Disposal of grey waste on Public Highway

snowie

Guest pelmetman
rolandrat - 2014-08-17 10:06 AM

O.T.T. comes to mind. Aren't the biggest culprits the utilities companies. They are supposed to be regulated by the environment agency. You can't bathe in the sea at some seaside resorts because of systematic effluent discharging.

When it comes to the poisoning of water courses, it appears from what I've read that farmers are the worst culprits followed by industry :-|..................I doubt a campers grey water would make an iota of difference ;-)..............

There's a site (the only one) in Meschers-sur-Gironde which has been vetted and approved by A.C.S.I. that has only one cold water tap for drinking water and swilling cassettes out. You take your chance, the site owner just shrugs his shoulders if you point it out and walks away. I've mentioned it to A.C.S.I. and had a similar response, obviously totally acceptable in France.

It used to be a regular occurrence for utilities companies to spread sludge (as it's called) to land from sewerage works but regulations are changing and its now spun in horizontal centrifuges in many treatment works and then tipped on farm land as fertilizer. In other instances it is sintered at very high temperatures to form ash and then used for building blocks. Farmers still spread their own manure on the land. Usually spreading is carried out when the weather is dry so that the slurry doesn't enter the natural water courses.

rolandrat - 2014-08-17 11:41 AM

It used to be a regular occurrence for utilities companies to spread sludge (as it's called) to land from sewerage works but regulations are changing and its now spun in horizontal centrifuges in many treatment works and then tipped on farm land as fertilizer. In other instances it is sintered at very high temperatures to form ash and then used for building blocks. Farmers still spread their own manure on the land. Usually spreading is carried out when the weather is dry so that the slurry doesn't enter the natural water courses.[/quote

This Practise,far more than the odd wandering Badger are responsible for the spread of Bovine TB, to neighbouring Farms, One large Indoor Dairy Farm near me spreads effluent across half the farms in the County. AND I'ts usually pouring down with rain when they do it. (sorry, off subject, but as you can tell by my avatar, It's my subject). The caption for my Avatar is : Is it safe to come out yet ? NOOOO ! Ray

rolandrat - 2014-08-17 11:41 AM

Farmers still spread their own manure on the land. Usually spreading is carried out when the weather is dry so that the slurry doesn't enter the natural water courses.[/quote

This Practise,far more than the odd wandering Badger are responsible for the spread of Bovine TB, to neighbouring Farms, One large Indoor Dairy Farm near me spreads effluent across half the farms in the County. AND I'ts usually pouring down with rain when they do it. (sorry, off subject, but as you can tell by my avatar, It's my subject). The caption for my Avatar is : Is it safe to come out yet ? NOOOO ! Ray

Guest Peter James
Bulletguy - 2014-08-17 5:13 PM

Strewth.......reading some of the comments on here anyone would think the OP had asked about dropping a load of Nuclear waste. *-)

Thats why its best to dump it when no one's looking ;-)

Grey waste is nothing, but public opinion is everything.

I am NOT an advocate of dropping waste on the public highway, but, can someone explain precisely what legislation is being contravened when they say it is illegal? I know that it may constitute a hazard but to prove that would be difficult and costly and I suspect prosecuting authorities would just not do proceed. A lot of posters are very quick to point out something is illegal but rarely does anyone quote relevant statutes that actually say so. Refilling gas bottles is a case in point.

p0930 - 2014-08-18 2:46 AM

I am NOT an advocate of dropping waste on the public highway, but, can someone explain precisely what legislation is being contravened when they say it is illegal? I know that it may constitute a hazard but to prove that would be difficult and costly and I suspect prosecuting authorities would just not do proceed. A lot of posters are very quick to point out something is illegal but rarely does anyone quote relevant statutes that actually say so. Refilling gas bottles is a case in point.

I'm staggered none of the Forum "Lawyers" and "Environmentalists" have been along to admonish you for uttering such words! :D

It's basically about which drain.......this might explain better even though it's a bit vague; http://www.lanesfordrains.co.uk/advice/wastewater-connections/

You are indeed correct in saying "it would be difficult and costly and suspect the authorities would not bother". Scouring Google i cannot find one single case where a Motorhome owner has been prosecuted for dropping 'grey water' tank contents on a public highway.

My own grey water could even be drunk, if desperate, as long as you don't mind a tinge of 'flavour' from shampoo as that's all mine contains along with microscopic beard hair from a mornings shave!

p0930 - 2014-08-18 2:46 AM

I can't remember the precise Statute and the book is currently packed away inaccessibly but I used to have a copy of the Traffic Officer's Handbook (published annually and available in good bookshops, about £12) and that definitely said it was illegal - and cited the relevant law. Next time you are taken in town shopping by the OH, wander into a Warestones and see if they have a copy on the shelf.

Guest pelmetman
Ashpark - 2014-08-18 6:22 PM

We certainly wouldn't want greasy, soapy, dirty water going down our drains. So where should I take my car to wash it :-S

What you need is a nice big gravel drive ;-).......................Mines available for a small fee :D..............

Archived