Am I missing something?

Billggski

Just looking to buy a spare thetford cassette as when six blokes were in the MH it filled up quickly.

Now I can buy a new one with a spare.toilet seat, and blue and red liquids for about £80.

However second hand ones seem to be about £60 on eBay, I'll repeat that, second hand containers that have been used for other peoples "waste".

Am I missing something?

Guest pelmetman
Billggski - 2014-08-15 8:55 PM

Just looking to buy a spare thetford cassette as when six blokes were in the MH it filled up quickly.

Now I can buy a new one with a spare.toilet seat, and blue and red liquids for about £80.

However second hand ones seem to be about £60 on eBay, I'll repeat that, second hand containers that have been used for other peoples "waste".

Am I missing something?

Maybe they're still full of quality sh*t ;-)...............ingenious folk these drug merchants :D.........

Since Thetford began to market “Fresh Up” kits some years ago, it’s always been the case that the list-price of those kits has significantly undercut the list-price of the equivalent toilet-cassette alone. For example

http://www.bradtech.ltd.uk/products/Thetford_Cassette_C200_Holding_Tank_Parts.html

So, even if one chucked away the spare seat and toilet chemicals (or offered them on e-bay!) obtaining a new cassette by buying a Fresh Up kit will normally make better financial sense than buying a new cassette on its own.

I notice that not all ebay-advertised Thetford cassettes are offered at an unrealistic price

http://tinyurl.com/ph5g4v8

so it’s evidently possible to make substantial savings over the Fresh Up kit approach by taking the secondhand route.

Guest JudgeMental
Muswell - 2014-08-16 9:24 AM

You're getting bogged down in detail :-D

Indeed........

Real men pee in a plastic container. Don't use flush, fill a spray bottle with water and use that. this way the cassette lasts easily 2/3 times longer without needing emptying. Moi adopts these principals when on long haul drives, and with the use of public toilets (yes Europe still has them!) it works. have driven to Spain without using cassette at all before now, without needing to pee in a bush either.......

Buying a second toilet cassette seems to have the magical effect of making it unnecessary to empty the first one with any urgency. We bought one of these bargain "refresher" kits quite a few years ago and always carry the second cassette on board. I can only recall ever switching to the second casette twice.

But they are light and worth carrying, none the less. It has proved completely impractical to train the OH to pee into bottles r hedgerows. ;-)

Another method is to purchase a cassette bidet http://www.camperlands.co.uk/fiamma-bidet-for-chemical-toilets.html (Fiamma have two models one to it series 2, 3 or 4 and the other to fit the 200 series with swivelling bowl, these are available elsewhere as well as above) and a nappy bucket with a close fitting lid.

That way both of you can avoid to much pee going into the cassette. We can make a cassette last between 7 and 10 days using this method. The smell comes from the pee not the other.

Diluted with some grey water the bucket contents makes good feed for hedges. It could also be emptied in public toilets.

......second hand containers that have been used for other peoples "waste".

Am I missing something?

It does sound a bit grim, but its what we all do when we buy a secondhand motorhome that comes with a cassette ;-) .

neilmac - 2014-08-16 3:36 PM

......second hand containers that have been used for other peoples "waste".

Am I missing something?

It does sound a bit grim, but its what we all do when we buy a secondhand motorhome that comes with a cassette ;-) .

Bill I hope you didn't miss that would get you in trouble

Well I tend to pee and poo in it. Its not as though you are using it for water to make drinks. Its the same as public toilets or do you not use them? :D

As toilet cassettes are quite bulky I would have thought that caravan breakers would be reasonably keen not to keep too many secondhand ones on their shelves and would be amenable to haggling over the price.

£50 is being suggested here

http://www.caravanbreakers.net/www.caravanbreakers.net/info.php?p=10&cat=200033

but I expect one could face-to-face negotiate a much cheaper price than that.

Archived