Air assisted suspension

Sundowner

Hi folks, has anybody got any advice on the pros and cons between the Dunlop and Firestone products? I can't see much difference and in that case I might go for whatever the nearest fitter offers. I'm in South Oxfordshire. I look forward to your expert opinions! Thanks in advance!

I fitted Dunlop to my last van myself very easy to fit took me about 2 hours, very pleased with it our van was a totally different beast on bends and roundabouts. My new van I had the dealer fit it before we picked it up they fitted air ride and again a pleasure to drive.

John.

I believe a basic difference between the Dunlop and Firestone systems is that the Dunlop air-bellows units can be repaired (ie. taken apart and failed components replaced) whereas the Firestone units cannot.

This webpage may also be useful

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/-c-58.html?osCsid=c44f5b871020e3f82665b6d1797c2f60

Al-Ko also markets air-assistance systems for Al-Ko and non-Al-Ko chassis. This is the “Air Top” product

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/pages/air-top.html

Thanks for your advice, especially useful links from Derek. Dunlop seems to be the one to go for, I thought that the Marcleleisure web site was really useful, clearly giving all the info needed. I've also during my research discovered Timbren rubber suspension, which appeals because of it's simplicity and ease of fitting. However, most of the links seem to originate from USA.

Hi I have Alko air assist on my motorhome, it was factory fitted to raise weight from 3500kg to 4150kg. I have not found it to be of much use while driving but sometimes helps when leveling parked up. I have tried lots of different pressures ,but only way to get a slight improvement is to have somone to watch for when the pressure starts to lift the back of the van and tells you to stop inflating. Any higher pressure just lifts the van and gives more body roll when cornering.The main problem is that the location of the rear springs, therfore the pivot point ,on an A class is 18 inches from the outside of the body

regards David

davidmac - 2014-08-17 11:49 AM

Hi I have Alko air assist on my motorhome, it was factory fitted to raise weight from 3500kg to 4150kg. I have not found it to be of much use while driving but sometimes helps when leveling parked up. I have tried lots of different pressures ,but only way to get a slight improvement is to have somone to watch for when the pressure starts to lift the back of the van and tells you to stop inflating. Any higher pressure just lifts the van and gives more body roll when cornering.The main problem is that the location of the rear springs, therfore the pivot point ,on an A class is 18 inches from the outside of the body

regards David

David, I'm guessing that the system you have may supply both the n/s and the o/s bellows from a single inflation point or on-board compressor. This has the disadvantage that air can be displaced from one side to the other as the vehicle rolls, so failing to resist roll.

If roll is a problem I'd suggest you get the two sides separated via a manual changeover valve, to allow each side to be inflated separately, but also to prevent air from being displaced from side to side. This allows the air bellows to double as a "soft" anti roll bar and, in my experience, substantially dampens roll.

Regarding the "right" pressure to use, you may find this works. First, empty the van completely, then, with the van standing reasonably level, measure and note the height above ground of the rear bumper. Next, when the van is fully loaded in full touring trim (with full water etc on board) inflate the bellows a little at a time, matching the pressures left and right, until the rear rises to the same height as when empty. With the two bellows separated as above, it is also possible to measure at each rear corner when empty, and then by experimantation to re-set each side to slightly different pressures to compentate for differences in left to right loading (for example a water tank on one side). The air volume of the bellows is not great, and I found a few strokes from a bicycle pump was all that was ever needed to top up before each trip. Personally, I'd remove any elecrtical compressor, separate the two bellows completely, and install one simple manual inflation point on each side of the van. KISS principle! :-)

Hi each side is independent of the other with fillers and gauges mounted on the engine bulkhead just above the cab floor. As I say when loaded and ready to go I pump up each side till the rear starts to rise indicating that the bellows are starting to take some of the weight. As one side has a slight leak it neads adjusting every couple of days but if I forget to or don't bother it makes little difference to the ride

Regards David

Then I'd suggest you try the method I outlined, as I suspect the pressures are too low. Inflating when fully loaded until the van is just beginning to rise sounds insufficient to me, but it will depend on how much the rear settles as it is loaded. Its worth a try, to see if it improves matters.

Archived