wi-fi booster for motorhome on site

John 2339

Guest Had Enough

What devices are you using? Simplest option is an external usb aerial for a laptop. Then, using Connectify, you can create a wi-fi zone and use or update your tablet and smartphone.

If you don't have a laptop you'll need the same kind of external aerial but you then buy a separate router to create a wi-fi zone from the signal picked up by the external aerial. This is the only way to connect tablets and smartphones.

http://www.connectify.me/

http://www.faculty-x.net/homeplug-blog/?cat=12

I use this from Faculty X and it's excellent.

http://www.faculty-x.net/motorhome%20omni%20directional%20kit.htm

Currently on a site in Annecy. Most people are huddled round the reception but I'm getting the signal from sixty yards away.

The same kit seems to be on eBay for different prices, the package needed seems to be an aerial with a USB cable for a laptop, or an aerial plus router for an iPad. The prices for the latter, mainly Solwise products seem to range from £200 to about £120.

Are they all the same?

Guest Had Enough
Billggski - 2014-08-18 9:32 PM

The same kit seems to be on eBay for different prices, the package needed seems to be an aerial with a USB cable for a laptop, or an aerial plus router for an iPad. The prices for the latter, mainly Solwise products seem to range from £200 to about £120.

Are they all the same?

Many probably are. The omni-directional aerial that I use plus the router are a total of £106 from Faculty X.

However, these routers need a rather complex set up every time you move, which is why a usb aerial into a laptop is the simplest method. If you still want to create a wi-fi zone for other devices Connectify is very good and only a tenner at present.

If you have a laptop my advice is to take it. There's no space problem in a camper for a laptop and it's much easier to use than fiddling around on smaller devices.

I bought a Rocket which is one of these; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rocket-Antenna-USB-External-WiFi-Booster-Range-Extender-Motorhome-Caravan-Boat-/331285302259?pt=UK_Computing_Boosters_Extenders_Antennas&hash=item4d22248bf3

For some obscure reason found once i'd installed the software i couldn't switch between the antenna and using the laptops own without removing the software each time. Does work, but nothing to get excited about so wasn't too impressed.

I've seen other folk 'rave' about these; http://www.amazon.co.uk/2200mW-Booster-Antenna-802-11n-STRONG/dp/B0034FAS0K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408448048&sr=8-1&keywords=turbotenna

At £62 it's more than double the price of a Rocket. Whether it's capable of pulling in more than double that of the Rocket would be interesting to see. Technically it should be better as it's directional (same as what your television aerials on your house are), as opposed to the Rocket which is omni-directional.

You can end up spending (wasting?) a fair amount of money on these gadgets and you have to ask yourself how much are you prepared to chuck at it. If going on Campsites, much is down to just how 'tech savvy' the site owner is whether you receive a signal or not. Many simply don't bother but i have stayed at some where the owner went to great lengths (and expense!) installing repeater booster antennas resulting in full signal throughout the site ground. I could work on my laptop by my van using just the laptop internal antenna.

I have the Yagi booster antenna that you linked to and find it very good as I can pick up signals several 100m away which are not that strong but I can connect. With BT so numerous available and also Fon when in France.

As a dabbler I sourced a web site for the Yagi aerial and made one from a balsa strip and copper wire. The dongle is a simple USB WiFi booster. Sometimes I think it works better than the commercial unit and all in it would be lucky if it cost me more than £10.

Guest Had Enough
Bulletguy - 2014-08-19 1:01 PM

If going on Campsites, much is down to just how 'tech savvy' the site owner is whether you receive a signal or not. Many simply don't bother but i have stayed at some where the owner went to great lengths (and expense!) installing repeater booster antennas resulting in full signal throughout the site ground. I could work on my laptop by my van using just the laptop internal antenna.

It's very little to do with how 'savvy' the campsite owner is but, as you say, more about how much they're prepared to invest. Many small sites appear to have nothing more than a typical home router on an ordinary phone line. You can only get a signal a few yards from reception and it grinds to a halt if too many people try to get on line.

Those with repeaters all over the site have had to install power lines to run them but more importantly they'll have a proper data transmission line capable of handling much greater bandwidth.

It's a big investment in installation costs, running costs and maintenance, which is why many sites with such sophisticated systems charge for wi-fi. Matters are made worse by the fact that they can only recoup their investment over a few weeks of the year.

sshortcircuit - 2014-08-19 1:44 PM

I have the Yagi booster antenna that you linked to and find it very good as I can pick up signals several 100m away which are not that strong but I can connect. With BT so numerous available and also Fon when in France.

As a dabbler I sourced a web site for the Yagi aerial and made one from a balsa strip and copper wire.The dongle is a simple USB WiFi booster. Sometimes I think it works better than the commercial unit and all in it would be lucky if it cost me more than £10.

