UKForex

Tracker

Sorry folks - it's not motorhome related - but we need to know - is there a better way to repatriate a lot of Euros from either a Spanish bank draft or Spanish bank a/c to a UK bank a/c?

From Spain, Sabadell in Spain want to charge .35% with no upper limit and Smile in the UK will take an incoming transfer at no charge but their exchange rate today is an ungenerous 1.2755 EUR to the GBP.

In the UK, Smile will process a Euro bank draft or cheque in the UK for .25% with a maximum of £60 but the same exchange rate applies.

That exchange rate looks like it is about 2% off the better rates being bandied about the internet - we just need to find out how best to get a good rate?

Many thanks.

There must be a better way?

When we paid for the van we used Easy FX, recommended by Eddie (judgemental).

Did find when we went to do a trade online the rate was a bit worse than what was given in their demo a quick phone call got a better rate about ½ cent below commercial rate saved a few grand compared to what my bank would offer.

Thanks guys - UKForex, World First and EasyFX are all within .0002 cents of each other which is a full 2 cents better than our bank offers today.

Now 2 cents is not a lot until you multiply it by a large number!

I appreciate your help guys - thanks.

It seems that those authorised by the FCA are slightly more secure than those regulated by the FCA?

Where's Clive when you need his point of view!

Guest pelmetman
Psssst......... let me know where it is Rich ;-)....................I'll pick it up for you :-D.................for nuffink....... I'll even send free postcards enroute B-).............

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2014-08-11 9:58 PM

Thanks for the generous offer Dave, but for someone who has long derided the desire of others to seek wealth you seem to have changed your outlook all of a sudden?

Did I say I'd spend it? 8-)...................I might of just incurred expenses :D..............I've learn't a lot from our political classes (lol) (lol) (lol)...........That's how it works ;-)..................why spend your wages when you can spend expenses.................ask our local Boston MP :-D.....................well that's his excuse *-)...........

Although I expect he knows he ain't got a hope in hell of getting back in >:-)..............

candapack - 2014-08-11 10:34 PM

Now that you've had some useful responses, I just wanted to say that while I know nothing about UKForex, I have had some good times with Castlemaine Forex. :D

Can't have been that good or you would not have remembered(lol)

I use Currency Fair to transfer money between UK/French/UK accounts. There exchange is near enough the rate of the day and only €3 per transaction. Check them out at www.currencyfair.com

There is also Transfer Wise but they seem to be slightly slower at transferring and charge a wee bit more than currency fair.

HTH

Guest Peter James
Tracker - 2014-08-11 6:55 PM

Thanks guys - UKForex, World First and EasyFX are all within .0002 cents of each other which is a full 2 cents better than our bank offers today.

Now 2 cents is not a lot until you multiply it by a large number!

I appreciate your help guys - thanks.

It seems that those authorised by the FCA are slightly more secure than those regulated by the FCA?

Where's Clive when you need his point of view!

The link I gave probably over emphasizes the risk of losing money, because they listed 'Crown Currency' as a best buy (based on the rate they were offering) before they went bust.

But Crown Currency was a different business. They took money up front, to pay for a fixed amount of foreign currency to be delivered by post up to a year or more in advance. They didn't hedge their risk, rates moved against them, and they turned into a Ponzi scheme offering uneconomic exchange rates to keep new money coming in .......

Guest Peter James
Tracker - 2014-08-13 8:31 PM

PS sitting out chatting etc this evening

in Southern Spain enjoying 26 degree warmth luvly jubly!

I'll probably be down there again in January, their daytime temperatures too hot for me now. But am glad you are enjoying it :-D

Tracker - 2014-08-11 2:07 PM

Sorry folks - it's not motorhome related - but we need to know - is there a better way to repatriate a lot of Euros from either a Spanish bank draft or Spanish bank a/c to a UK bank a/c?

From Spain, Sabadell in Spain want to charge .35% with no upper limit and Smile in the UK will take an incoming transfer at no charge but their exchange rate today is an ungenerous 1.2755 EUR to the GBP.

In the UK, Smile will process a Euro bank draft or cheque in the UK for .25% with a maximum of £60 but the same exchange rate applies.

That exchange rate looks like it is about 2% off the better rates being bandied about the internet - we just need to find out how best to get a good rate?

Many thanks.

There must be a better way?

We have used UKForex for several years and found them to be good. The exchange rate gets better with bigger sums and there is an easy interface to tell you exactly what rate you will be getting, updated in real time, before you commit.

Guest JudgeMental
Whoever you use just make sure they are FSA regulated, and watch out for fake/mirrored websites that imitate real brokers. Same goes for talking on the phone.......

Archived