Possible gas attacks?

Tracker

rupert123 - 2014-08-24 6:25 PM..................I do indeed have a bit but do not recall ever responding in a really insulting way, I did call you pedantic once does that count. Are you saying you are happy with the way Eddie responds, if so you disappoint. I have never had a problem with domineering disagreement or any other type but complain I will if people go to far.

No Henry, I certainly wasn't seeking to imply you resort to insults, and I don't count being called a pedant an insult. I'm proud to be a pedant, there aren't enough of us! :-)

I have responded to others when I think they go too far, and I am uncomfortable with the way some resort to name calling, personal put-downs, and attacks against the person, but I am also uncomfortable with the way some seem calculatingly to provoke those responses from the usual suspects.

I don't visit the forum to laugh at two grown adults trying to knock seven kinds of brick dust out of each other in writing, and I find the interminable tit for tat disputes very inconsiderate and tedious. When it is working at its best this forum is a wonderful source of information about motorhoming, motorhomes, and solutions to the problems they create. That, IMO, should remain its focus.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2014-08-25 12:06 AM

rupert123 - 2014-08-24 6:25 PM..................I do indeed have a bit but do not recall ever responding in a really insulting way, I did call you pedantic once does that count. Are you saying you are happy with the way Eddie responds, if so you disappoint. I have never had a problem with domineering disagreement or any other type but complain I will if people go to far.

No Henry, I certainly wasn't seeking to imply you resort to insults, and I don't count being called a pedant an insult. I'm proud to be a pedant, there aren't enough of us! :-)

I have responded to others when I think they go too far, and I am uncomfortable with the way some resort to name calling, personal put-downs, and attacks against the person, but I am also uncomfortable with the way some seem calculatingly to provoke those responses from the usual suspects.

I don't visit the forum to laugh at two grown adults trying to knock seven kinds of brick dust out of each other in writing, and I find the interminable tit for tat disputes very inconsiderate and tedious. When it is working at its best this forum is a wonderful source of information about motorhoming, motorhomes, and solutions to the problems they create. That, IMO, should remain its focus.

But as Henry pointed out earlier Brian......why does this subject promote such a febrile response from you skeptics? :-S..................As far as I'm aware reverse polarity has never caused any actual injuries, yet its discussed with infinitude on here...............along with similar subjects such as aires V campsites, A frames, Wildcamping etc etc................

I agree as you say....

"When it is working at its best this forum is a wonderful source of information about motorhoming, motorhomes, and solutions to the problems they create. That, IMO, should remain its focus"

So given that until "proved" otherwise then the risk of robbery by method unknown/unproven should in my view be given a regular airing so that newbies can be made aware of the risks ;-)...........

Guest Had Enough

Pelmet does have a point. Some may think that making people worry unnecessarily about something that's never happened is irresponsible. But of course I'm sure that he's found many examples of gassing being witnessed by an independent third party over the last thirty years? He's had a long time to Google since I asked him.

Perhaps he'll post the links later?

Anyway, I have to go out now but, taking his advice, later today I'm going to start a thread warning those considering going abroad for the first time that they need to be very careful and not drive over the edge of the planet.

It's only fair that this kind of thing gets an airing from time to time.

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-25 8:45 AM

Pelmet does have a point. Some may think that making people worry unnecessarily about something that's never happened is irresponsible. But of course I'm sure that he's found many examples of gassing being witnessed by an independent third party over the last thirty years? He's had a long time to Google since I asked him.

Indeed Frank these incidents do seem to be on the increase, since free movement within the EU has also given Eastern European criminals access to a lucrative market *-)................At least they know if they do get caught they'll also be subject to the EU's soft justice system :-|.............

pelmetman - 2014-08-25 9:08 AM

Had Enough - 2014-08-25 8:45 AM

Indeed Frank these incidents do seem to be on the increase, since free movement within the EU has also given Eastern European criminals access to a lucrative market *-)................At least they know if they do get caught they'll also be subject to the EU's soft justice system :-|.............

They'll be heading for the Dordogne, laden with gas bottles and hoses, right now.

Hope you make it back OK :-D

Guest pelmetman
Muswell - 2014-08-25 9:37 AM

They'll be heading for the Dordogne, laden with gas bottles and hoses, right now.

Hope you make it back OK :-D

You missed the clever bit.................they don't need gas bottles.............just an engine and a hose ;-)............

But I suspect we'll be safe in our old banger.................As clearly poor people like us won't have anything worth nicking :D............Unless they're after my flat earth map collection 8-).............

Guest pelmetman
goldi - 2014-08-25 10:25 AM

Morning folks,

Ah but, this is just one insurance co that has had 3 gassinf claims. multiply that by all the insurance co,s and it turns out that gassing is rife !!

norm

Careful Norm 8-).................saying things like that is likely to get you shot....... on here :D..............

Had Enough - I'm going to start a thread warning those considering going abroad for the first time that they need to be very careful and not drive over the edge of the planet.

Thank Heaven there are those who walk amongst us that are of like thinking!

Please note my earlier post where I mentioned membership of the Flat Earth Society and it's good to know that others are of the same inclination (sorry for the pun) and wish to promote the thoughts of those refusing to accept that the World is round.

Well done Had Enough – I wait with baited breath for your thread to open.