Ever thought of sharing the 'techie' info out?

I can believe it re.the cost as i made my own end-fed longwire antenna for HF at home from braided copper wire. The only costs involved were a couple of insulators at each end. Before erecting i soaked the wire in Waxoyl......and it's still standing 20 years later!

Had Enough - 2014-08-19 1:48 PM

It's very little to do with how 'savvy' the campsite owner is but, as you say, more about how much they're prepared to invest. Many small sites appear to have nothing more than a typical home router on an ordinary phone line. You can only get a signal a few yards from reception and it grinds to a halt if too many people try to get on line.

Those with repeaters all over the site have had to install power lines to run them but more importantly they'll have a proper data transmission line capable of handling much greater bandwidth.

It's a big investment in installation costs, running costs and maintenance, which is why many sites with such sophisticated systems charge for wi-fi. Matters are made worse by the fact that they can only recoup their investment over a few weeks of the year.

BIB is really the point i was making. They either don't know......or if they do, don't care and won't bother.

One site i stayed on in Romania was exceptional. The owner had installed four repeaters and full signal strength was available everywhere. Site fees were 'peanut money' and he made no charge for WiFi use which was 24/7.

Guest Had Enough
sshortcircuit - 2014-08-20 2:00 PM

For those who can potter

I did not search to much but this is what you need for the booster or similar

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300Mbps-Pro-Wireless-USB-WiFi-Network-Card-LAN-Adapter-Dongle-Laptop-PC-Antenna-/221217691654?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item33819a1806

Easy to make Yagi

http://www.ab9il.net/wlan-projects/wifi6.html

I carry one of these as well as they're so cheap and use it if there's a strong signal from a nearby source, but it's not a patch on my external aerial that I bought from Faculty X. But it is easier and saves clamping the external aerial on the side of the 'van and running a cable to the laptop.

Anyone with a laptop should buy something like this first as it costs peanuts and it can make a big difference to the signal strength. The main problem is that your aerial is still inside the motorhome, which can be one big Faraday cage. Using the laptop outside the 'van helps if the weather's suitable.

I was using the Rocket with the Solwise wifi router, as said the router can be a pain in the bum and a right fiddle to get connected.

Recently brought one of these so cheap I thought I would give it a try. It works far better than expected really does pull in long range signals and it's fully sealed for outdoor use. Only downside is I have only been able to use it with the router, not been able to get it to install on a PC all the info in the install windows are in Chinese when I find a bit more time I'm sure I'll manage it.

lennyhb - 2014-08-21 8:19 AM

Yes, it is, be prepared for a lot frustration getting working, when it does work it works well.

Good, I have had the same one for a couple of years now and yes they can be footery but if you work at it they are excellent. The reason I asked is that only specific dongles are recognised by the router as chip set vary but if it sees the aerial all is well.

An advantage of this router is that some sites only allow you to connect to one device. The router is counted as the one device and you can then connect as many devices as you like to the router, for family and grandkids all to connect.

Thanks again

Guest JudgeMental
lennyhb - 2014-08-21 8:19 AM

Yes, it is, be prepared for a lot frustration getting working, when it does work it works well.

I had real problems getting my facultyX model working, support was pretty poor and I'm far from tecchy....eventually got it to work and happy enough with it, just put it through roof light when in use. It's an earlier model and not very robust but does the job....

Given some of the comments/experiences on the thread you have to wonder if it's all really worthwhile? I suppose if sitting on a site for weeks on end without moving, maybe it is, but you can waste quite a lot of money simply 'experimenting'. I can cope without the internet for a few days and if really necessary, there is often a McDonalds just a drive away.

What does annoy me though is when a site claims to operate wifi throughout when in fact what they really mean is if you are parked up 6ft away from Reception. Once you've been on some where they are fully geared up, you tend to expect it everywhere.

Considering how long wifi has now been in use it's surprising there are still many sites around which don't have it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Had Enough
BrianBW - 2014-09-05 9:47 PM

Very interesting guys, as a radio amateur, but, how the heck is it connected to a laptop. I have USB ports that's it.

If you have a laptop all you need is a usb external aerial, several of which are available from a few pounds.

If you see my post, the second one in this thread, it gives an example of a very good one.

Made myself one of these ;

http://www.instructables.com/id/Uni-Directional-WIFI-Range-Extender/

(takes a little while to load)

Local cookshop had the steamer, and used a USB Wifi adaptor, the only thng I changed was the USB lead which I used and active USB lead. ( The usb lead has what could be loosely called an ampilifier in the socket end.

Surprised me how good it is, and you can focus the beam by moving the leaves of the colander.

Rgds

Archived