More than 12 weeks in Spain with a dog?.......

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Just got back from the vets, and discovered that if you spend more than 12 weeks in Spain, then your pet needs a rabies jab every year..................

I assume this applies to other pets as well, although I didn't ask? :-| .....................

I didn't know that, but on speaking to dog owners when over the water ie; in Germany and France they get theirs done every year :-S I think your best safe than sorry.

With ours I'm at the Vet every year anyway as mine needing it every two years work out if its not one due its the other one!! Tilly is due this month I should really get Teddy done and then next time they would fall the same time, I might just ask about it.

As the pet passport registers dates of pre re entry vet checks and not dates of leaving the UK it might be hard for anyone to prove how long you have been away when returning - unless the ferry terminal also has details of your outward booking when you check in?

pelmetman - 2014-08-07 10:43 AM

Just got back from the vets, and discovered that if you spend more than 12 weeks in Spain, then your pet needs a rabies jab every year..................

I assume this applies to other pets as well, although I didn't ask? :-| .....................

I would check that with DEFRA, or whatever its called this week. Our hound is jabbed every two years.

Guest pelmetman
starvin marvin - 2014-08-07 12:54 PM

I would check that with DEFRA, or whatever its called this week. Our hound is jabbed every two years.

As I understand it, the reason is if your in Spain for more then 12 weeks your dog is deemed as resident 8-).................But as Rich pointed out how do they know? :-S...................But if like us you stay on one campsite for the winter, and your details are logged with the local plod, then I suspect they'd have proof :-| ........

Whether they would start tracking down overstaying pooches is unlikely, but if your dog is in a punch up with a local hound?................better to be safe than sorry :D..........

Why anyone would want to spend 12 hours in Spain with a dog, never mind 12 weeks, is beyond me.

Especially in a MH.

Can of worms now open, feel free to dive in, I won't be back on this thread.

??????

Except to say my emoticons don't seem to be working?

Guest pelmetman
candapack - 2014-08-07 3:19 PM

Why anyone would want to spend 12 hours in Spain with a dog, never mind 12 weeks, is beyond me.

Especially in a MH.

Can of worms now open, feel free to dive in, I won't be back on this thread.

??????

Except to say my emoticons don't seem to be working?

Well considering we had more rain in two weeks this July in Oban, than we did in January/February and March in Spain ;-)................I think you'll find the answer is pretty obvious with or without a dog (lol) (lol).......

(lol) (lol) (lol) Who on earth told you that?

The date in the passport is all that is important.....

Can only assume its a (daft) windup ;-)

Guest pelmetman
neilmac - 2014-08-07 6:15 PM

(lol) (lol) (lol) Who on earth told you that?

The date in the passport is all that is important.....

Can only assume its a (daft) windup ;-)

Agreed its all that is needed at the tunnel and ferry.............but...........in Spain?.

Not sure if our vet is perfect :-S................but having inherited a dog in Spain with a Spanish passport ;-)...........and as far as I'm aware in Spain they do require a annual 12 month vaccination :-|..............

Just flagging it up ;-)..............Should you wish to risk the unknown consequences with your pooch is your decision........... sometimes I'm prepared to put my hand in my pocket for what I value :-|............

But as the title of this thread implies............It's only relevant to those who camp in Spain for more than 12 weeks at a time ;-)..................

In my opinion its misinformation :-)

We too have taken on a Spanish stray and he has a Spanish passport. Spain has changed in the last couple of years and now rabies jabs last 2 years instead of what used to be 1.

Any inquiry made about a dog will only be answered by reference to its passport so thats the only date that needs to be worried about.

Its the 12 week residency thing that's laughable :-)

Guest pelmetman
neilmac - 2014-08-07 6:58 PM

In my opinion its misinformation :-)

We too have taken on a Spanish stray and he has a Spanish passport. Spain has changed in the last couple of years and now rabies jabs last 2 years instead of what used to be 1.

Any inquiry made about a dog will only be answered by reference to its passport so thats the only date that needs to be worried about.

As I said I wasn't sure if my vet was perfect ;-)..................one can always rely on a forum expert :D.............I was only relaying the words of in theory an "expert" :-S..................We have to go back to the old mans vet in Spain anyway to change our inheritances micro chip address.................So I'll be able to get the opinion of a local expert ;-)...........

