Class 3 MH French Toll With TAG

Wasnt Me

Hi I returend recentally from a trip to France where we used some Autoroutes/Toll roads.

We had borrowed a Sanef TAG from my Dad that he used.

Whilst away I read a letter in one of the Magazines and it stated that a Tag could not be used on class 3 vehicles, which ours is, just.

I remember reading a thread recentally about how you could sometimes get the cheaper price if you used a kiosk that was staffed. Which some posters quite rightly had a problem with as it was dishonest etc.

After getting the bill through, my advice for those wishing to pay the correct class 3 tolls for their vehicle is.

Do not use a TAG as you automatically get charged for a class 2 :-D

I am now wondering who I need to contact to pay the money I owe?? :-D

Guest Had Enough

As you're probably aware what you did is against the rules of owning a SANEF tag and you may well jeopardise your father's contract as technically you've committed fraud.

Class 3 vehicles do not presently qualify for a tag although SANEF is currently working on making it available for larger non-commercial vehicles. This is made very clear when you join.

When your father applied for the tag he would have had to tell them what vehicle it was for. I've no doubt that, on some older pay stations, you could get a large lorry through using a standard tag but again, you'd probably be sued for fraud if you were caught, which you would be eventually.

The SANEF tag is brilliant. I love being able to avoid the queues and sail straight through the tag-only lanes, in most cases without stopping. No fiddling with credit cards or waiting ages as some Brit can't get it to work. It must be a Godsend for single drivers of right-hand drive vehicles.

For the benefit of those who don't know about it the toll charges are the same and there's a five euro charge for each calendar month that you use it. Your bank account is debited at the end of the following month in which you use it.

When we go home later this month we'll end up doing one day's driving on September 1st so I'll stick my tag in the glove box for that day and pay tolls in the normal way as it seems silly to pay the monthly fee if you're only using it for one day of that month.

Interersting info.

I was completely unaware of the rules when I borrowed the Tag and completely expected to be charged as class 3 and would happily pay it if required

My vehicle is showing as 3500kg on the Registration documentation and 3850kg on the chassis plate fitted by Trigano.Our height is 3.04 metres also, so only just over the 3 metres.

It may have assumed that we were within class 2.

We did not always use the standard gates and sometimes used the larger vehicle ones.

I must admit the Tag was brilliant and saved us time and messign around with cash/cards.

If they do allow one for class 3 I may get myself one.

Wasn't Me - 2014-08-15 3:14 PM

Interersting info.

I was completely unaware of the rules when I borrowed the Tag and completely expected to be charged as class 3 and would happily pay it if required

My vehicle is showing as 3500kg on the Registration documentation and 3850kg on the chassis plate fitted by Trigano.Our height is 3.04 metres also, so only just over the 3 metres.

We did not always use the standard gates and sometimes used the larger vehicle ones.

I must admit the Tag was brilliant and saved us time and messign around with cash/cards.

For a start you need to sort your vehicle weight out. If it is 3850kg and is showing 3500kg on the log book you are paying to much road tax. If it has been downgraded to 3500 I would use the tag as class two, your height is only a touch over the 3mtrs and doubt it would show on the auto tolls. We have used one for years on various vans, all at 3500kg and just on the 3mtr height, no problem. You do not have to tell them what vehicle it is for as they are completely transferable provided you are in the correct class, we use ours on a car and the van, in fact Sanef will send you two fixing brackets when they send your tag,.

Guest Had Enough
rupert123 - 2014-08-15 4:55 PM

You do not have to tell them what vehicle it is for as they are completely transferable provided you are in the correct class, we use ours on a car and the van, in fact Sanef will send you two fixing brackets when they send your tag,.

Not strictly true. On the application page at the top it says this: Also you have a Class 1 or Class 2 vehicle (under 3m in height and less than 3.5t in weight).

So by applying for the tag you are stating that you have a Class 1 or Class 2 vehicle. If you then transfer it to a Class three vehicle you are committing fraud as you'll only be charged for a Class 2.

Admittedly, you don't need to tell them what vehicle it is but it's implicit that it is in the correct classes.

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/subscription

Guest pelmetman
Wasn't Me - 2014-08-15 2:02 PM

I am now wondering who I need to contact to pay the money I owe?? :-D

I'll PM you my bank details ;-).............

Guest Had Enough
Billggski - 2014-08-15 8:13 PM

Interesting point, if you press the help button you will always be given class 2, so what's the problem with using a tag and doing the same?

It's only really big rigs that the french put into clas 3.

That's not the experience of many people on here who have large motorhomes. Apart from which the conditions clearly state that you must have a Class 1 or Class 2 vehicle.

Where do you draw the line, a slightly larger Class 3 or a huge Winnebago?

As with eu regulations, the French, and many other countries, take a relaxed view of interpretation. Class 2 is meant to include motorhomes and if a few are a bit over they don't bother.

A top judge pointed out this week that we British stick strictly to the rules when the sensible approach, adopted generally in Europe, would be to take the intention of the rule on board and then decide what to do.

Something to do with our upbringing I think and why we get upset about eu rulings.

Had Enough - 2014-08-15 6:20 PM

You do not have to tell them what vehicle it is for as they are completely transferable provided you are in the correct class, we use ours on a car and the van, in fact Sanef will send you two fixing brackets when they send your tag,.

Not strictly true. On the application page at the top it says this: Also you have a Class 1 or Class 2 vehicle (under 3m in height and less than 3.5t in weight).

So by applying for the tag you are stating that you have a Class 1 or Class 2 vehicle. If you then transfer it to a Class three vehicle you are committing fraud as you'll only be charged for a Class 2.

Admittedly, you don't need to tell them what vehicle it is but it's implicit that it is in the correct classes.

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/subscription

I did say 'providing it is in the correct class' so what is not true about it?

Wasn't Me - 2014-08-15 3:14 PM

Interersting info.

When you say sort out my weight I am not sure what you recommend?

My log says 3500, chassis sticker put on by ford says 3500 also.

Riveted chassis plate under bonnet says 3850kg.

Had it weighed before going to France and we were at 3750kg minus wife and kids.

At 3500kg the payload is not workable.

Does this mean the convertor/importer did not inform the DVLA, is this a problem? what is the likelihood of getting in to trouble?

I have the correct licence to drive up to 7500kg.

For a start you need to sort your vehicle weight out. If it is 3850kg and is showing 3500kg on the log book you are paying to much road tax. If it has been downgraded to 3500 I would use the tag as class two, your height is only a touch over the 3mtrs and doubt it would show on the auto tolls. We have used one for years on various vans, all at 3500kg and just on the 3mtr height, no problem. You do not have to tell them what vehicle it is for as they are completely transferable provided you are in the correct class, we use ours on a car and the van, in fact Sanef will send you two fixing brackets when they send your tag,.

Not sure what went wrong there?

This was my reply to Rupert

When you say sort out my weight I am not sure what you recommend? 

My log says 3500, chassis sticker put on by ford says 3500 also.

Riveted chassis plate under bonnet says 3850kg. 

Had it weighed before going to France and we were at 3750kg minus wife and kids. 

At 3500kg the payload is not workable. 

Does this mean the convertor/importer did not inform the DVLA, is this a problem? what is the likelihood of getting in to trouble? I have the correct licence to drive up to 7500kg.

Archived