Home and contents insurance

Randonneur

Guest pelmetman

That's who we're with, and if you join the CC you can for a small fee up it to 120 days I believe? :-S..........

RIAS are pretty good, and they do home protection (boiler,service inc.)

I know they pay out , as we had a house fire some years ago, and they arrived same day, and arranged accomadation, and we had the decorators that did Windsor castle for HM, so job well done!

PJay

We're now with Home Protect and I recall when we were going through it on-line they had an option for extending the amount of days away from home, we went for up to 45, but I'm sure there was a 60 and 90 day option plus a £50 cashback ... even without the cash back it is still a good price and a good policy!

http://www.homeprotect.co.uk/cash-back/resol50/resol50landing?bid=1136&agentid=1186&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Avantia+Insurance+Ltd&utm_campaign=4450219_Resol|Mobilestyle|21072014|Post1950&utm_content=getquote&dm_i=FS,2NDT7,2HSZV4,9OMJJ,1

Randonneur - 2014-08-13 2:19 PM

starvin marvin - 2014-08-13 2:03 PM

We use Nationwide BS who do 90 days and you can have 120 and 180days if you wish.

Spoken to Nationwide this morning and they only do 60 days, spoke to the underwriter who confirmed this.

We have also been down this Route, we ended up back with the Caravan Club, we seldom go for more than 90 days, but it's handy just to be able to ring up and extend the cover if need be.

The worst thing would be to get back and find you had been Burgled/Flooded/ or house collapsed, and were NOT covered. worth the extra IMHO. Ray

We use Nationwide BS who do 90 days and you can have 120 and 180days if you wish.

Spoken to Nationwide this morning and they only do 60 days, spoke to the underwriter who confirmed this.

In response to your reply, I've just checked my current policy document and the notes I made when I last spoke with them on 02/01/14 that "Conditions for Unfurnished or Unoccupied Homes" page 49 apply after 60 days.

After 60days an endorsement is applied to the policy and the conditions outlined in the above section of the policy doc applies. The endorsement is at NO cost.

There are 5 conditions that apply after 60 days the main 3 are:-

All locks and protective devices are used.

If wet C/H is not drained down heating to be kept to 12degC from 01/11 to 31/03.

House to be checked internally at least every 14days.

Sorry but it seems like you were misinformed. If you speak with them again my advice is to interrogate the information given.

In response to your reply, I've just checked my current policy document and the notes I made when I last spoke with them on 02/01/14 that "Conditions for Unfurnished or Unoccupied Homes" page 49 apply after 60 days.

After 60days an endorsement is applied to the policy and the conditions outlined in the above section of the policy doc applies. The endorsement is at NO cost.

There are 5 conditions that apply after 60 days the main 3 are:-

All locks and protective devices are used.

If wet C/H is not drained down heating to be kept to 12degC from 01/11 to 31/03.

House to be checked internally at least every 14days.

Sorry but it seems like you were misinformed. If you speak with them again my advice is to interrogate the information given.

I used this company; http://www.homeprotect.co.uk/

The Policy is underwritten by AXA and they allow you to stipulate your period of vacancy. I went for 160 days but you can have more. I paid £180 for my policy though must admit to feeling House Insurance is only handy to have if your house burns down to the ground or gets blown away by a mushroom cloud.

A few years ago part of my roofing suffered damage after a bad storm (tiles shifted which let water seep in). Having paid out thousands in Home Insurance and only ever making one claim in almost 45 years, decided to call them. They sent an Assessor out who took five minutes to look it over from ground level, pulled his face and declared, "just general wear and tear mate".

Brilliant. *-)

Archived