Another Motorhome Robbery

Gregsky

Hello

This is my first post and im very new to motorhomes .

Just want to share my expierience with You Guys. We went on our first trip in motorhome in July 19th this year. Our destination Was South West France. Stopped on a1 about 100 miles towards North from Paris.

Our only mistake was we chose one of toll motorways aires to sleep. I got up 2.30 in the morning couse i felt small movment of the motorhome ( maybe created by passing lorries- i thought) Next thing i noticed was ladder leading to our bed been moved by someone in order to get to the living space (me wife and our 2 years doughter slept over the cab) at that moment i realized we been in the middle of robbery i jumped down of the bed got out quickly through the side door ... and saw no one there... We lost my wallet with driving licence bank cards , 600 euros in cash , and the bag with all motorhome documents including insurance etc. If i did not awake during this ,probably we would end up with nothing... There were Lorries at that car park , and cars coming in and out all that time. after i checked we are all fine , started engine and run away from this place couse was not sure if thats end of story. That was our first night in motorhome , rest of the nights didnt sleep well as i thought it might happen again ( we only slept on campings afterwards) . We were in 2008 carioca 656 - they got in without damaging locks ( perhaps they have kind of universal key) . They did it very quiet , if i didnt wake up in the middle of that robbery then next morning probably i would say they used gas!!! But im sure the gas is a myth , they very quick and quiet without gas , you are tired and kind of familiar with parking traffic noises.

Next time if we go i will get chain or belt just to secure cab doors , some alarm and definitely will stay at campings. That was the most expensive stopover.

p.s. Any way have to say We had the best holidays ever!!!

Guest pelmetman
Gregsky - 2014-08-05 10:47 PM

We were in 2008 carioca 656 - they got in without damaging locks ( perhaps they have kind of universal key) . They did it very quiet , if i didnt wake up in the middle of that robbery then next morning probably i would say they used gas!!! But im sure the gas is a myth , they very quick and quiet without gas , you are tired and kind of familiar with parking traffic noises.

Phew 8-)................It's just as well you qualified your statement ;-)...................Or else the forum Gas skeptics would be upon you in a flash :D.............

Welcome to the forum, glad you had a nice time regardless of the incident B-) ...............

Blimey this is scary.

We just got back from France, I was a little worried but thankfully we were ok.

I took the following steps just incase.

Extra handle locked on outside of habitation door.

Climbed in through cab doors double locked with remote key.

We avoided auto route Aires and came off main roads to stay in towns.

All valuables locked in safe over night.

Next year I think I will purchase one of these as well to gain some more piece of mind.

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Security-Products-for-caravans-and-motorhomes

There are some nasty people out there.

Wouldn't it be easier to just turn off the movement sensor and set - or get if you don't have one - the perimeter alarm that sounds off if a door is opened?

Won't stop the bar stewards climbing in through the window or skylight though!

Or maybe a dog(s) would alert you to any miscreant?

Guest pelmetman

I reckon the most alarming part is...............pardon the pun :D................how they got in without damaging the locks?? 8-)....................

Is there such a thing as a skeleton key? :-S..............

Wasn't Me - 2014-08-07 2:09 PM

My roof vents are only 400mm so they would have to find a child to climb in.

That has been done before - many times - in fact a small lightweight child is easier to lift onto a roof with less disturbance than an adult!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2014-08-07 2:15 PM

Wasn't Me - 2014-08-07 2:09 PM

My roof vents are only 400mm so they would have to find a child to climb in.

That has been done before - many times - in fact a small lightweight child is easier to lift onto a roof with less disturbance than an adult!

The sprog will need to be smaller than 400mm to get through ours, as there's a bar down the middle with the windup mechanism, plus the fly screen after that :-S................

Its probably easier just to gas us and break in through the door :D..............

• 4 months later...

We lock the van cab doors with the Cobra alarm and manually lock the hab door, internal sensor turned off as you suggested.

We have a dog....... In a green box, runs on 6 AA batteries and gives a creditable impression of an Alsatian when it senses movement in the vicinity of the van. Called a barking dog alarm, funnily enough and costs about 50 quid. Can run from a transformer if you take it indoors or are on hookup. Can adjust volume and sensitivity.

If the tales of gassing are true, I would think either they would think that their gas doesn't affect canines or that they were given some compressed air and would give up for the night.

Tells me when the wife gets up for a pee too.

I also keep a fire extinguisher in the bedroom area, (luckily en suite style with a dividing door which separates the bedroom from the area with vents to the outside) to give any intruder a quick spray or beat him about the head with.

You've got to hand it to these folk that rob motorhomes, able to get in with skeleton keys, built in night vision, not make a single sound, the ability to locate the vans carrying large amounts of cash, ignoring any others around, then get in and find it, along with all the other important stuff, then away into the night disappearing like a puff of smoke. :-S

Still I'm glad despite being robbed of everything they had the best holiday ever. 8-) quite how they managed that without any cash, bank cards, any form of identity, would be interesting to know, as would be how exactly did he know they were very quick.

Brian Kirby - 2014-12-08 1:10 PM

Strange, that. The same thoughts ocurred to me as well. I hesitate to rush to judgement, so I wonder if the OP could clarify?

The OP's posting details are:

Date registered 2014-08-05 10:14 PM

Last logon 2014-08-07 9:31 PM

I personally am not holding my breath for any clarification.

Guest pelmetman
spospe - 2014-12-08 3:06 PM

Strange, that. The same thoughts ocurred to me as well. I hesitate to rush to judgement, so I wonder if the OP could clarify?

It's probably someone just trying to spread the rumour that gassing is a myth ;-) ..............

pelmetman - 2014-12-08 3:11 PM

It's probably someone just trying to spread the rumour that gassing is a myth ;-) ..............

Or a Milenco or Fiamma lock salesmen on commision trying to boost flagging sales

Hee, hee: well spotted! I usually look back to the OP, but didn't look at the date on this one. No, please don't hold your breath, I suspect it would prove terminal! :-D

• 3 weeks later...
Blimey this ones been doing the rounds for some time now.I hope that we do not get a break in whilst inside but like many of you the slightest sound wakes me up much to the annoyance of my wife me saying there a badger/fox deer /sheep and so on noseing around the unit.

Archived