Millers field Ambleside

Cliffy

Took the attached photo at Millers field, Ambleside last weekend.

A very sorry state of affairs. I did notice that they have left access to a fresh water tap. They do not say it is for Motorhome use but was accessible from the car park access road. 

I also noticed there is a tap in the Keswick Rugby Club Car Park. It does say motorhomes are forbidden to park but does not say anything about taking on water.

I don't condone free-loading but I know there are some who look for free fill up points. ;-)

2028007369_MillersfieldAmbleside.jpg.487e87ecae4800fa461aa32151cf3772.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aren't you condoning freeloading (and encouraging it) simply by publishing the whereabouts of this unguarded tap? OK for motorhomers to empty their toilette cassettes into the hedges or by lifting manholes while they are at it?

Rugby club often allow motorhome clubs to hold rallies there during their summer off season, which those motorhomers presumably pay for, but that doesn't mean all comers are invited to steal water (which the Rugby Club will presumably have to pay for, probably on a meter) does it?

Small rugby clubs are service organisations and they aren't rich - and even if they were it would still be stealing, wouldn't it?

I don't know anything about Millers Field, so some background information would be helpful.

Guest Peter James
StuartO - 2014-08-09 8:36 AM

Aren't you condoning freeloading (and encouraging it) simply by publishing the whereabouts of this unguarded tap? OK for motorhomers to empty their toilette cassettes into the hedges or by lifting manholes while they are at it?

Rugby club often allow motorhome clubs to hold rallies there during their summer off season, which those motorhomers presumably pay for, but that doesn't mean all comers are invited to steal water (which the Rugby Club will presumably have to pay for, probably on a meter) does it?

Small rugby clubs are service organisations and they aren't rich - and even if they were it would still be stealing, wouldn't it?

I don't know anything about Millers Field, so some background information would be helpful.

But you don't suggest any reasonable alternative.

Lets be honest about it. You have got to have water, and if you have to, you take it from where you can. Personally I carry 180 litres which lasts me at least a fortnight, so I am never that desperate. But that is not an option for people with less payload or more water usage.

Peter James - 2014-08-09 8:49 AM

Aren't you condoning freeloading (and encouraging it) simply by publishing the whereabouts of this unguarded tap?

But you don't suggest any reasonable alternative.

Why should Stuart need to be suggesting alternatives..?

Besides, what's wrong with using good old fashioned common courtesy and "asking" if it's okay to use these taps?..Rather than just "taking"?

Guest Peter James
pepe63 - 2014-08-09 9:20 AM

Why should Stuart need to be suggesting alternatives..?

Well I thought it was obvious but I will try and explain it more simply as I can see you are a bit thick ;-)

You have to get water from somewhere

pepe63 - 2014-08-09 9:20 AM

Besides, what's wrong with using good old fashioned common courtesy and "asking" if it's okay to use these taps?..Rather than just "taking"?

he said there was nobody there to ask *-)

Peter James - 2014-08-09 10:22 AM

Well I thought it was obvious but I will try and explain it more simply as I can see you are a bit thick ;-)

I'm not thick., thanks for your concern.. :-S .

.but again, why should Stuart O be needing to give "alternatives" to the supposedly free-spirited, off-grid types..?

If they can't fathom out where to get what they need without taking stuff without asking, then maybe they should stick with a Travelodge?...

You have to get food from somewhere as well...or do you also advocate just "taking" that when there's no one around to ask?....after all "you need to get if from somewhere"...

So presumably, no matter where it is or who's property it is on,we have to assume any unattended standpipe(..or food stall/outlet?), is fair game then..? *-)

Guest Peter James
pepe63 - 2014-08-09 1:10 PM

Peter James - 2014-08-09 10:22 AM

I'm not thick., thanks for your concern.. :-S .

.but again, why should Stuart O be needing to give "alternatives" to the supposedly free-spirited, off-grid types..?

If they can't fathom out where to get what they need without taking stuff without asking, then maybe they should stick with a Travelodge?...

You have to get food from somewhere as well...or do you also advocate just "taking" that when there's no one around to ask?....after all "you need to get if from somewhere"...

