Google Chromecast for £20

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks for that.

Now down to £18 at Currys and Tesco, so having followed your links, I bought one yesterday and gave it a whirl in the house. Works really well with excellent quality streaming, controlled from our Android phones.

So good, especially at the price, I have just ordered a second one for an upstairs TV.

Thanks again, Nobby

Guest JudgeMental
Your welcome Nobby, glad someone found it of use.......Mine hopefully in the post, a cracking device for the money if it does what it says it does :-D

As I understand it, you will get an adaptive stream through the Chromecast based upon the quality of your connection.

With the right connection and input, the Chromecast will deliver 1080p video, Dolby Digital and 5.1 sound.

I have used mine with Netflix and get a full 1080p HD delivery of significantly better viewing quality than an SD TV transmission. Good quality YouTube videos can also be viewed with pleasure.

This is an excellent device, especially at the price and delivers better than adequate performance so long as it receives better than adequate original digital source material at the right speed.

I would defer to the previous poster on one point though and that relates to how the device will resolve high speed movement (sport?) and in this respect it does lag behind a full HD TV transmission with slight blur similar to that of a SD TV transmission on an LCD screen.

Potential buyers can spend their £18 with confidence but should be aware of the inevitable limitations of poor bandwidth or a source that would be automatically adapted to suit your connection.

Campsite WiFi is therefore unlikely, in most instances, to cut the mustard in providing high quality viewing.

Nobby

Archived