Enlighten me - torches

Brock

All my torches were both rechargeable and very old. Earlier this year all three packed up so I bought the best rechargeable one I could find which also can be used as a lantern. Takes 8 hours to charge and lasts for 5 hours. I already have a small led one wich is ok but I was amazed at the light output of the latest generation single led in the new torch. The beam as good as any torch I have ever had with a brilliant white light. From memory it was something in the region of £20 or so.

Apologies, but not all rechargeable,s are 240v a lot are 12v and can be charged from the Vehicles 12 volt supply I was thinking that some may have mobiles that need charging or perhaps a lap top, but it would seem most must walk around with dead batteries on those ....having forgot to charge them,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-LED-Rechargeable-torch-LED-1-Watt-Superbright-flashlight-12v-in-car-charger-/171416981797?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item27e93f9125

Yes just buy a decent LED torch with a good quality battery. If you have not used LEDs before you will be amazed how they have improved in range and brightness. Additionally their power consumption is tiny compared to "old fashioned" torches hence greatly extended battery life. For emergency use a Head torch can also be a boon. My PETZL has three AAA batteries and is still working on full power. It is used rarely but was purchased in 2008 !!

I use these, cheap as chips but brighter than a bright thing. I use as hunting lamps they throw a beam 150+ metres

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultrafire-1000LM-CREE-XML-T6-WF-502B-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Rechargable-Battery-CH-/291156052403?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item43ca40c9b3

Get an extra battery for a couple of quid too. All in less than a tenner!

We have a couple of wind-up torches which we also won from Safeguard and they work well. We also have some LED torches too but they do vary in quality and brightness. Some of the best torches, however, are bike ones as they are bright, don't take a lot of batteries and are easily stored being so small, you can attach them to a hat as a head torch, and of course you can actually use them on your bike ... but the best thing is as they usually have a flashing mode you can have your own 'personal disco'!!!! :D

As or candles ... nooooooooooooo ... NOT in a motorhome!!! 8-)

Colin Leake - 2014-08-12 10:26 PM

All my torches were both rechargeable and very old. Earlier this year all three packed up so I bought the best rechargeable one I could find which also can be used as a lantern. Takes 8 hours to charge and lasts for 5 hours. I already have a small led one wich is ok but I was amazed at the light output of the latest generation single led in the new torch. The beam as good as any torch I have ever had with a brilliant white light. From memory it was something in the region of £20 or so.

Colin, I think you are talking about the "Cree" torches. I bought a couple (about £14 each?) and the are, quite literally, brilliant. I've used them regularly over the last year and they are still on the original batteries. Lidl sell packs of Panasonic AA and AAA, £2 for 8, and they are pretty decent. Lidl and Aldi do head torches every year and the cost about £2 or £3 pounds, great for keeping working hands free where you need light.

As it happens I have a couple of small Magilites, great construction but the light they give off is poor and the battery consumption no better than a cheapo torch.

Ashpark - 2014-08-14 8:38 AM

Colin Leake - 2014-08-12 10:26 PM

Colin, I think you are talking about the "Cree" torches. I bought a couple (about £14 each?) and the are, quite literally, brilliant. I've used them regularly over the last year and they are still on the original batteries. Lidl sell packs of Panasonic AA and AAA, £2 for 8, and they are pretty decent. Lidl and Aldi do head torches every year and the cost about £2 or £3 pounds, great for keeping working hands free where you need light.

As it happens I have a couple of small Magilites, great construction but the light they give off is poor and the battery consumption no better than a cheapo torch.

No ours has built in LI batteries with no memory effect so it holds it's charge says UNI-COM on it.

Archived