No More Tax Disc,s

PJay

Guest Had Enough
PJay - 2014-08-16 3:49 PM

tonyishuk - 2014-08-16 3:45 PM

Sort of back to the main topic.

I assume when a car is sold, scrapped or Sorned, the relevant piece of paper is sent to the DVLA and they automatically refund the tax outstanding via reverse DD payment ?

I can hardly wait !

Rgds

What paper will there be Tony?

I guess you will have to claim on line??

I can see great fun will be had by all!!

Of course it may be that then you return the part of log book to DVLA they will then return the tax??

I still say put the ATax on the fuel, and put a lot of the idiots at DVLA out of work

PJay

Under the new system the tax will end the day that you tell the DVLA that it's been transferred. If you pay annually and there's six months left you will have it refunded automatically. No need to send discs back or make a claim. This is all available online.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

I pay my road tax for three vehicles online and it's never been a problem. You immediately get an email confirming the transaction and the disc always arrives within seven days.

As for putting thousands of ordinary men and women out of work, men and women just like most other men and women with families and mortgages, that just beggars belief.

I do wonder how some people pay their council tax. Mine is directed debited every month and I've never had a problem. Do some people really go the the council office once a month with a load of cash?

I have never had a problem with the DVLA and that applies to most of the population. An organisation so enormous that processes million of transactions every year will slip up occasionally. Are all its critics perfect themselves?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Had Enough
tonyg3nwl - 2014-08-16 4:37 PM

Hi once more, just trying to think a bit more logically, if tax is on fuel , how much will actually reach the revenues coffers..who actually transfers the tax collected at the pumps back to the authorities..is it the garages, or the big fuel companies.

Tony

Every penny will reach the authorities if it's added to the normal tax on fuel, just as it does now. All that would happen is that the tax would be larger. Just as now it's nothing to do with an oil company's profit or where it's registered.

But even if car tax is abolished and put on fuel we'll still need our vehicles to be registered. If they're not how do we know who actually owns a car? We'll still need registration numbers and V5 forms etc. That's pretty obvious.

Had Enough - 2014-08-16 5:04 PM

PJay - 2014-08-16 3:49 PM

tonyishuk - 2014-08-16 3:45 PM

Sort of back to the main topic.

I assume when a car is sold, scrapped or Sorned, the relevant piece of paper is sent to the DVLA and they automatically refund the tax outstanding via reverse DD payment ?

I can hardly wait !

Rgds

What paper will there be Tony?

I guess you will have to claim on line??

I can see great fun will be had by all!!

Of course it may be that then you return the part of log book to DVLA they will then return the tax??

I still say put the ATax on the fuel, and put a lot of the idiots at DVLA out of work

PJay

Under the new system the tax will end the day that you tell the DVLA that it's been transferred. If you pay annually and there's six months left you will have it refunded automatically. No need to send discs back or make a claim. This is all available online.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

I pay my road tax for three vehicles online and it's never been a problem. You immediately get an email confirming the transaction and the disc always arrives within seven days.

As for putting thousands of ordinary men and women out of work, men and women just like most other men and women with families and mortgages, that just beggars belief.

I do wonder how some people pay their council tax. Mine is directed debited every month and I've never had a problem. Do some people really go the the council office once a month with a load of cash?

I have never had a problem with the DVLA and that applies to most of the population. An organisation so enormous that processes million of transactions every year will slip up occasionally. Are all its critics perfect themselves?

I found the DVLA to be efficient and helpful when I told them my van had been stolen and they quickly refunded my VED back to the date it was stolen.

Guest Had Enough
kelly58 - 2014-08-16 5:26 PM

I have heard that after 1st October if you sell a vehicle you have to surrender the RFL as if will no longer be legal to sell a vehicle and transfer the current RFL with it , making the buyer purchase a current RFL in their own name.

See my link in the second post post above yours.

dshague - 2014-08-17 7:11 PM

if you drive a road tax exempt vehicle disabled .some car parks let tax exempt park for free .at present the car park warden can look at disc ,when there are no discs what will happen . leve your logbook in view showing disabled .

I thought if you are disabled and had a disable sticker on car, you park for free any way. ??

In our village they have made lots of disabled parking places , of which most times 50% are empty, because they still park on double yellow lines, causing traffic problems

PJay

My wife is Disabled, she doesn't drive, so, our car is a 'registered' disabled use car, but without 'HER' badge showing the car is treated the same as everyone elses car, in other words when I am driving on my own, i cannot (and do not) put the badge up. Not every local authority allows the Disabled free parking, our own, Pembrokeshire does not, they just give you an extra hour on the end of your stay.

So, there should be no differance,the Blue badge should be enough, for the Odd occasion when we have to park on yellow lines.

The Motorhome we DO pay VED on, as it's a PHGV we pay £160. Ray

Archived