Spare wheel

hymer1942

Evening all, Just stopped the van for a Hymer SL 660. Beautiful van but no spare wheel, big garage but no obvious place for one. Have not experienced the gizmo that has replaced the spare wheel and not sure how it works but think Iwould prepare a spare. Barrie

Only a mug carries no spare wheel.If you have a garage, stand it upright and rig up a carrier.

The 'Fix n go' cans of goo, only work for punctures that you notice BEFORE you actually drive on on a very soft or flat tyre, because the very act of driving on it, probably fully loaded will wreck the tyre.

For that, the 'can of goo' is just 'Excess weight' , also a lot of recovery companies EXPECT you to have a spare. Check the small print. Some will say 'I've never needed one' good for them, they have been 'lucky' nothing else. Ray

Rayjsj - 2014-08-04 8:15 PM

Only a mug carries no spare wheel.If you have a garage, stand it upright and rig up a carrier...

From on-line photos this may not be so simple, as the shape of the SL 660’s garage doesn’t seem to lend itself well to carrying a spare-wheel vertically without badly compromising the garage's storage capability.

It might be practicable, though, to carry the spare horizontally close to the ‘roof’ of the garage, though doing this would obviously also have drawbacks if, say, it were wished to carry tall things like bikes.

Bought one and put it in the garage and eventually in a roof box until I got hold of a fiat spare wheel carrier. Had to adjust the winder to avoid the rear extension, but now it's in it's proper place. Whether I would wind it out in an emergency is another matter, on the UK offside, better on the continent but still a pain.

(Still have one spare wheel and tyre from when I put the alloys on, and one from the earlier model, pre 2006 I bought by mistake)

Guest Had Enough
hymer1942 - 2014-08-04 7:21 PM

Evening all, Just stopped the van for a Hymer SL 660. Beautiful van but no spare wheel, big garage but no obvious place for one. Have not experienced the gizmo that has replaced the spare wheel and not sure how it works but think Iwould prepare a spare. Barrie

I had no spare wheel when I bought my Hobby four years ago. I bought a spare and simply lay it flat on the floor of the garage. No need for special mountings and my boxes and other accoutrements fit around or on it. I bought an elasticated cover, the kind of thing that 4x4 drivers use to protect an exposed spare and lay the wheel cover-side down. This gives us storage for odds and ends in the rear wheel well.

All this assumes of course that your garage is wide enough for a wheel and that you're not carrying a couple of bikes in the garage.

You can also fix a spare wheel to the outside of the rear wall of your MH, especially if it wouldn't conflict with a bike or motorcycle rack. This picture of a Hymer S740, in which the spare would normally be inside the garage, illustrates the idea.

Spare.jpg.b76ddf00ffa06ab3c1fb0c046e13639f.jpg

Hymer has used the “SL” designator for motorhomes built on Fiat or Mercedes-Benz chassis, but (as far as I’m aware) the B-660 model has always been Mercedes-based.

The B-660 model-number has been used by Hymer over an extended period and with differring Mercedes chassis variations. The following link is to a 2006 MMM report on a B-660 on a 4600kg chassis

http://tinyurl.com/q2fxh86

and it will be seen from the photo on Page 155 that a spare-wheel is housed tidily on a ‘shelf' at the front of the rear garage. It needs to be appreciated, however, that this vehicle had smallish-diameter 195/70 R15C tyres.

This is an advert for a 2010 B-660

http://tinyurl.com/pwynthb

The design of the garage (3rd ’thumbnail' photo) is similar to that of the 2006 vehicle, but there’s no sign of a spare-wheel and there’s a heating outlet on the front shelf that would appear to inhibit a wheel from being mounted there. There’s also the matter of the 2010 vehicle having significantly larger-diameter tyres than the 2006’s, which might make it impossible for a wheel to be mounted vertically in the space available between the shelf and the garage’s ceiling. Obviously, if there is the vertical space to mount a spare-wheel on this shelf (I’m assuming the garage on hymer1942’s Hymer is as shown in the 2010-model advert) that’s the place to put it, and moving the heater-outlet shouldn’t be too difficult.

The wheel could be carried vertically above the shelf on the garage’s rear wall (though that’s less than ideal given the weight of the wheel) or vertically above the lower-level ‘shelf’ at the garage’s front where a strong mounting structure would need to be installed (and storage would be compromised). Realistically, low-level horizontal mounting is a non-starter, but a wheel could be carried horizontally near the garage’s ceiling. Again a strong mounting-structure would need to be made and (as I said earlier) the carrying-height of the garage would be reduced.

Yes Derek is quite right, Hymer make a bracket for the middle front of the garage , just waiting to find out the price. So 400, for the alloy wheel, 125 for the tyre, plus the bracket, not cheap but I may well say it was a good decision in the future. Barrie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived