step alarm has stopped working

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental
It appears I may have driven back from Hans sur lesse the other day on last leg of our return from Italia with my step open *-) The step alarm has ceased to exist e.g. stopped sounding...Any ideas please on how to rectify this would be appreciated. the Adria had an automatic closer if you forgot to retract it..the Possl just has the alarm and you have to press the button manually......

May not be of use as we had problem on a Swift van. Our step was wired into fridge relay circuit and when the fridge relay went o/c the step also stopped working. Although after replacing the relay, which had burnt out, also our buzzer had gone. I ordered a cheap one off ebay £2 and soldered it in. Worked a treat. Hope yours is the same. Our fridge relay was under bonnet with split charge relay and fuses.

Our buzzer and step relay was on top of the fridge. Is fridge working on 12V if it is it could be the step relay, hopefully near buzzer.

Best of luck.

Colin

JudgeMental - 2014-08-18 12:48 PM

It appears I may have driven back from Hans sur lesse the other day on last leg of our return from Italia with my step open *-) The step alarm has ceased to exist e.g. stopped sounding...Any ideas please on how to rectify this would be appreciated. the Adria had an automatic closer if you forgot to retract it..the Possl just has the alarm and you have to press the button manually......

You mean to say that a super duper Possl isn't wired into the ignition switch for auto retraction? You're lucky you didn't bend it on a kerb or similar.

My current Hymer is the same as yours, manual! but no warning buzzer, cheap skates these Germans!

We've driven off loads of times with the step out and always got away with it, sometimes by a whisker. After the IH which was auto it was not difficult for me to forget!

As said its a plunger type switch that gets full of crud and dies.

Guest JudgeMental
The adria had auto retract as said...but this just the alarm and electric retract. will have a look around step area for a sensor when it stops raining..... I can assure you the Possl is superior in almost every area from the Adria, apart from lighting and this bloomin step :D

Morning folks,

As you know Judge I have the globecar which has the buzzer as against the auto retraction on our previous adria, indeed i am thinking about getting it wired into the ignition if I could only find an electrician that knew what he is doing.

By the way I have been asked by the supplying dealer to take it into a fiat dealer to get the turbo checked for a faulty valve, presumably the turbo wastegate valve though it is not on the fiat recall site.

norm

starvin marvin - 2014-08-18 5:25 PM

My current Hymer is the same as yours, manual! but no warning buzzer, cheap skates these Germans!

We've driven off loads of times with the step out and always got away with it, sometimes by a whisker. After the IH which was auto it was not difficult for me to forget!

Are you sure you haven't got a fault I thought all Hymers had the buzzer? Mine has.

lennyhb - 2014-08-19 11:05 AM

starvin marvin - 2014-08-18 5:25 PM

Are you sure you haven't got a fault I thought all Hymers had the buzzer? Mine has.

Mind's a lot older than yours, but hey ho I've just sold it, with or without a buzzer!

...I see from another forum (;-))that you are still struggling with this, and querying the location of the switch.

Said switch will be in function rather like a door courtesy light switch, depressing it breaking the (step alarm) circuit (which in itself will only be live with the engine running). Crud often gathers in these switches and prevents it closing as the step is subsequently extended. If there is no obvious fuse issue, then the internal step switch is a good suspect.

It will be a simple "plunger" switch, which will be depressed when the step platform is fully retracted - hence, it will be probably pushed either by the rear of the step platform, or by one of the motor actuating arms at a certain point in the closure.

It is likely that the body of the switch is internal to the step, so to check and clean you may have to remove the bottom plate.

A quick check of the wiring entering the step unit may give you a clue as to its exact location, but remember the motor wiring goes in there as well.

If it is the switch it is usually very easy to remedy, but will probably happen again.

• 1 month later...
Get some WD40 out and drown the switch. Work it lots to get it moving and any grit will get flushed out. Dry it out and liberally coat in a silicone spray to maintain it. Check the wires are still attached on the switch and are in good condition. Steps need regular maintenance.

Guest JudgeMental

forgot about this...

Step works fine its just the alarm. I have been pointed in the direction of the back of charger under LHD drivers seat...think I know how to get cover off now. it may well be here as a wired in some extra 230v sockets under table so may of disturbed something. I did manage to unplug main input at the time as well :-S

Archived