Bad smell in my wash room

harryb1966

Hi guys, still getting things ready for our first outing but I have noticed that there is an unpleasant smell in washroom over the past few days.

I have drained the grey tank but it hasn't helped. In an effort to improve matters I emptied a solution of lavender and orange disinfectant down the sink and then put some beat down the various plug holes.

Is this the right thing to have done or is there something better that I can do?

Also, there is no waste cassette in the van yet so it's not that that is causing the problem.

Thanks,

Harry

Guest pelmetman

Put plugs in the sink and shower plug holes................as the smell is most likely emanating from the grey waste tank ;-)............

Bleach is far and away the best smell remover, just do not leave it in prolonged contact with stainless steel as it corrodes.

A dollop of bleach down every orifice followed by copious water a minute or two later, followed by gentle use of a plunger often cleans the gunge out of pipes.

You can leave the bleachy solution in the tank whilst you drive to swill it all about then drain the tank as soon as you stop so the gunge drains whilst in suspension and does not re-settle on the tank floor.

Flush out the sink and shower - and kitchen sink too - with fresh water and re-drain the tank to clear the bleach out.

It's always worked for me for the last 40 years!

Other suggestions in the past have included:-

Empty a bttle of Fairy Liquid 9 I know others are made as well but it makes more bubbles

Biological Detergent whatever is the cheapest

Sodium Bicarbonate

All of these are best done on a location where you have access to a drain but not on the highway.

Method is same with all empty waste tank then as tracker described go for a run come back empty again and flush out.

Personally I find using Bicarb whenever I empty the tank keeps it smelling nice. For this I just use half a small tub then a kettle full of boiling water just before you leave site. Spread it between all orifices.

docted - 2014-08-13 4:05 PM

Other suggestions in the past have included:-

Empty a bttle of Fairy Liquid 9 I know others are made as well but it makes more bubbles

Biological Detergent whatever is the cheapest

Sodium Bicarbonate

Have you ever had to use bleach in conjunction with any of these options? Although bleach does the trick it would be better to get away with using something less harsh.

Chris I personally would not use bleach as you say it is very harsh, additionally it is one off effect and source of problem starts to build up again immediately. Thats why I stick with bicarb its an ongoing treatment regime which keeps the tank sweet smelling.

Chris I personally would not use bleach as you say it is very harsh, additionally it is one off effect and source of problem starts to build up again immediately. Thats why I stick with bicarb its an ongoing treatment regime which keeps the tank sweet smelling.

Hi Harry, happened to me in my Autotrail. Smell coming from overflow pipe, just under your toilet.

Run hose into kitchen sink and fill to brim, adding 2 containers of Aldi's flash type cleaning agent, can't remember the name, but it works great. It comes in lots of different colours, doesn't matter which one.

Completely fill waste tank, till foam/water comes out overflow pipe .

Leave for as long as possible, a week would be good.

Take van for a run, then empty down a drain somewhere.

If possible do it again, I do this about three times a year now.

Should work Harry, remember the filling of the tank to the brim will help clear waste stuck up the sides.

Hope this helps!!

Peter

:-o

Some m/homes have corrugated tube as the waste pipe and this traps debris. I found that a using a sink plunger helped wash out some of the muck. (Not heavy handed as the joints can blow,)

I also found that my waste traps, stopped working when mucky, a quick unscrew and clean, brought the water level up and stopped the odors rising from the tank.

Rgds

docted - 2014-08-14 5:49 PM

Thanks docted - very handy advice!

This has got me thinking about writing a guide on motorhome cleaning tips for the Pegasus Finance blog.

Would people here be happy to be featured (fully credited of course)? Is it worth starting a new thread about this?

Sometimes the waste pipes under the van have a bit of slack in them or can be rerouted to create a dip in the pipe as close to the sink outlet as you can get.

This will act as a water trap and help prevent nasty niffs coming back up from the tank and as long as you flush it well through from time to time it is unlikely to clog up.

But if the tank is clean in the first place there should be no smells unless you let lots of food waste down the kitchen sink or fail to empty the tank at the end of a trip thus allowing sedimentary gunge to congeal on the sides and bottom of the tank.

I have found that the best solution to prevent smells is biological washing liquid; I put a half capful into the waste pipes using a rotation system every time we empty the waste tank.  IE, each waste is treated 1 in 3 empties.  Also, we use a 'trap' in the kitchen sink to prevent food bits getting into the system and where possible empty the washing up bowl elsewhere such as the aire service point drain or on site drain.  We try to get a fair amount into the waste tank before emptying and give it a 'bit of a swill' via braking en-route to the drain, hopefully thus creating better flow to prevent any deposit collecting in the bottom.  It may be that all these measures are merely giving us a sense of positive action and do not actually make a difference, but we don't now suffer any bad pongs emitting from the plugholes.

Apparently the 'bio' bit breaks down bacteria.  I actually use Aldi bio detergent c/w softener but only because this saves me having to take another bottle for doing the washing as well.lol 

I wouldn't like to use bleach unless I was flushing it straight out again, too harsh.

I have owned caravans for the last eight years as well as my motor home since.I have found that a sterident tablet by any manufacturer has helped to clear any wiffs and mould from the water system. this can also be used to clear the water supply as well, but be carefull rinsing out the supply system after sterilising before using. We never drink the water from our supply prefering bottled water so doesn,t matter in our case.

Fitted waste traps in the pipes between sinks and the waste tank, solves the problem completely, without needing to clean the tank regularly.

Mine have been fitted for 3 years, and no nasty smells - total cost little more than a bottle of bio liquid. ;-) ;-)

Hi. Just done this little trick

A word of WARNING

Don't fill up to the top of your waste tank and go for a ride

I just did this and WOE WHAT A MESS

The waste water came back up the drain hole of my shower unit, overflowed and came into the rest of the van. Under all the bunks and carpeting

Had to completely empty everything at floor level and disinfect the whole lot.

BEWARE FILLING THE WASTE TANK AND MOVEING :-(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived