Could i be going over to the other side?? Oooer!

Pampam

Ive found myself just lately looking at old caravans ,of the vintage variety ,and actually wanting one yes sitting up till late at night going over ebay looking at safari's cheltenhams,sterling,castletons,chatsworths, and im loving it they are so nostalgic ,and i never went caravaning as a child ,have found some vintage caravan internet sites,am i going insane lol ? Am really interested ! How the hell has it happened? I loved my super modern motorhome how can i be falling for the charm of these ancient vessels pp:))

Guest pelmetman

There does seem to be a increase in old caravans being tarted up with twee fabrics and bunting :D...............

If old Horace snuffed it 8-)...............I'd quite fancy a unmolested Carlight with a nice pre 1974 Rover Coupe or Jag to tow it, with an LPG conversion the outfit would be depreciation & tax free ;-).................What's not to like B-)............

Go for it Pam!

What the old caravans lack in modernity they more than make for in solidity and simplicity - both keys to low cost ownership and longevity.

As long as you get a really good solid well cared for example, and that must be the priority.

I seem to recall these older vans are quite heavy so do ensure your car can safely tow a fully laden caravan?

Every time an Eriba parks next to us, or I spot a T@b on a site I really do wonder about learning to reverse a caravan. Now if I could get my hands on either one in a good exterior condition, I'd consider having it gutted and have a refit done,

Maybe the next project?

regards

alan b

I would certainly chose a caravan over a motorhome for the way we travel, but for some reason CG will not countenance it. We seldom use aires or France Passion, we never wild camp, and all too often we book into a large site and hire a car to get around in.

We did go back to a caravan a couple of years ago, a super Adria which we towed behind a top of the range Audi 6, it was a superb, quiet and sophisticated way to travel with cruise control, climate control, with leather heated electrically adjusted seats and it used less fuel, and the Bose sound system is fantastic, but we only used it once and she insisted that we go back to a motorhome. I find the van no easier to drive overall, and we tend to travel at about the same speed most of the time. Coincidentally, the best time we ever made from our favourite site in the Ardeche to Calais, was in our bog standard Ford Galaxy towing a 7 metre Swift Conquerer, completing the journey in 12 hours. We've never got near that in any of our motorhomes .

I think that in CG's case it may be a form of snobbery, and I can't imagine that she is the only one. Maybe you do find a better class of person driving a converted parcel van, and paying a ridiculous amount of money for the privilege, but I thought that we encountered some really nice, helpful people in our caravan days, and had some great holidays in lovely places.

My advice is to go for it, if it suits you that's brilliant, if not you won't lose much and you can always go back to bouncing around in a converted parcel van.

AGD

Pampam - 2014-08-18 8:47 PM

Ive found myself just lately looking at old caravans ,of the vintage variety ,and actually wanting one yes sitting up till late at night going over ebay looking at safari's cheltenhams,sterling,castletons,chatsworths, and im loving it they are so nostalgic ,and i never went caravaning as a child ,have found some vintage caravan internet sites,am i going insane lol ? Am really interested ! How the hell has it happened? I loved my super modern motorhome how can i be falling for the charm of these ancient vessels pp:))

I'm already there so could use the company 1989 Avondale Wren towed by 2001 Ford Cougar V6 2.5 Ltr. Dave I only paid £1,100 for the Wren and £650. For the ford. I get about 22 mpg from the outfit at 60mph my old 2.5 Ltr Eldiss only managed the same at 50 - 55mph so even petrol against diesel there is little difference exept going uphill in Devon and Dorset I just knock it into 3rd and keep the same speed with the motorhome it was downshift rapidly and creep up the 12% hills at 20mph foot to the floor. Mind you I'm now the entertainment with the awning where I only used to watch and smile and it was so easy just put the plug in and you're ready for a brew. My reversing with the caravan is a sight to behold but I will get there in the end a 30 point about turn in a farm lane after believing Sally sat nav. tasted my sense of humour to the limit what with 2 Basset hounds giving vocal criticism still a least I'm still out and about. John (lol) 8-)

Pelmetman i really like that carlight ,its a shame there are no interior pics what a fancy sun shade its got , and a motormover :but i keep being drawn to ""glass"" windows ,and gas lights (but no bunting or shabby chic for me ) even a bit of wilton carpet and moquette seating ,one make even had two doors ! Ive got to be cautious and not rush it like i did with first motorhome :.... I can be a bit impetuous ,and have learnt some expensive lessons ,so will take my time(last time i said that i was paying for a new motorhome twenty minuets later lol) still miss the motorhome like mad but perhaps i could give a good home to an old caravan until we have more free time and can return to motorhoming : have purchased a transit swb but need to get a towbar on it when ive done that the finger will be hovering over the buy it now button like a wasp on a dustbin lol pp:)

Being an ex caravanner, having owned several of that vintage, the only thing you need to watch out for is they weigh far more than a modern van size for size so bear that in mind! Oh yes and forgot about the single glazed windows, glass or plastic, though the one in the advert is probably double glazed at that year of refurbishment! Wonderful vans in their day.

Bas

Aaah i love em ! But the auld fella wouldnt let me have one , i like the old hymers very much too , like they say" theres many a good tune played on an old fiddle " ive just managed to convince him an old caravan would be good but ive got no chance with the old autotrail (and its not for want of trying let me tell you) lol :) although he quite likes the old hymers himself ... I think we will have to wait for a new motorhome till we pack work in . And ive found out today ill be finishing in 2018 but will have to wait until 2022 for my pension (so will probably have to look for another job). And when i do ill make sure im not dealing with the bleddy public lol

Guest pelmetman
Pampam - 2014-08-23 10:22 PM

Aaah i love em ! But the auld fella wouldnt let me have one , i like the old hymers very much too , like they say" theres many a good tune played on an old fiddle " ive just managed to convince him an old caravan would be good but ive got no chance with the old autotrail (and its not for want of trying let me tell you) lol :) although he quite likes the old hymers himself ... I think we will have to wait for a new motorhome till we pack work in . And ive found out today ill be finishing in 2018 but will have to wait until 2022 for my pension (so will probably have to look for another job). And when i do ill make sure im not dealing with the bleddy public lol

2018 then 2022.......? .............confused of Lincolnshire here :-S.............pray explain?.........although ditto the public bit :D.........gave up on them nigh on 20 years ago *-).............

Pelmatman :- My boss will be retiring in 2018 ,so will be unemployed ,but i shall not be eligable for any pension until 2022 when i will be 66 so will have to look for some other employment until then : teflon 2 i will look up your caravan : and george collings we were up at the crack of dawn this morning to go to a local carboot (in lincolnshire) we were selling all the accumulated "stuff"where there was a number of more mature motorhomes and one was the same as the autotrail you pictured i pointed it out to hubby and next to a real old battered autocirrus (i mean terribley knackered) the autotrail looked pretty good ,.... You men are so eazzee to land arent you? Next thing you know he'll be looking on ebay trying to convince me we need a new van lol :- slowly slowly catchee monkey ! Pp :) mind you i have been working on him all year since we sold arapaho in january

Archived