So presumably, no matter where it is or who's property it is on,we have to assume any unattended standpipe(..or food stall/outlet?), is fair game then..? *-)

Well there is an alternative when you want food - you buy it from a supermarket.

I have never been in the situation where I didn't have the money to pay for food, but if I was without money, or there was none for sale - like there was no water for sale, and I had got none, I guess I might steal it - lets be honest about it - who wouldn't really?

You can buy water from a supermarket as well if you have to, rather than stealing it. They have big bottles of the stuff.

Peter James has a track record of provocative posts and always wanting the last arrogant word so I try to resist responding to him. He's best ignored.

I wish I had not mentioned the water taps now. I did not think it would cause a cat fight. I was only trying to keep forum users informed.

The rugby club car park uses an honesty box to collect the parking fees so the honest people could give a contribution, the type who avoid paying at Aires by leaving at dawn would just help themselves and drive off. >:-)

:-)

NO ONE is saying it's alright to dump toilet casettes into hedgerows for goodness sake !! Don't exagerrate. He is just pointing out a place where it is OK to take on water, thats all !

I always take a note of fresh water taps, on my Travels and know of many, (and NO i'm not going to tell where they are, Find your own) The idea of buying Bottled water from a supermarket , for washing/showering as well as drinking is silly in the extreme, I have a 'Nature-pure' water filter, so am able to safely drink water from the tank, which is sterilised regularly as well.

Being able to stay away from Civilisation for a few nights, is one of the beauties of Motorhoming, we are 'Self-contained' and can do it easily WITHOUT polluting the very beauty that we come to see.

There aren't sites in many of the places we like to visit, or CL's for that matter, just give us water and we can survive for a few days without anything else, just visiting a site for dumping waste water and emptying cassette. If you've never tried it, don't knock it, AND it isn't done to save money, believe it or not !

PS, Anyone passing my House is quite welcome to fill up their fresh water tanks, I am not on a Meter, If you want to take me up on my offer, send me a PM. We get more than enough Rainfall Thankyou. Ray

StuartO - 2014-08-10 11:54 AM

You can buy water from a supermarket as well if you have to, rather than stealing it. They have big bottles of the stuff.

Peter James has a track record of provocative posts and always wanting the last arrogant word so I try to resist responding to him. He's best ignored.

And StuartO has a track record of being a 'Holier than thou' hypocrite. don't respond to him either. *-)

oops I just did !

I'm not against honest wild camping at all, not for a minute.

But motorhomers who help themselves to things (and will be seen doing it by the public to be doing so) give the rest of us a bad name and add to the difficulties of getting Aires in UK.

If you are going to do wild camping in UK I think it is important to be seen to be doing it properly and not seem to be sneaking around doing what you shouldn't, including helping yourself to water from other people's taps.

And where do you empty your cassettes if you you like staying away from sites? Down street drains? Or do you go around lifting people's manholes as well?

I carry a spare toilette casette to extend my range off site and extra water - and if push comes to shove I would buy a gallon bottle of water from a supermarket.

And if someone who thinks it's OK to help himself to someone else's water calls me a holier than thou because i don't, I can live with that. It does alter the fact that if he steals then he's a thief.

Guest Peter James
StuartO - 2014-08-10 7:30 PM

But motorhomers who help themselves to things (and will be seen doing it by the public to be doing so) give the rest of us a bad name and add to the difficulties of getting Aires in UK.

Then again, motorhomes parked where they shouldn't because there is nowhere else demonstrates the need for proper aires - in a way councils might take notice of...

StuartO - 2014-08-10 7:30 PM

I'm not against honest wild camping at all, not for a minute.

If you are going to do wild camping in UK I think it is important to be seen to be doing it properly and not seem to be sneaking around doing what you shouldn't, including helping yourself to water from other people's taps.

And where do you empty your cassettes if you you like staying away from sites? Down street drains? Or do you go around lifting people's manholes as well?

I carry a spare toilette casette to extend my range off site and extra water - and if push comes to shove I would buy a gallon bottle of water from a supermarket.

And if someone who thinks it's OK to help himself to someone else's water calls me a holier than thou because i don't, I can live with that. It does alter the fact that if he steals then he's a thief.

If you had read my post in it's entirety you would have read that I do call into sites as well, to empty my cassette, and yes, to top up with water as well, I have never dumped waste anywhere but in the correct places. But I consider water to be like air, I have to Breathe it, and I have to drink, I pay water rates for my water at home (and am prepared to share it, as I have said) and am prepared to use a Tap if one is available on my travels. I would not 'sneak around'. and if anyone is nearby I will ask them if it it OK to 'top up' , I have never been refused yet. To me the Rain falls out of the Sky and is a natural resource,

And in Wales we get plenty of it. It doesn't BELONG to anyone, so taking a little is not stealing.

Think you have very 'Cockeyed' values. Ray

If someone is around you will ask, which suggests that you accept that someone owns the tap and the water. And a tap isn't a naturally occuring source of water, like a cloud in the sky, so you'd be right to assue that someone must own it..

How come that person stops owning it if he or she is not around to be asked? That wouldn't make sense at all.

If you can use the tap and take the water without permission does the same apply to his other unguarded property? Is it OK to enter his home and use his chair if he's not around, assuming his poermission? Or use his bed if he has gone away for the night?

If you take unprocessed water from a roadside stream maybe you can argue that it's from a cloud and no one owns it. But if you take processed or stored water from a tap without prior permission, then you are stealing. It doesn't make any difference if you do it openly or brazenly rather than sneakily, that merely makes you a brazen thief.

Guest Peter James
StuartO - 2014-08-11 8:13 AM

If someone is around you will ask, which suggests that you accept that someone owns the tap and the water. And a tap isn't a naturally occuring source of water, like a cloud in the sky, so you'd be right to assue that someone must own it..

How come that person stops owning it if he or she is not around to be asked? That wouldn't make sense at all.

If you can use the tap and take the water without permission does the same apply to his other unguarded property? Is it OK to enter his home and use his chair if he's not around, assuming his poermission? Or use his bed if he has gone away for the night?

If you take unprocessed water from a roadside stream maybe you can argue that it's from a cloud and no one owns it. But if you take processed or stored water from a tap without prior permission, then you are stealing. It doesn't make any difference if you do it openly or brazenly rather than sneakily, that merely makes you a brazen thief.

What a simplistic black and white world you live in Stuart.

Let me guess. You have been brainwashed by the military?

Public water taps and drinking fountains were once common on our road sides as they are in France and Spain today. Every village had a public tap until the Conservative government of Maggie Thatcher decided to privatise the public water companies. This together with the over zealous Heath and Safety culture in this country has resulted in these taps being removed. Even where taps are available most have had the handle remove so needing a key to operate them.

This was brought to my mind again when I passed the water troughs in Edmindbyres in County Durham at the weekend and seeing the three troughs are still on the village green but the place where the tap was is now cemented over. Another fountain I remember is still located on the hill between Rowlands Gill and Burnopfield also in County Durham. As a child I can remember getting a drink from this when out for a walk with my uncle. This to has had its water disconnected.

Now it is all money making with bottled water replacing these public sources.

As a supporter and event organiser at Keswick RFC, where I am well aware of this ongoing issue, I brought this post to the attention of the club chairman. He asked me to post his response to this post.

" I'm shocked at your comment suggesting what is in effect theft, by proposing that people fill up with water at Keswick Rugby Club - we have a metered water supply and have to pay for the water you use - so you are proposing theft from a Club that is one of the mainstays of the Keswick Community and runs 13 boys youth teams and 3 girls rugby teams - I find your comments shameful".

StuartO - 2014-08-12 2:24 PM

Hopefully the Chairman of the Rugby Club is aware that there are motorhomers who take issue with freeloaders, as on this thread.

Yes Stuart, he read the whole thread and commented favourably on that element when we spoke. But, it's amazing what some will try and get way with. My event involves both Tuggers and MH's using the car park over a w/e and we have to be watchful for the brazen wild campers who just pull in and "join" our event, trying to hide unseen under the trees at the far end.

Regards

Archived