240v Power Problem

SteveDebs

Hi all, we are newbies to full time motorhoming and we have come across a problem and wondered if anyone could help us. We have recently purchased a Mercedes Rimor Superbrig 728 and everything seems to be fine apart from the control unit not identifying that we have 240v hooked up to the van. We know that the site supply is working as we have a 240v air conditioning unit and a 240v socket that both work, but the control panel is not showing the spark icon in the control panel. The charger unit is a Arsilicii AL310X.

We are also stumped that we cannot find the fuse box/rcd breakers, looked everywhere to no avail.

If anyone out there could help us in this matter we would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

Steve & Debs

colin - 2014-08-08 10:00 PM

Not that familiar with your van, but would hope the consumer unit is fairly close to where the electricity comes in the van, so probably best to concentrate your search in that area.

Hi Colin and thank you for your reply, I have looked all around the area you suggested and the only rcd is directly on the rear of the 240v inlet socket. We are going to take the plunge and get a new charger and fingers crossed it solves the problem. Thanks again.

:-S

If the "spark" sybol is missing from the panel, it sounds much more like a failure of supply rather than a duff charger, so before you spend money on one of those get someone to test the supply for you. It should be easy enough to check for it using a votmeter, working your way inwards from the connection point, but of you are unhappy doing this get an autoelectrician to have a look for you. It might simply be a cable connection which has come loose. It coud even be a fault in the power cable you are using.or its connectors.

StuartO - 2014-08-09 8:46 AM

If the "spark" sybol is missing from the panel, it sounds much more like a failure of supply rather than a duff charger, so before you spend money on one of those get someone to test the supply for you. It should be easy enough to check for it using a votmeter, working your way inwards from the connection point, but of you are unhappy doing this get an autoelectrician to have a look for you. It might simply be a cable connection which has come loose. It coud even be a fault in the power cable you are using.or its connectors.

Totally agree as charger may not be required. From what you have posted you appear to have limited technical knowledge but have diagnosed a fault that could cost a lot of money???? Get an auto electrian to examine or a motorhome/caravan dealer first

But, if I understand the OPs correctly, there is 230V in the van, as they mention having a live socket plus mains a/c.

They don't say the habitation battery is flat, and/or the lights don't work (indicating the charger isn't working), and they don't say the fridge isn't working on mains.

Unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick, that suggests to me that their 230V system is working as it should, and all that is missing is the symbol on their control panel that confirms mains is connected.

So, is this any more than a control panel defect? Possibly just the failure of whatever illuminates the symbol, that the feed to is disconnected? Apologies is I've missed something! :-)

Brian Kirby - 2014-08-09 3:52 PM

Unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick, that suggests to me that their 230V system is working as it should, and all that is missing is the symbol on their control panel that confirms mains is connected.

So, is this any more than a control panel defect? Possibly just the failure of whatever illuminates the symbol, that the feed to is disconnected? Apologies is I've missed something! :-)

Me to Brian, if this assumption is correct just forget about it. You know stuff is working so is a light showing this really so important.

Brian Kirby - 2014-08-09 3:52 PM

....from the documentation available here:

http://www.arsilicii.com/eng/tuttidocumenti.asp?doc=autocaravan

..... it would appear that many of the panels supplied to Rimor had a function whereby every one of the indicator lights would light briefly (half a second) as a test function when the panel is initially turned on.

If this function is available on the particular panel in question, then it should be relatively simple to determine whether it is an indicator fault (all lights except the hookup one light briefly) or something else (all lights including the hookup one light).

Archived