These experts are a minefield (lol) (lol)

In Portugal its every year for dogs and have had no trouble taking him to Morocco each year but a friend had an English passport for his dog [every two years ] and he had to send blood sample from dog to Germany to check dog was ok . Cost him about £200

A rabies "jab" is a vaccine, so it's purpose is t provoke and immune response from the dog's own defence system to produce antibodies.

It used to believed that the level of immunity which was conveyed by vaccination releated directly to the level of antiboies circulating in the blood but it is now known not to be as simple as that because immunisation also conveys, certainly for some diseases, an "immune memory" effect, so that even if the antibody level falls, the dog will still be able to rally its defences quickly (and produce the necessary antibodies quickly if an infection results) even after the normal circulating levels have dropped.

The policy for whether tests for an adequate level of circulating antibodies after immunisation are necessary (as they used to be for rabies in the EU) and how often booster jabs are needed to maintain effective immunity will vary between different authorities because there is a judgement to be taken. Hence some scope for conflicting advice.

Is Spain a high risk area for rabies compared with the rest of the EU? I don't know but your vet might..

Extra boosters might convey better chances of resisting the disease if it strikes, but not always. It varies for different diseases and sometimes for different vaccines.

If you want to do what is necessary for legal purposes, just do what the Pet Passport Scheme requires, which is boosters for rabies every three years. If you want to do better and give your dog more frequent boosters for what you think might be a higher risk area for rabies infection, ask your vet for advice. Taking into account where you are going, it might be worthwhile testing for antibody levels and/or increasing the frequency of jabs - but maybe not.

Generally speaking extra boosters won't do any harm but sometimes you can have too many. There is a limit to how many tetanus jabs it makes sense for human to have for example.

In theory the duration of your stay in a higher risk area would make no difference; you either go for the more reliable level of imunisation with more frequent jabs or you don't.

StuartO - 2014-08-08 8:24 AM

Is Spain a high risk area for rabies compared with the rest of the EU? I don't know but your vet might..

A rabid dog bit 5 people in Toledo last year. It is thought that the owner falsified the vaccination record when he brought it from Morocco. The authorities took it very seriously.

Guest pelmetman
neilmac - 2014-08-07 6:58 PM

I can't understand this as Piggy had a Spanish passport having been rehomed by my father in law who lived in Spain in April 2013, he had her rabies jab done and it was definitely for 1 year.

As to the 12 week residency ruling - this was the first time we had heard about this but I was at the Vets with Dave and can assure you that this is what she told us.

SUE

As to the 12 week residency ruling - this was the first time we had heard about this but I was at the Vets with Dave and can assure you that this is what she told us.

SUE

So Sue,

Dave had his jab too, did he? Does he bite , when in a rage?

PJay

Guest pelmetman
PJay - 2014-08-08 10:29 AM

Dave had his jab too, did he? Does he bite , when in a rage?

PJay

Its when he starts frothing at the mouth I PJay that I make a run for it (lol)

SUE

pelmetman - 2014-08-08 10:20 AM

I can't understand this as Piggy had a Spanish passport having been rehomed by my father in law who lived in Spain in April 2013, he had her rabies jab done and it was definitely for 1 year.

SUE

I wouldn't be surprised if there are regional variations in Spain. Our dog, Digger, had his last rabies jab in Jan 2013 and it was the first time that it will last 2 years, this is in the Valencia region - next jab Jan 2015. The vaccine used was exactly the same as previous which was only for 1 year.

Guest pelmetman

I wouldn't be surprised if there are regional variations in Spain. Our dog, Digger, had his last rabies jab in Jan 2013 and it was the first time that it will last 2 years, this is in the Valencia region - next jab Jan 2015. The vaccine used was exactly the same as previous which was only for 1 year.

You could be right there Neil, father-in-law lived in Murcia.

SUE

bigal55 - 2014-08-08 9:30 AM

Here is somemore info, i,ve just checked our mutts passport & it,s been signed up for 3yrs,off to the vet to check.

http://www.edgewoodvets.co.uk/PetTravelScheme20121548.html

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/pet-passport

This one states 3yrs

http://www.examiner.com/article/rabies-vaccines-why-when-and-how-often-does-your-dog-need-to-be-vaccinated

Checked with the vet 3yrs is correct, it depends on the vacine manufacturers recommendations.

Archived