No More Tax Disc,s

PJay

Guest pelmetman
Rayjsj - 2014-08-15 5:14 PM

StuartO - 2014-08-15 11:45 AM

I don't know whether there will be rminders but they are planning to renew automatically by Direct Debit.

Not with me they are Not, I only allow Direct debits to trustworthy Bodies and companies, I don't count the DVLA as that trustworthy.

I reckon the problem is not so much about being trustworthy................Incompetence seems to be what blights the public sector, combined with a slope shouldered or denial mentality *-)................

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listening to radio 4 today, it was reported that the DVLA seems to have ""lost"" a high number of Northern Irish registrations during data transfer.

It seems the Northern Ireland DVLA was closed down before the """error"" was noticed, leaving Northern Irish motorists with NO RECORD of their vehicles, let alone when tax & MOT is due,

They can not use the vehicles because the insurance is invalid because they have no identifiable registration number.

Head of DVLA was aware of the problem which was ""shortly"" to be resolved, but as DVLA have no idea of what has been lost, it would seem difficult to find !!

Rgds

Hi folks, I am in favour of ending tax discs,

BUT, as I understand it, I will have to create a direct debit OR give details of my Debit card, so they can take the money due..ok in principle, BUT my Debit card validity expires on a certain date, and I usually get a new card issued but with a different number and security code. What happens when they try to take the money with the out of date card details.I can forsee the possibility of being untaxed, and therefore uninsured..

will this cause a problem,, possibly they wont accept debit cards ... think again brainboxes.

tonyg3nwl

Guest Had Enough
tonyg3nwl - 2014-08-15 7:26 PM

BUT, as I understand it, I will have to create a direct debit OR give details of my Debit card, so they can take the money due..ok in principle, BUT my Debit card validity expires on a certain date, and I usually get a new card issued but with a different number and security code. What happens when they try to take the money with the out of date card details.I can forsee the possibility of being untaxed, and therefore uninsured..

will this cause a problem,, possibly they wont accept debit cards ... think again brainboxes.

tonyg3nwl

How on earth does my local council, my utilities company, my phone provider, TV Licensing, my broadband provider and my credit card company manage to successfully direct debit my account at regular intervals, thus making my life so much simpler? To read people on here it's suddenly a huge mystery to me!

Why on earth would anyone give their debit card details? Why not just give your bank account info as you do for every other operation that operates direct debits? That way there's no expiry date to worry about and if you give debit card info you're giving those details anyway.

What is different about the DVLA that it will be unable to do a simple direct debit once a year? It's a massive organisation doing millions of transactions, 99% of them fuss-free. But like all other big operations it will occasionally err, but so what? It's not dishonest and the DD guarantee applies to the DVLA the same as to every other organisation.

I can't believe all this fuss about a simple direct debit, something that we all must have from many different organisations. I'm not fond of my local council but they have no problem DDing my council tax ten months of the year.

I seem to recollect that we had all this palaver when people were told that their pension payments would be sent straight into their bank accounts. Good God, we can't possibly have that, too much to go wrong. I'd much prefer to queue up at the post office once a week!

Hi again, my point was that it has been suggested that Debit card details would be acceptable as an alternative to DD, hence expired details could cause a problem..

I have no issue with DD arrangements, it pays many of my bills and also pension inputs..

but as has been suggested, why not put the tax on fuel..then everyone pays for what they use .

..and before you complain , I know the tax is already too high, so a better idea is just forget the tax disc altogether and close down the department.

tonyx

Guest Had Enough
tonyg3nwl - 2014-08-15 7:56 PM

Hi again, my point was that it has been suggested that Debit card details would be acceptable as an alternative to DD, hence expired details could cause a problem..

I have no issue with DD arrangements, it pays many of my bills and also pension inputs..

but as has been suggested, why not put the tax on fuel..then everyone pays for what they use .

..and before you complain , I know the tax is already too high, so a better idea is just forget the tax disc altogether and close down the department.

tonyx

But if the department is closed down who would deal with the registration of vehicles? Or are you suggesting that we need no longer bother about who owns a particular car?

I've just bought my daughter a new Honda Civic. It's engine is so efficient that it has zero annual road tax, but it still has to have a registration number and be logged into the system as existing and owned by someone.

