Our first European trip

Chris0leary

We made it back yesterday from our first trip into Europe. It wasn't what we would have wanted for our first Motorhome trip there but our plans for France went wrong and then we got an invite to our nieces wedding in Salo, lake Garda :-D

We had a maximum of 11 days, spending 5 of them in Salo so plans for stops in Switzerland and toll free routes went out of the window in favour of covering as much ground as we could and pitching up where we could on route. Setting off from Cumbria added a day this side but we managed with 2 days travel across the channel.

We had a great time at our nieces wedding, a couple of days relaxing and had a flawless trip both ways so back home after our whistle stop tour well pleased with our achievement.

Planning a more relaxing and longer trip for next year now. ;-)

Congratulations, you have made the first big step - and it is'nt all that diffuclt after all either is it?

We're going to France from Lancashire in a few weeks and we usually book an ealry evening ferry and drive down to Dover the same day, relying on being able to sleep in Calais the first night, then move on. Might have to re-think that this time because of the all the publicity about lage gatherings of would-be immigrants in Calais again, but we'll sort something out.

How did you choose where to make your overnight stops en route?

There was an abundance of what seemed to be Africans all over the roads in Calais especially on the road in on our return, police cars were just driving by with a blue light on to disperse them with no effort at all. I would not like to stay anywhere near Calais.

Our sat nav has camp sites loaded so we just searched nearby once I was tired from driving, Brit stops this side. Both stops in France were around Metz/Nancy and got us off the motorway to see a bit of the countryside which was beautiful.

Hi we got back form our first euro trip last week

We stayed at Calais for the first time by the harbor.

It was jam packed with MHs and I was a bit apprehensive as we had not stayed before.

We thankfully didn't see any immigrants or trouble.

However I would probably not opt to do this again

Guest Peter James
Wasn't Me - 2014-08-11 3:22 PM

We thankfully didn't see any immigrants or trouble.

Immigrants won't give you trouble. A relative in the police force told me they are the easiest people to arrest. They might try to run but as soon as you touch them they come quietly. The last thing they want to do is commit an of fence because they don't want to be deported.

Archived