Rear lounge models

Kate T

Hi everybody out there, Another motorhome rookie here....... My OH and I have made the decision to buy after years of camping and coveting our friends motorhome. We went shopping a couple of weeks ago and decided that we want a rear loung model, U shaped. The sort that can be a bigggggg double or 2 singles. We missed out on a sunseeker 25 and can't seem to find another. Has anyone out their got any suggestions for other models?? A dealer a little way from us has a Geist 560 we can't get to see it until Sat. What are these German vans like. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks I'm getting quite excited now we've made the decision. (Is that a bit sad?) Kate T P.S We are looking second hand less than 5 years oid.

Hi Kate T Glad to here another convert to our merry band of Motorhomers We are looking for a new van this ( sorry mean Motorhome ) year going to the York show with pockets full of notes. It will be our first NEW van even though we have had vans for 35+ years and like you we are getting quite exited, we will also be looking for an end lounge if poss. or some thing like we have now two large singles in the middle of the vehicle ( our days of needing a BIG double are sadle long gone ) I don,t know if you buy the MMM you can get some good Ideas out of this magazine although you don,t always see diagrams. The Jarman units are well constructed but are quite dear even second hand and you will find you could pay quite a tidy sum even 5 years old good look in your hunt Terry P

Thanks for all your replies. We want a U shaped lounge, the type with a free standing table to make the dinette. our budget is up to about 25K. We did realise about the seatbelt thing, our only passengers will be the golf clubs...... even more sad!!! Hence the over cab double required for the clubs. It's amazing how much room they need. Thanks again for your help and advice. Kate

Our Merc based Autotrail Scout would fit your bill. We have taken the rear seating out and stored it in the roof at home and put in its place a king size memory foam mattress. The camper is just over 9 years old now but not for sale for a while. Good luck in the quest.

Try before you buy !! We made the mistake of going from a fixed bed (caravan) to a U shaped lounge in the M/home. Wherever we put the cushions to make a double bed, either I or the navagator had a joint where either an elbow or hip dissappeared into when we turned over. We are now back to a fixed bed !

Yes we have been looking for a fixed bed, but then considered some of the u lounges as they had amazing amount of storage that could be got at inside and outside the van. Went back to the fixed bed idea though as I dont fancy after a long day having to make the bed up each night, did that in a caravan and it is hard work when your tired. Some of the fixed beds also have a table and chair arrangement that you put an extra bit between the seats and it makes into a lovely rounded shape settee at the front of the van, then you would have storage for the golf clubs underneath and wouldnt have to hoist them up over the cab each time. No doubt have lots to check out in York on Saturday, especially with all the help and hints I have got from here thank you

Thanks everybody for your help and advice. I wish I could go to York and see all the models. (Too far away!) I missed Shepton Mallet as we were away. Never mind I'll keep searching. I'm sure I'll have some more questions for all you experts soon. Cheers Kate

Hi Kate we are first time motorhomers and we bought a Swift Kontiki 2.8 this year it is 2003 model with a rear lounge which is what we wanted and we are very pleased with it . I makes up into a large double or 2 singles our little chihuahua used to sleep at the bottom of the double he didnt like it if we used singles but we haven been away now for acouple of weeks as our little man died on the 3rd of Sept; and its going to be really hard to go away without him :-( Anyway good luck with your search.

I did wonder about a rear lounge model so that we can leave the bed made up. Can't remember why we went back to looking at fixed bed models YEP - it's exciting. Even if we don't buy a motorcaravan hubby and I have met lots of lovely, helpful people all willing to share advice and tips. We have narrowed it down to 3 used-models so far - but after the NEC in October, who knows ? :-D

Try one of the big dealers they do special editions from eldis or compass on the 120 0r280 .30,000 buys brand new one .We have the brownhills suntor 120 . smaller model .German models are lovely but dear .If your looking at second hand go for better model maybe autosleeper or autotrail .As quenten wilson says you pays your money you make your choice. Happy motorhoming is worth the hunt when you have one but remember the one parked next door always seems better. Regards Andy

Thanks Andy I think you've summed it up. I'm sure that the one next door will look the best. Thanks again for all you're advice on models. Ill let you know what we get. After seeing the Sunseeker 25 and falling in love with it nothing seems to measure up in our price range. There seems to be some interesting ones about...... usually a few hundred miles away tho'. I see some advertised privately but I think we would be happier if we have a warranty of some sort from a dealer. Thanks Kate T

[QUOTE]Kate T - 2006-09-21 9:20 PM I see some advertised privately but I think we would be happier if we have a warranty of some sort from a dealer. Thanks Kate T[/QUOTE] Out of interest does anyone know how much a Dealer allows in his margin for Warranty work?. It would make a good guide to decide how much cheaper a Private purchase needs to be allowing for that and his profit. David

I noticed on the post from tonyishuk that one tends to slip down the gaps when using a made up bed. I've just bought a Pollensa and did wonder about this problem. The layout suits us but I can see the advantage of a fixed bed. Anybody else had problems with made up beds. If so, is there a way round it?

Kate T Noticed your budget of £25K - you should be able to find a Bessacarr E695 for that price (our 1998 model cost £24000). Huge U-shaped rear lounge with that v. handy chest of drawers with fold-out table. Can make up the beds either as two singles or large transverse double. Still leaves front dinette available - a superb layout which you'll also find on one of the Kon-Tiki models of similar vintage. Can't be beaten in our book, and despite high mileage ours is still in excellent condition with no leaks and no probs at all. Have a look see and decide for yourself!

Archived