I too think that it's a great move. Lately I've enjoyed the convenience of renewing my road taxes online, which has been very simple. Far better than having to post cheques or go to the Post Office. This is one step that will make it even simpler. Well done the DVLA say I.

Muswell - 2014-08-15 2:21 PM

You speak wisely. I trust the electrons to pay my pension so why not trust them pay my VED?

Whether or not H.E.s words about direct debits are " wise " is, of course, a matter of opinion.

But they are certainly predictable, as he is a business owner.

I'm not opposed to direct debits, and I use them, - I just don't like to be told how I must pay ( even if it is the 21 st century ).

;-)

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-15 7:41 PM

I seem to recollect that we had all this palaver when people were told that their pension payments would be sent straight into their bank accounts. Good God, we can't possibly have that, too much to go wrong. I'd much prefer to queue up at the post office once a week!

Back in the 80's we lived opposite a Post Office, and used to be woken up by the pensioners and their yacking in the morning *-)............

I now know it was the highlight of their week, the chance to mix with folk of a similar age and circumstance B-)...........much more valuable than a direct debit into their bank account :-|...........

Guest Had Enough
malc d - 2014-08-15 8:10 PM

You speak wisely. I trust the electrons to pay my pension so why not trust them pay my VED?

Whether or not H.E.s words are " wise " is, of course, a matter of opinion.

I'm not opposed to direct debits, and I use them, - I just don't like to be told how I must pay ( even if it is the 21 st century ).

;-)

I have never been paid by direct debit by any of my customers. They pay by cash, debit or credit card.

My views are nothing whatsoever to do with my job. My views are those of an ordinary member of the public who has vast experience of paying several organisations by direct debit. As a matter of interest, how do you pay your council tax?

However, no one is telling you how you MUST pay. The direct debit scheme is just one option. You will still be able to pay online or even go to a post office to renew your annual tax if you wish.

What is all the fuss about? All that's happening here is that the DVLA is giving you an extra, very simple option to renew your tax either by annual, bi-annual or monthly direct debits. If you don't want it, don't choose it.

Guest Had Enough
pelmetman - 2014-08-15 8:22 PM

Back in the 80's we lived opposite a Post Office, and used to be woken up by the pensioners and their yacking in the morning *-)............

I now know it was the highlight of their week, the chance to mix with folk of a similar age and circumstance B-)...........much more valuable than a direct debit into their bank account :-|...........

So, if they enjoyed their weekly trip to the post office so much, why have most of them opted for it to be paid into their bank accounts?

It isn't compulsory and they can still have their pensions paid into a Post Office Card Account and draw their cash from their local post office.

Funny that most have opted for direct payment into their bank account if it really was 'the highlight of their week'.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2014-08-15 8:10 PM

Whether or not H.E.s words about direct debits are " wise " is, of course, a matter of opinion.

;-)

Don't forget the HMRC are now seeking direct access to our accounts 8-)..............given my experience of their incompetence coupled with their avarice of the meek *-)................a good stash of cash might be useful should they decide to clear your account for no reason ;-)...............

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-15 8:30 PM

pelmetman - 2014-08-15 8:22 PM

So, if they enjoyed their weekly trip to the post office so much, why have most of them opted for it to be paid into their bank accounts?

It isn't compulsory and they can still have their pensions paid into a Post Office Card Account and draw their cash from their local post office.

Funny that most have opted for direct payment into their bank account if it really was 'the highlight of their week'.

Probably because they were stitched up by the establishment, when they introduced a card with a pin number system rather than a pension book *-)...............I struggle with card the numbers I'm expected to remember 8-).....

Guest Had Enough
pelmetman - 2014-08-15 8:53 PM

Probably because they were stitched up by the establishment, when they introduced a card with a pin number system rather than a pension book *-)...............I struggle with card the numbers I'm expected to remember 8-).....

Yep, that'll definitely be it. The 'Establishment' said, "Let's give all those pensioners another option to have their pensions paid as we know that not all of them enjoy having to go to the post office in all weathers."

"But surely" said Eton educated 'Establishment man' " we can't expect these working class chappies to be able to handle a Post Office account with a card for withdrawals. They're all too thick for that you know."

It's awful, these 'Establishment' types stitching up the ordinary man again. Giving them choices and decisions to make.

Make the buggers queue up at the Post Office once a week say I. What does it matter if they can't walk properly or worry about being mugged as soon as they've drawn their cash? They're far too thick to be able to handle a bank account with a card. Apart from which it'll be the highlight of their week.

