Explanation please on the word .........

Lizzy

Lizzy As on a caravan they are sometimes misused, as a jack, to level the van. Its is one of the joys of motorhoming to people watch when on a site siting and pirching of caravans is an endless source of amusement to many of us.The precision required to pitch a caravan where one degree out of level will result in the soup spilling over the edge of the plate echoes that of master builder erecting a wall. The lowering of the steadies once the van is level then the extra turn on each steady "just to make sure" leabve my wife and I in tears- so much so that the kettle has to go on once again to stop me laughing out loud. Docted

[QUOTE]Mel E - 2006-09-19 5:01 PM Docted, Don't you 'pirch' your motorhome then?[/QUOTE]I think what is meant Mel is that its a lot easier to manoeuvre a motorhome when parking up on site. The main benifit of steadies is where suspension and overhang come in to play. They take away that bounce when moving about in the rear. Howard.

[QUOTE]Lizzy - 2006-09-20 8:30 AM So - spirit level required? Also - what are the yellow thingies I see under the back wheels - to stop 'vans getting stuck in the mud I suppose too that these are all 'optional' extras ? ;-)[/QUOTE] Lizzy, A small spirit level placed on the table or kitchen work surface, is useful as a guide to getting the van level with the aid of the 'yellow thingies' (which I assume are levelling ramps). Some 'vans have a distinct nose down attitude so need to use levelling ramps on the front wheels quite frequently. I think the easiest to use are the ones made by Fiamma that have three levels for the wheels to rest on (cost approx. £15 for a pair). The degree of levelling is a matter of taste - I am happy if the glass doesn't slide off the table and my feet are not higher than my head when I lie down on the bed. The 'fridge also needs to be fairly level to work efficiently. We had steadies fitted on our last 'van but never used them. ;-)

If you travel on your own the best levellers are the adjustable ones in black plastic now imported/marketed by Melenco. Different heights can be set by pulling a handle. I first saw them at the Dusseldorf Show two years ago. They have a hollow formed in them and you can feel when the wheels drop into this when driving up the ramp. Ideal for the lone traveller. Saves going over the end! £28 in Germany and about £50 over here. Much stronger than the Fiaama one.

The set I use are the large adjustable ones (shown bottom right on the web site) and these have two small mesh mats (shown top left on the web site) which hook onto the wedge. The tyre runs onto these first and the idea is that they prevent the wedge from slipping away in front of the tyre. After two years of use the mash mats have not been used. The wedge design grips both the ground and the tyre when travelling up the slope. As I said earlier this system is ideal for the lone traveller.

Archived