No More Tax Disc,s

PJay

Just got my renewal notification.

It says on the envelope that"from 1st October 2014, you still need to tax vehicle, but you won't get a tax disc"

Is this the start of finishing this ridiculous tax ?

I have always felt that the tax should be on the fuel, so high users pay more tax.

PJay

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PJay - 2014-08-14 2:32 PM

It says on the envelope that"from 1st October 2014, you still need to tax vehicle, but you won't get a tax disc"

I have always felt that the tax should be on the fuel, so high users pay more tax.

PJay

No

PJay - 2014-08-14 2:32 PM

PJay

In your dreams.

:-D

Guest pelmetman
Wasn't Me - 2014-08-14 3:15 PM

But surely the price will decrease?

The money saved from printing and posting the disc will filter down to the driver obviously.

I admire your optimism :D....................my own camper will be road tax free in 16 years time B-)..............

But I'll be 72 8-)......................

gocro - 2014-08-14 3:27 PM

The cut of date for free tax, is that it left the factory before January the first 1973, it is NOT a rolling date for classic vehicles.

....I believe the rolling status was re-introduced in this year's budget (at 40 years), and the cut-off is currently January 1st 1974, to be adjusted by a year annually each April.

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2014-08-14 4:16 PM

The cut of date for free tax, is that it left the factory before January the first 1973, it is NOT a rolling date for classic vehicles.

....I believe the rolling status was re-introduced in this year's budget (at 40 years), and the cut-off is currently January 1st 1974, to be adjusted by a year annually each April.

I wonder how much road tax will be in 16 years time? :-S...................

Probably more than 2+ weeks pension as it is now............As the motorists is the easy target for our lords and masters *-).................

What they should really do now, apart from completely abolishing the Road Fund licence, is to introduce the Windscreen Insurance Disc as in done in many continental countries and was introduced many years ago in the Channel Islands, and that at least shows that the vehicle is insured.

The Disc is supplied by the Insurers and valid for the length of time it is covered for, after all the Parking wardens (or whatever name they now have) patrol the streets and should be able to pick up very easily whether a vehicle is insured..

Keith T - 2014-08-14 5:42 PM

What they should really do now, apart from completely abolishing the Road Fund licence, is to introduce the Windscreen Insurance Disc as in done in many continental countries and was introduced many years ago in the Channel Islands, and that at least shows that the vehicle is insured.

The Disc is supplied by the Insurers and valid for the length of time it is covered for, after all the Parking wardens (or whatever name they now have) patrol the streets and should be able to pick up very easily whether a vehicle is insured..

Have to agree with you, totally.

But still get the revenue from higher fuel charges, . You can't run a car/van without fuel, but you can ( and some do) run without insurance, and causes a lot of hassle if involved in accident.

PJay

Robinhood - 2014-08-14 4:16 PM

Wow that's tremendous news, I've had my head in the sand when it comes to budgets never imagining that there is good news in them.

I am afraid I am a belt and braces man

I assume you have a receipt or similar to show Mr Plod, when his system breaks down and the DVLA computer system fouls up ?

Rgds

Just as I pressed the send button, the MOT/ Registration papers debacle sprang into my mind, That was said it it could never happen (New registration documents sent out to a few thousand owners)

tonyishuk - 2014-08-14 7:20 PM

I assume you have a receipt or similar to show Mr Plod, when his system breaks down and the DVLA computer system fouls up ?

Rgds

Having recently been mis-identified as a goods vehicle/commercial vehicle, by a manned speed camera, and as numberplate recognition seems to be the norm now, I'm "looking forward" to being wrongly accused of having paid the wrong road fund licence fee at some future date! Watch this space!!

regards

alan b

DVLA's track record doesn't really inspire you with confidence does it?

I suspect that in the unlikely event (these days, surely, even in the public service) of a catastrophic computer system problem, if they haven't given us written receipts they can hardly expect us to produce them?

Mind you, the obligation on the owner of a SORNed vehice is to produce DVLA's confirmatory piece of paper, isn't it?

A question, will they still be sending out reminders ? I hope so, because without the disc to remind me, I won't have a clue when it is about to expire.

I too have little faith in the DVLA's Computer competence,i will be getting a receipt from the post office just to prove that I AM taxed should ANPR say otherwise, like wise my Insurance and MOT.

Luckily with hardly ANY traffic police about these days, I am hardly likely to get pulled over.No ANPR camera's within 70 miles either, So the local 'Wide Boys' must be laughing to themselves. (Wild West indeed !). *-)

We still can't loose the term Road Tax. It is Vehicle Excise Duty which is a tax on the vehicle not the right to use the road.

The amount you pay is based on the polluting level of the vehicle and the potential wear and tear to the road surface. That is why heavy trucks etc pay a very large amount and why you would expect a Transit van to be paying more than a small car.

StuartO - 2014-08-15 11:45 AM

I don't know whether there will be rminders but they are planning to renew automatically by Direct Debit.

well I for one won't be signing DD authority - what to some Government Department, they must be joking!

if we happen to be away/abroad on the renewal date but I would never trust such a body to take what it due and only that and then only on the correct day!

Keith T - 2014-08-15 11:54 AM

well I for one won't be signing DD authority - what to some Government Department, they must be joking!

There is a very strong lobby promoting Direct Debits - because it suits businesses, but I see no really significant advantage to the pubilc.

Some have far too much faith in electronics !

:-(

Guest Had Enough
malc d - 2014-08-15 12:50 PM

There is a very strong lobby promoting Direct Debits - because it suits businesses, but I see no really significant advantage to the pubilc.

Some have far too much faith in electronics !

:-(

No significant advantage to the public?

Let's start with a few: I don't have to write a cheque every month for my council tax, pay for a stamp and take it to the post box. Or at best, I don't have to set up a new standing order every year.

I don't need to remember to pay my credit card bill every month and risk interest charges if I forget.

I don't have to do anything to pay my TV licence.

I have more faith in electronics than in my own memory, especially when I'm very busy.

Direct debits offer lots of advantages to the public. They're cheaper for us than paying bills any other way, they're cheaper for the supplier, which ultimately benefits consumers, but most important of all they save us a lot of trouble and take away the worry of missing a payment, which in some cases can have very deleterious consequences.

OK, you may have worries about setting up a DD with some bloke who wants to tarmac your drive, but with your local council, or the government? Come on folks, we're in the 21st Century!

In many years of paying by DD I have never had a single problem.

StuartO - 2014-08-15 11:45 AM

I don't know whether there will be rminders but they are planning to renew automatically by Direct Debit.

Not with me they are Not, I only allow Direct debits to trustworthy Bodies and companies, I don't count the DVLA as that trustworthy.

Archived