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-15 9:06 PM

pelmetman - 2014-08-15 8:53 PM

Yep, that'll definitely be it. The 'Establishment' said, "Let's give all those pensioners another option to have their pensions paid as we know that not all of them enjoy having to go to the post office in all weathers."

"But surely" said Eton educated 'Establishment man' " we can't expect these working class chappies to be able to handle a Post Office account with a card for withdrawals. They're all too thick for that you know."

It's awful, these 'Establishment' types stitching up the ordinary man again. Giving them choices and decisions to make.

Make the buggers queue up at the Post Office once a week say I. What does it matter if they can't walk properly or worry about being mugged as soon as they've drawn their cash? They're far too thick to be able to handle a bank account with a card.

It's so obvious your a salesman Frank *-).............sadly you and your ilk the spin merchants are now running the asylum called UK PLC where only the bottom line matters 8-)..............

Hopefully those of us who still believe we are a community rather then those who see us as a commodity *-).....................will have a chance to change the tide of rhetoric at the next election B-).............

Guest Had Enough
pelmetman - 2014-08-15 9:18 PM

It's so obvious your a salesman Frank *-).............sadly you and your ilk the spin merchants are now running the asylum called UK PLC where only the bottom line matters 8-)..............

Hopefully those of us who still believe we are a community rather then those who see us as a commodity *-).....................will have a chance to change the tide of rhetoric at the next election B-).............

A salesman? You mean because I've pointed out that, once more, you're talking nonsense, in this case about how the awful establishment has conned all these poor pensioners who you think are too thick to be able to handle a Post office account?

Shame on you for assuming that pensioners can't make a sensible choice about how they receive their pensions. What a superior attitude you have.

I notice today that the UK has the fastest growing economy in the world. UK PLC seems to be doing very well considering the 'spin merchants' who are running it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10988849/UK-has-fastest-growing-economy-International-Monetary-Fund-says.html

Anyway, I'll leave you to your delusions as this thread is going the usual way. You come out with something that's a load of tripe, someone points out to you that it is tripe, you have no answer, so you change the subject.

I'm not falling for it any more so cheerio.

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-15 9:30 PM

pelmetman - 2014-08-15 9:18 PM

A salesman? You mean because I've pointed out that, once more, you're talking nonsense, in this case about how the awful establishment has conned all these poor pensioners who you think are too thick to be able to handle a Post office account?

Shame on you for assuming that pensioners can't make a sensible choice about how they receive their pensions. What a superior attitude you have.

I notice today that the UK has the fastest growing economy in the world. UK PLC seems to be doing very well considering the 'spin merchants' who are running it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10988849/UK-has-fastest-growing-economy-International-Monetary-Fund-says.html

Anyway, I'll leave you to your delusions as this thread is going the usual way. You come out with something that's a load of tripe, someone points out to you that it is tripe, you have no answer, so you change the subject.

I'm not falling for it any more so cheerio.

Well this quote of yours beats all (lol) (lol)..........."What a superior attitude you have".............Your such a spin merchant Frank *-).............

Yes the UK economy is growing..............but why ;-).................because of retail therapy.......the lack of exports seem to have been forgotten to make pleasing headlines *-)...........which is the saviour of the capitalist West...........Hence we yet again we will endure the cycle of boom and bust and endure the EU to ride tamdam

8-)................But to give the EU its due :-| ...............they know our current system is unsustainable............but needs must eh? >:-)

tonyg3nwl - 2014-08-15 7:26 PM

tonyg3nwl

Also

bear in mind that if you sign a DD for your Bank account it is under YOUR control, you can cancel it whenever you wish.and very easily if you have internet banking

.If you use a credit card/debit card number then it is a lot more difficult and often only by getting in touch through a lousy call centre system offering too many options, but never the one you want.

I rather think it would be impossible for any company or body to insist you pay by DD or Cr Card as lot's of folk don't have either. ..as far as I am aware there is no legislation either on the books or likely to be which insist that everyone who owns a car must have a Bank or credit card account...!

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-15 9:30 PM

Not at all Frank :-|...........Although those of us who are comfortable with the tinternet are growing................you conveniently forget those who are not *-)...............So I would suggest it is you who has the superior attitude *-)..............As I doubt someone of your stature has ever stood inline behind a pensioner who has struggled to put their card in the machine let alone remember their pin number :-|.............

