Trailers

Pete-B

Hi,

I'm looking to get a small trailer to tow behind our motorhome, even something like a 4 x 3 foot one would allow me to carry some of the heavy stuff we usually have in the van which in turn would increase the payload. I would also intend to fit a solid roof to the trailer to enable me to carry our two bikes. We do have two purpose made cycle carriers which I could bolt onto this.

I just wondered if anyone else has done this and were there any pitfalls and also could anyone

recommend a decent small trailer.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Many years ago I towed a similar sized trailer behind the dutton, made up brackets to take a roof rack to which I mounted two bikes, this was a small car and the proportion of lengths meant it was easy to reverse, a small trailer behind a van is not as easy to reverse.

I've mainly towed two types of trailers with vans, a 20ft 3t 4 wheel trailer which is very easy to reverse, and a short plant trailer which is much more tricky and when unloaded I would proboly unhitch and push. The size of trailer you are considering would proboly be easier to push, but you might want to think about one with a jockey wheel or adding one to make life easier.

Guest pelmetman

We have a box trailer for our winter trips to Spain, its a unbraked 750kg although I had mine plaited at 730kg so my outfit exactly matches my GTW B-)................

Being a box trailer its more secure than a standard open type, and reversing is a bit of an art as I have a long overhang on the camper, although the reversing camera helps ;-)........

On site I often pitch the drive away awning apart from the van, with the trailer backed into the rear door aperture, which adds a useful dimension to the awning :D

1-P1000493.JPG.75f8403186c5346b3377bf619033544b.JPG

I agree with everything posted so far, especially the advice about reversability. It will be very helpful to be able to reverse with thr trailer if you can and th viability of that depends on the length of the trailer from the hitch to the axle - the longer the better. Unhitching a loaded trailer in order to reverse, even with a jockey wheel, can be a real pain. Get a bigger trailer to be able to reverse it if you can.

A box van trailer will be very useful and these are made by several trailer manufacturers. Buying a standard trailer will mean you have resaleability and resale value when you want to get rid, even if you spend more to buy.

Your starting point should be your MH's GTW (gros train weight) from its plate. Subtract the GVW or MAM (gross vehicle weight or maximum allowable mass) from this to get the all up weight of trailer you can tow. Behind a MH even a big trailer tucks in and tows well, so little harm in going a bit bigger than the minimum, within the GTW. You can carry all sorts of stuff in a nice big box van trailer.

Ifor Williams trailers are extremely well made and they have the advantage of being readily resellable because they are the industry standard in terms of build quality, Their BV64e (unbraked) or even a BV84 (which is braked) might be ideal.

Archived