you want to add a lot of accessories, and/or extra passengers with a lot of belongings. I'd suggest you do an estimate of all the extra weights (the above Hymer info may be of help for such things as awnings, etc.)

I run a Ford based vehicle of around the same weight and layout, and come in about 3400kg all-up with two of us on board, equipped for a 4 week trip and with relatively heavy e-Bikes.

If overall weight estimates are OK, then axle weights should not be a major concern. The Transit generally has ample loading margin on the rear axle, (where much of any additional weight will go) but it can get a bit light (though IMO sustainable) on the front one if the garage is well-loaded.

Hope this helps.

...BTW, I can see where you got the 670kg figure from, but the 532kg I show above is the "pukka" figure for the premium 50 model.

The 670kg is the figure for the absolute basic model (which is fairly down-spec in usual German fashion). The premium 50 was a special (run-out) edition; it is on an up-spec Transit base, and has other options as standard, (as outlined in the linked document). Many of which would have been dealer-specified anyway on a UK model. (uprated engine, air-con, electric windows and mirrors, etc. etc.), but all eat into the non-special edition based 670kg payload.

The 532kg payload outlined in the specific documentation I've linked to means you can avoid having to calculate the effect of all of these additions yourself (though you may want to investigate whether any of the remaining small number of option have also been added).

The remainder of my comments above still apply.

The Ford chassis based Exsis finished production in 2012, payloads were good on the Ford models.

Hymer mass in running order figures are given on the base vehicle, in the case of the Premium it will be the basic version without any extras or packs and will include 100% fuel, 20 Lt water, driver at 75 kg and 1 x 11kg aluminum gas bottle.

Ask to have a look at the Certificate of Conformity it will show Mass in Running Order which will give the base vehicle figure, and Technical Mass in Running Order which will include factory fitted options, i.e. weight it left the factory with the above allowances. An awning can add 45 kg 2nd battery 30 kg (will be included in the Technical Mass if factory fitted) so payload can be drastically reduced by adding a few extras.

Brochure weight are plus/minus 5%, both Hymers we have had have been minus 50 kg.

The 670 figure came from this

http://presse2010.hymer.com/csd-2010/Prices_technical_data_GB/Motorhome/TD_HYMER_Exsis-i_SilverLine_GB.pdf

It relates to the 2011 exsis i silverline we were looking at, but I also have an option of the premium 50, which is obviously a newer van.

I would prefer the newer van, but the payload question stopped me short. All very confusing for a none tech bod, but I think I get it and thank you for your time in responding.

:-D

....yes, I'd found (the equivalent of) that.

It shows a weight devoid of options (i.e. the basic, factory-orderable state, that never actually gets shipped).

There will also be an associated list of options for which individual weights will be quoted.

The most obvious difference on your reference to the Silverline is the 115ps engine (as against the 140ps normally shipped in the UK, and standard on the Premium 150, but it will also be without air-con, electric windows and mirrors, central locking, passenger airbag, etc. etc. and also some habitation options all fitted as standard to the Premium 50.)

The 532kg figure for the Premium 50 already accounts for those items (and is hence less than the 760kg you show for the Silverline).

BUT NOTE

any Silverline you are looking at (and particularly if it is UK RHD supplied) will have many/most of those options fitted as well, and the 670kg, quoted as ex-works for the basic van, in this case will not account for them, and will need to reduced significantly to give you the actual payload. My bet is that there will be very little difference between the figures for the two vehicles if this is done.

Either should have ample provision for two people - running with 4 will need care.

Edit:

correct typo on 760 to 670kg

Probably spoke to soon:

The Mass in running order for the silverline is 2830.

http://presse2010.hymer.com/csd-2010/Prices_technical_data_GB/Motorhome/TD_HYMER_Exsis-i_SilverLine_GB.pdf

The mass in running order for the premium 50 is 2968

Does that mean that in reality they will probably work out similar because of inclusive extras or is the silverline better?

(?) (?) :$ :$

....as an example, the Silverline Paket (bundle) that adds the uprated engine, cab electrics aircon, etc is by itself quoted at 75kg in 2010 - so the difference starts to make sense (needs to be subtracted from the 670kg quoted for the Silverline; the equivalent already allowed for in the 532kg for the Premium 50).

Doesn't take much more of the same to even things up.

(and I mistakenly used 760kg rather than 670kg above - so gone back and edited) ;-)

Edit to add:

From the price lists, the remainder of the difference (roughly 65kg) seems to be comprised of the front drop-down bed. This is standard (and within the quoted weight) for the Premium 50; the Silverline is quoted as standard with front cupboards, with the drop-down bed being a 65kg option (and fitted in many/most UK spec vans).

I think this just about accounts for everything, and I suspect the Silverline will have effectively the same payload as the Premium 50.

....you're getting there. ;-)

Most UK supplied Silverlines (and I suspect may LHD ones) will come with the high-value upgrade Silverline Paket, at an additional 75kg weight over and above the quoted basic MIRO.

This comprises (pardoning the Google translation):

Ford Transit 350 M / L, 2.2 TDCi, 103 kW / 140 PS, (as opposed to 115ps)

Exterior colour silver metallic

Designabklebung Silverline including Designabklebung rear

Air conditioning (cab)

Mirrors suspended in silver painted HYMER-exclusive heated and electrically adjustable

Pilot seats, adjustable with integrated three-point seat belts, belt tensioners,

Driver and passenger airbags

Darkening system for driver's cabin

Wood decor Application dashboard

Insect screen at the entrance door

Driver's door with electric window

HYMER panorama roof vent 80 x 50 cm, double glazed with lighting in the living room

Refrigerator, volume 89 litres

3-burner hob

Radio / television including TFT mount preparation, loudspeakers, DVD and sound cabling and radio aerial

Audio system 6000 with CD player and steering wheel remote control

Awning light with rain deflector

It is also likely to have the front drop-down bed in lieu of cupboards, at an additional weight of 65kg

Though it may also have other options, that is already 140kg less than the 670kg (i.e. 530kg)

The Premium 50 model has all the above (or their near-equivalent) as standard, and the quoted payload includes them, at 532kg (almost exactly the same).