Pampam - 2014-08-14 8:22 PM

I dont pay road tax on my little car (toyota iq) but have just bought a transit which i think is £240 a year .... Bleaugh!

Assuming that your Transit is registered in Tax Class 11 (Private or light goods vehicles (PLG) weighing no more than 3500kg), the annual Vehicle Tax rate applying to it is currently £230.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/299797/V149__2014-15.pdf

(Probably be £240 per year (or higher) with effect from 1 April 2015 though.)

tonyishuk - 2014-08-16 3:45 PM

Sort of back to the main topic.

I assume when a car is sold, scrapped or Sorned, the relevant piece of paper is sent to the DVLA and they automatically refund the tax outstanding via reverse DD payment ?

I can hardly wait !

Rgds

What paper will there be Tony?

I guess you will have to claim on line??

I can see great fun will be had by all!!

Of course it may be that then you return the part of log book to DVLA they will then return the tax??

I still say put the ATax on the fuel, and put a lot of the idiots at DVLA out of work

PJay

tonyishuk - 2014-08-16 3:45 PM

Sort of back to the main topic.

I assume when a car is sold, scrapped or Sorned, the relevant piece of paper is sent to the DVLA and they automatically refund the tax outstanding via reverse DD payment ?

I can hardly wait !

Rgds

What paper will there be Tony?

I guess you will have to claim on line??

I can see great fun will be had by all!!

Of course it may be that then you return the part of log book to DVLA they will then return the tax??

I still say put the ATax on the fuel, and put a lot of the idiots at DVLA out of work

PJay

Going back more on the actual subject rather than two very strong opinions which really have little to do with it, my suggestion of a Windscreen Insurance disc and putting the 'tax' onto the fuel - someone mentioned the difference in tax rates for various vehicle classes, which is the current system.

Surely if the tax is put on fuel it will automatically cover that aspect, and also factor in more efficient vehicles, as its will cover both the actual miles we each travel ( ie fuel consumed), as well as the MPG levels of the different vehicles. In fact I would have thought a much more efficient way of collecting the tax. It would then mean that for those of us who only do say 6k miles per year, we pay less than those who travel 50k miles pa.

Equally, in my own situation I expect to travel roughly 6k miles pa in the motorhome, and a similar amount in the car. Bearing in mind that the car does roughly twice as many mpg then it immediately brings into play the tax levels according to vehicle as well as actual miles.

I'm rather surprised that this hasn't already been introduced! I guess it would actually mean more tax into the coffers, and to my mind is actually fairer.

Hi once more, just trying to think a bit more logically, if tax is on fuel , how much will actually reach the revenues coffers..who actually transfers the tax collected at the pumps back to the authorities..is it the garages, or the big fuel companies.

the big oil companies , if it is them, will no doubt be sure to minimise their tax take by being based in some offshore part of the world and therefore find ways of limiting their tax liability..or am I being too cynical..

if it is the retailers, then do they each have to calculate their own tax liability based on gallons sold separately from their other business transactions..a headache for them..

to pay via fuel used is fairer for consumer, no doubt..but will it ever happen. Fairly???

Tony

tonyg3nwl - 2014-08-16 4:37 PM

Hi once more, just trying to think a bit more logically, if tax is on fuel , how much will actually reach the revenues coffers..who actually transfers the tax collected at the pumps back to the authorities..is it the garages, or the big fuel companies.

the big oil companies , if it is them, will no doubt be sure to minimise their tax take by being based in some offshore part of the world and therefore find ways of limiting their tax liability..or am I being too cynical..

if it is the retailers, then do they each have to calculate their own tax liability based on gallons sold separately from their other business transactions..a headache for them..

to pay via fuel used is fairer for consumer, no doubt..but will it ever happen. Fairly???

Tony

They (the retailers)already do it, with ALL the tax already on fuel, if VED was added, there would just be more of it, thats all. The 'powers that be' would still want all vehicles to be registered in some way or other though, and you can bet your life it wouldn't be free !

Not going to pay by Direct Debit or Debit Card , call into our local Post Office and pay with cash, and will be getting a receipt to prove that I did. Not everyone has a Bank Account or is willing to give out their debit card number. But they still run a car. I do, but not everyone does.

Archived