Enlighten me - torches

Brock

For 24 years or so I have carried torches in my caravan or motorhome as a source of emergency lighting. On most occasions when we come to use the torches - once in a year if we're unlucky - we find the batteries flat. Last week, we needed a torch in the van and neither torch worked as both sets of batteries were beyond their 'use by' date.

So apart from continuing to buy torch batteries, is there an alternative?

We once had a 'wind up' torch which worked but gave a poor light. Gas or oil fired are out because of safety concerns.

We've got a couple of, what would've been cheapish "Wilko level", LED torches, that we must've had for 6-8 years...

They are quite small(about the size of 3-4 cotton reels)and they use 4 of the AAA batteries but these easily last us 18-24months...and we use them quite a bit.

(...not just in the van but when walking back from town, along unlit paths and across the fields..).

Admittedly, you're not going to go rabbitin' with 'em...but they do the job (lol)

...a mate of mine swears by Maglites, but I've never subscribed to spending a lot on torches.

John I have found that small led torches seem to keep their battery "alive" longer than conventional torches, I would also commend led lanterns.

One tip which I can pass on is to buy fresh batteres once a year but do not unwrap them unless you need them. Duracell seem to have a better best beforedate but this only applies before you open the package.

docted

Agreed - led torches are better at preserving battery life and the bulbs never seem to go either and as there are often several leds per torch that is an added measure of reliability.

A good brand of Alkaline battery helps too and Duracell have been proven to hold their power up to 8 years beyond use by date - not recommended - but when you find an old torch it comes as a surprise when it still works!

Personally I've not been very impressed with the battery life of wind ups - perhaps because they were cheap ones - but I have never known an led torch not work when needed.

We always carry a rechargeable L.E.D torch and the more powerful L.E.D lamp, the latter I bought this year from Aldi, just remember to charge them when on EH or if you have one fitted by the solar panel via an inverter. battery torches are IMO old hat.

safe Journeys.

Sorry, but in my experience no matter how good the makers say they are very few rechargeables of any sort hold their charge very long and certainly not long enough in my view to be an emergency torch solution.

So for a torch that will very little if any use why go to all the expense and faffing about with rechargeables when a packet of Alkalines are hardly expensive and are a lot more dependable?

We have a couple of wind up ones brought from Aldi, the larger one about 4 quid in Aldi 9 quid in B&Q. The light is good for our needs, but be aware the rechargeable batteries in them do fail. We had one fail after 4 or 5 years a replacement battery at trade price was about 3 times the cost of a new torch not friendly on the wallet to be environmentally friendly.

The batteries were soldered in and were nicd on the one where I replaced them with new nicd but it was not successful not least I think because the batteries never got fully charged.

On reflection maybe if I had used nimh batteries to avoid the memory effect of nicd it might have been better?

Guest pelmetman

For dog owners I find a head torch very useful as it leaves the hands free ;-)...................also comes in handy with the sick plunger for my Dalek impressions :D..............

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2014-08-12 5:08 PM

And when you take it off might it be the brightest thing ever to leave your head?

You are the Tracker!...........You are the enemy of the Daleks........Exterminate.......Exterminate........ :D......

pelmetman - 2014-08-12 5:13 PM

Tracker - 2014-08-12 5:08 PM

And when you take it off might it be the brightest thing ever to leave your head?

You are the Tracker!...........You are the enemy of the Daleks........Exterminate.......Exterminate........ :D......

You're a bit late Davros - others before you want me exterminated much more than you do - I think?

And to think that I could have plunged into darkness by a Lincolnshire Dalek!!

OOOOh what a fate!

clifford60 - 2014-08-12 4:14 PM

come on! 4-5 years use for £4. throw it away and buy anew one.

I did, but if you read my post properly I was saying it is not enviomently friend to throw it away when it only needs a small part replacing.

Have cheap led torches dotted around everywhere, house and van, and car. Power them with batteries from the Pound Shop, 12 AA for £1 and 18 AAA for £1, Kodak brand. It seems to me that people do from time to time over-complicate things, if you can afford tens of thousands of pounds for a motorhome, why do you have a problem with a torch?

AGD

I’m with the ‘wind up’ lobby. We have two, each with 5 leds that still work well after several years. When I remember I wind them up for about a minute even if they have not had recent use.

Lidle’s also sell (£7.99 from memory) a rechargeable strip light with 60 leds. We’ve had two for about 5 years. When fully charged they are really bright and last for a couple of hours.

Cattwg :-D

Archived