This is entirely logical, and assuming the Silverline is of the above spec (I'm virtually certain it will be), then there is little to choose between them as far as weight is concerned.

skibud - 2014-08-03 12:27 PM

...My german and translate appears to suggest a weight difference with the silverline pack as you say and two engine options 115bhp and 140bhp. I presume and forgive me for sounding daft the bigger engine is heavier....

There is a very small weight difference between the 115PS and 140PS 2.2litre Ford motors, with the 140PS version being a nominal 2.0kg (two kilograms) heavier. I’d guess the weight increase comes from the more powerful motor having a different turbocharger and (possibly) a larger intercooler.

skibud - 2014-08-03 10:29 AM

Probably spoke to soon:

The Mass in running order for the silverline is 2830.

The mass in running order for the premium 50 is 2968

Does that mean that in reality they will probably work out similar because of inclusive extras or is the silverline better?

(?) (?) :$ :$

Ignore the Mass in running order get the "Technical Mass in Running order" from the C of C that will be the figure with all the factory fitted options.

If the 2013 vehicle is secondhand (there are quite a few unregistered ‘old’ motorhomes on the market), then obtaining the CofC may not be straightforward.

I was given a CofC when I bought my Hobby motorhome new in Germany, but I’m not sure what happens CofC-wise when a vehicle is sold in the UK. Certainly, when I bought a new car in the UK in 2009, I was not given a CofC (though I expect the selling dealership had one).

• 3 months later...

Just as an observation on this thread!

Hymer carried on producing the Exsis-i 562 up to and including 2014 models in LHD.

I have seen 2014 models with Ford chassis manufacture dates from the end of 2013 which surprised me as I assumed Hymer had some old Ford chassis's and they were just using them up.

Anyway, might be useful information for somebody!

future1 - 2014-12-04 9:49 AM

Just as an observation on this thread!

Hymer carried on producing the Exsis-i 562 up to and including 2014 models in LHD.

I have seen 2014 models with Ford chassis manufacture dates from the end of 2013 which surprised me as I assumed Hymer had some old Ford chassis's and they were just using them up.

Anyway, might be useful information for somebody!

That seems very odd as they have not listed them since 2012, also Hymer's chassis to conversion time is usually very quick, often less than a month between the two build dates not like other manufacturers who have chassis lying around for over a year (Carthgo to name one).

Seven still for sale new on mobile.de, described as 2014 models, asking prices between €55,000 and €60,000, of which two are premium 50 models. If you want LHD, and the layout suits, good vans for the money. They may be 2013 production and not 2014, and have possibly been on the dealers forecourts for a year or so.

The premium 50 was the run out model listed in the 2012 literature and would not been in production until 2013. New models displayed at Dusseldorf in August normally delivered from Jan following year.

I think the dealers are pushing it a bit with their add stating 2014 in the headline. As you say Brian unregistered 2013 stock.

2014 Exsis-i 562 Premiums (and 2014 Exsis-i 512 Premiums) are also being offered for sale on French motorhome dealerships’ website. However, the 2014 date is not being applied to the year of manufacture, but to Hymer’s 2014 ‘collection’ (ie. Hymer’s 2014 ‘model-year’).

The collection/model-year idea is intended to differentiate between motorhome models that are built in the same calendar year but might have revised specifications, allowing buyers of new or secondhand vehicles to be more aware that specification changes may have been made.

The 2014 ‘collection’ year will have commenced in the latter half of the previous year, when the motorhome manufacturers first make their brochures/prices available and before the major European shows take place.

I have a Rapido 640 on order with a planned delivery date in Spring 2015. This is a Rapido 2015-collection model, but it was announced prior to the 2014 German Dusseldorf show and examples were at French dealerships in September 2014. The 2015-collection Rapido 640 differs from the 2014-collection Rapido 640 regarding the base-vehicle (Ducato X290 instead of X250) and there are also conversion changes, with the 2015-collection model having different windows and a step in the living-area floor having been removed. The 2015-collection 640 began to be built in 2014 and will continue to be built unchanged until the 2nd half of 2015 when the 2016-collection version will appear (unless Rapido decides to drop the 640 model of course).

Each October the French Magazine “Camping-Car” lists the motorhomes that will be available for the forthcoming collection-year and both the 512 and 562 Premium models were included in the October 2013 issue of the magazine. Whatever the situation with Hymer literature date-wise, it would seem that 2014-collection Exsis-i 512 and 562 Premiums were marketed and, if the usual pattern had been followed, Hymer might still have been building them in 2104.

• 2 weeks later...
The 2014 model has Truma Combi 6 rather than Truma Trumatic 6002 and a Euro 5 engine as far as I can tell. I assume 2014 model year vans are produced from late 2013 onwards. One of the ones I have looked at has a Hymer build date of 21/11/2013. They do look very good for the money.

future1 - 2014-12-14 10:37 AM

The 2014 model has Truma Combi 6 rather than Truma Trumatic 6002 and a Euro 5 engine as far as I can tell. I assume 2014 model year vans are produced from late 2013 onwards. One of the ones I have looked at has a Hymer build date of 21/11/2013. They do look very good for the money.

Production of Truma “Trumatic” C-series appliances ceased in 2007, so any motorhome built from, say, 2008-onwards should have a “Combi” heater.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived