Millers field Ambleside

Cliffy

Guest Peter James
Well with 180 litres on board 'I'm alright Jack' and have never been so desperate for water as to take any from Keswick Rugby Club. I have sympathy for those with children, needing more water and having less carrying capacity. But if Keswick Rugby Club are too mean to let them have water I can only suggest they lock up their tap :-(

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Peter James
StuartO - 2014-08-13 8:51 AM

Lock the tap - to prevent thieves from stealing water you mean?

Depends on how you define thieves Stuart. Some say all property is theft. Because if you go back far enough you come to a point where the king or whoever had the biggest army just took it, and handed some out to his hangers on. Its all been inherited from them.

Which makes the army the most important thing to the richest people - because they have the most to lose.

In Britain we have the highest military spending in Europe to preserve that status quo.

The poor pay taxes to defend the assets of the rich.

Peter James - 2014-08-13 8:21 AM

... I have sympathy for those with children, needing more water and having less carrying capacity. But if Keswick Rugby Club are too mean to let them have water I can only suggest they lock up their tap :-(

..well for those MHers who are short sighted enough to run out whilst "holidaying off-grid", then I suppose there are always options like this...

http://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/promotion/buy-2-for-1-80/1000271550

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=267832188

..although personally, if I didn't have a list of established locations where I knew that I was allowed to take on water, then I'd probably be factoring in a cheap site/CL/CS every 3-4 days...;-)

I often wonder how some of the "..water is free..it falls from the sky...property is theft!" types, would react if they got home one day to find some unannounced stranger filling his MH tanks from their garden tap and crowbarring up the manhole on their drive'... (lol)

Before anyone posts how they have "offered" that .. the big difference is, they have "offered"..No on came and "took" without asking, did they.. ;-)

Always he last word, always the excuse for being not really all that wrong after all. If you have children you need more water so it's OK to steal, historically there was a lot of theft so it's still OK to steal..........

Ours is not a third world country, there are always sources of water you can get hold of without resorting to the sort of "flexible morality" you are advocating, which will almost always boils down to being an opportunist thief at someone else's expense - in this case a rugby club and the members' subscriptions pay for the water you and people like you take.

Freeloading is stealing and you bring shame on motorhomers as a whole by what you advocate. Stop making silly excuses. It's wrong and it' shameful. Don't do it, don't advocate it and don't make excuses for it either.

Guest Peter James
pepe63 - 2014-08-13 9:21 AM

I often wonder how some of the "..water is free..it falls from the sky...property is theft!" types, would react if they got home one day to find some unannounced stranger filling his MH tanks from their garden tap and crowbarring up the manhole on their drive'... (lol)

A semi public place like a Rugby Club car park is hardly the same thing as a private house.

But I suppose you have to introduce those sort of distortions to drive home your point?

Guest Peter James
StuartO - 2014-08-13 9:29 AM

in this case a rugby club and the members' subscriptions pay for the water you and people like you take.

I have already said I have never taken any water from there because I have never been that desperate.

Do you read posts before replying?

Guest Peter James
StuartO - 2014-08-13 9:29 AM

historically there was a lot of theft so it's still OK to steal..........

No I'm not saying that.

Just that things are not as black and white as they teach you in the army to persuade you to fight for them.

Peter James - 2014-08-13 9:32 AM

A semi public place like a Rugby Club car park is hardly the same thing as a private house.

But I suppose you have to introduce those sort of distortions to drive home your point?

Private property like a Rugby Club car park is hardly the same thing as a public open-space.

:-S

Self-sufficient my a*se!

Guest Peter James
Robinhood - 2014-08-13 10:00 AM

A semi public place like a Rugby Club car park

Private property like a Rugby Club car park is hardly the same thing as a public open-space.

:-S

A public open space is not the same thing as I said a semi public place

..and THAT from the bloke who shoehorns in comments about "military spending" and "the Royals" etc, at any given opportunity ...?!? *-)

Guest Peter James
I think there would be a lot less conflict in the world if everyone saw things as they are, in shades of grey, rather than in black and white

Peter James - 2014-08-13 10:22 AM

I think there would be a lot less conflict in the world if everyone saw things as they are, in shades of grey, rather than in black and white

....though there would probably be a lot less conflict in the world if everyone saw things that are black or white as they are, rather than in in shades of grey.

;-)

Guest Had Enough
pepe63 - 2014-08-13 10:20 AM

..and THAT from the bloke who shoehorns in comments about "military spending" and "the Royals" etc, at any given opportunity ...?!? *-)

You forgot rising house prices and nimbyism.

Peter James - 2014-08-13 10:19 AM

A public open space is not the same thing as I said a semi public place

I never said they were the same (and the concept of a semi-public place seems to me to be similar to being 'a little pregnant' )

Do you read posts before replying?

;-)

One of the things you have to accept about the internet and forrums is that because people think they are posting anonymously, or at least they think they are immune from consequences, they will sometimes behave in a shameless way and continue to do so. Maybe they don't want to admit they are wrong or they don't want to back down, or maybe they get some perverse pleasure out of continuing to provoke.

But at any event there is no changing them, unless you know their mother and threaten to tell her about their behaviour, at which point maybe they do suddenly change their tune.

I think the good guys have won the day on this thread and the bad guys, or rather the sole bad guy because the OP has shown good sense and withdrawn, have been shown that there is a majority view among motorhomers in favour of honesty and against stealing water from rugby clubs and other forms of freeloading, we can usefully give this thread a rest.

Guest pelmetman
Peter James - 2014-08-13 10:22 AM

You mean like 50 shades of grey?................

I've just had a vision of naked bloke in a gas mask 8-)...............

Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

StuartO - 2014-08-13 12:30 PM

One of the things you have to accept about the internet and forrums is that because people think they are posting anonymously, or at least they think they are immune from consequences, they will sometimes behave in a shameless way and continue to do so. Maybe they don't want to admit they are wrong or they don't want to back down, or maybe they get some perverse pleasure out of continuing to provoke.

OH1.jpg.45241e04760f1bf9776ef3cfb817b53d.jpg

Guest Peter James

One of the things you have to accept about the internet and forrums is that because people think they are posting anonymously, or at least they think they are immune from consequences, ........

One of the things you have to accept about those brainwashed by the military is they have been led to believe that whatever the problem, violence is the solution.....http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/one-in-10-prisoners-is-a-former-soldier-new-research-reveals-7944479.html

Peter James - 2014-08-13 1:18 PM

One of the things you have to accept about the internet and forrums is that because people think they are posting anonymously, or at least they think they are immune from consequences, ........

One of the things you have to accept about those brainwashed by the military is they have been led to believe that whatever the problem, violence is the solution....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/one-in-10-prisoners-is-a-former-soldier-new-research-reveals-7944479.html

What the chuffin' **** has that got to do with a thread about MHers who think it's okay to help themselves to standpipes on other folks' property....?! 8-)

But," I suppose...."...

Quote: Peter James- 13 August 2014 9:32 AM

"..I suppose you have to introduce those sort of distortions to drive home your point? (..although God knows, what yours is...?). *-)

You didn't get turned down by or drummed out of, the forces by any chance..? :-S

Edit:crossed posts HE.

I'm no royalist and I dare say I'm further "Left" than many on here but PJ's "views" do seem to have the naïve , overly simplistic(black and white?)ring of the "6th form common room" about them...

Peter James - 2014-08-13 1:18 PM

One of the things you have to accept about those brainwashed by the military is they have been led to believe that whatever the problem, violence is the solution.....http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/one-in-10-prisoners-is-a-former-soldier-new-research-reveals-7944479.html

....did I miss the bit where Stuart recommended that anyone running short of water should storm the nearest source and take it by force?

;-)

I hadn't heard of Millers Field when I first saw this thread but I have since been able to discover what and where it was.

It sounds like a really handy place from a motorhomer's viewpoint - but of course a thorn in the side of the National Parks Authority, since it was set up without seeking their approval, so they reacted. The reason for refusing permission for the Aire appears to have been that the conspicous MHs on it could be seen from one (but only one) of the fells above Ambleside - from where presumably they would be very distant objects.

There was a case a few years ago when a farmer wanted to do something on his land, not necessarily very conspicuous, but the planners blocked it - so he painted his barn in vivid colours instead, which did not require their permission and they couldn't prevent. His farm is in a conspicuous position right in the middle of the eyeline at Ruskin's View near Kikby Lonsdale, held to be "the fairest view in all England". The planners don't always win.

Good luck with the phone call; I can't see them paying much attention.

Guest Peter James
StuartO - 2014-08-13 7:20 PM

Good luck with the phone call; I can't see them paying much attention.

Well at least we agree on something ;-)

Maybe if we all took the law into our own hands and set up camp where we like as the Romaqnys, or the French, people would, then they would have to take notice of us.

The Suffragettes didn't get the vote for women by writing letters to the council *-)

Archived