Judder when breaking on Bessacar 435

pirio

Hi out and about.live,i have recently brought a Bessacar 04 plate 435 2.8 JTD motorhome, which when you brake quite hard judders, a friend of mine said this could be the ABS turning on and off, anybody else had this problem? :-|

Check the front discs for patches of rust from when the van has been standing as this can cause the brakes to grab and judder.

I would be inclined to remove the front wheels and remove and check the disc pads for condition and wear as these can crumble and disintegrate with age.

Not so easy to check is disc 'run out' which is a term used to describe a slightly buckled disc which can also cause brake judder.

Check the front discs for patches of rust from when the van has been standing as this can cause the brakes to grab and judder.

I would be inclined to remove the front wheels and remove and check the disc pads for condition and wear as these can crumble and disintegrate with age.

Not so easy to check is disc 'run out' which is a term used to describe a slightly buckled disc which can also cause brake judder.

Ferodo’s tips regarding brake judder are here

http://www.ferodo.com/en-gb/TechnicalSupport/TechnicalTips/Pages/Vibration-Problem.aspx

I’ve experienced brake judder on two of my vehicles. In the 1st instance (a Toyoto Corolla) the problem was due to a disk-rotor warping when hot and was cured by replacement of the rotors and the 2nd case involved my Ford Transit-based Hobby motorhome not too long after I bought the vehicle. I swapped the original Bosch brake-pads for Ferodo pads and the juddering stopped and never recurred. The Bosch pads were neear-new, visually in perfect condition, and I’ve no explanation as to why changing the pads to a different make stopped what was quite violent hard-braking juddering.

It’s usually possible to check visually (and easily) the thickness of the friction material of brake pads, but - as will be evident from this earlier forum thread - such a check won’t necessarily prove that the pads are in good condition.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Brake-pads-and-MOT-Ducato/35154/

The motorhome dealership that used to service my Hobby annually would, as a matter of policy, remove the brake pads from the callipers to check their condition. Similarly, they would remove the rear brake drums to check the condition of the brake shoes/linings and to remove accumulated dust. It has been known for the friction material of brake pads to separate completely from the pad’s back-plate.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Had a similar problem on my car. The ABS relies on a toothed ring to sense the rotation of the wheel. The ring is pressed on the hub and after some years may crack due to 'rust jacking' This can cause judder on breaking.

Remedy is check the ring and replace it of cracked. BTW I took the 2 halves of mine cleaned them up and glued them back on with epoxy resin. fixed!

HTH

Archived