Guest Had Enough
Madge Gentle - 2014-08-25 10:59 AM

Had Enough - I'm going to start a thread warning those considering going abroad for the first time that they need to be very careful and not drive over the edge of the planet.

Please note my earlier post where I mentioned membership of the Flat Earth Society and it's good to know that others are of the same inclination (sorry for the pun) and wish to promote the thoughts of those refusing to accept that the World is round.

Thank you but I'm going to have to concede defeat. I've been asking Pelmetman for one example of an independent witness to a gassing and he's strangely reluctant to come up with any links, which considering that it's done by East Europeans, must be happening all over the continent.

I now realise why there haven't been any witnesses and, as the article says, it's truly shocking.

Bridlington for me next year I'm afraid as they don't appear to have crossed the Channel yet, but it won't be long, mark my words!

490692710_ExpatNews.jpg.f4c8c64be90172c3001e395ecef34b74.jpg

Don't make fun of this. I've got a friend who knew someone whose cousin went to France and they fell off the edge.

Guest Had Enough
Muswell - 2014-08-25 12:18 PM

Don't make fun of this. I've got a friend who knew someone whose cousin went to France and they fell off the edge.

I agree, it's not funny. He was probably disoriented from being gassed. People should be deeply worried. And don't get me going on alien abduction, I know people, including me, who've been taken and probed.

I was once chatted up by a beautiful woman who plied me with some mysterious liquid which made me very woozy after about eight glasses. The next thing I know I'm in her space ship being undressed and sexually interfered with.

What was very scary is that she had some cloaking device that made her vessel look just like the interior of a Holiday Inn bedroom.

I'm never leaving the UK again I tell you.

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-25 12:15 PM

Thank you but I'm going to have to concede defeat. I've been asking Pelmetman for one example of an independent witness to a gassing and he's strangely reluctant to come up with any links, which considering that it's done by East Europeans, must be happening all over the continent.

I now realise why there haven't been any witnesses and, as the article says, it's truly shocking.

Bridlington for me next year I'm afraid as they don't appear to have crossed the Channel yet, but it won't be long, mark my words!

I'd of thought the victims of these robberies should be witness enough, unless you have a plausible answer to why 6 people all ended up with CO poisoning *-)...............Besides you keep harping on about CCTV cameras would a ner do well not be aware of them to?..........and park on the blind side of a nice big camper ;-)................

Now this might come as a shock to you skeptics :-S..............but criminals do not wear striped jumpers and black masks, neither do they carry sacks with swag written on them :D...........

Had Enough - 2014-08-25 12:35 PM

I was once chatted up by a beautiful woman who plied me with some mysterious liquid which made me very woozy after about eight glasses. The next thing I know I'm in her space ship being undressed and sexually interfered with.

Was she in the form of an East European? They are the worst, I bet she took your wallet as well. What did the police say?

Guest Had Enough
Muswell - 2014-08-25 12:55 PM

Was she in the form of an East European? They are the worst, I bet she took your wallet as well. What did the police say?

Now you mention it she did look a bit Albanian. She did take my wallet, that's very clever of you! I thought it was just part of their thirst for every aspect of Earth culture.

The problem is, as I've now been told, criminals don't wear striped jerseys any more, so it's hard to decide if they're genuine or not. As there was no striped jersey or a bag with swag written on it how was I supposed to know that she wasn't genuine?

And there's the answer. So many people must have seen hordes of Eastern Europeans standing alongside the next vehicle and pumping in gas from their running engine, but because they were dressed normally no one realised that they were doing anything dodgy.

Crafty devils, wearing ordinary clothes. No wonder no one's ever spotted any of them up to their tricks eh?

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-25 1:04 PM

Muswell - 2014-08-25 12:55 PM

Now you mention it she did look a bit Albanian. She did take my wallet, that's very clever of you! I thought it was just part of their thirst for every aspect of Earth culture.

The problem is, as I've now been told, criminals don't wear striped jerseys any more, so it's hard to decide if they're genuine or not. As there was no striped jersey or a bag with swag written on it how was I supposed to know that she wasn't genuine?

And there's the answer. So many people must have seen hordes of Eastern Europeans standing alongside the next vehicle and pumping in gas from their running engine, but because they were dressed normally no one realised that they were doing anything dodgy.

Crafty devils, wearing ordinary clothes. No wonder no one's ever spotted any of them up to their tricks eh?

The other thing with us earthlings, is that most of us are in bed asleep at 4 am in the morning on service areas ;-)...................

Guest Had Enough
pelmetman - 2014-08-25 1:13 PM

The other thing with us earthlings, is that most of us are in bed asleep at 4 am in the morning on service areas ;-)...................

But oddly, your six dumbos said this:

'The summer heat had made the group restless and unable to sleep. Mrs Chadwick says the last thing she remembers is seeing the lights of a car at 4.40am before ‘zoning out’.'

None of them could sleep but none of them heard the vehicle alongside with its engine running? (It was hot so windows were open I presume?) None of them had a quick look to see what was going on? None of them smelled the very distinctive odour of exhaust fumes whilst they were still awake? You'd have thought that, as the gas would have taken hours to fill a camper, that the two in the Luton six feet up may have smelled something.

You really do seem incapable of any kind of intelligent reasoning. And please, stop it with the 'poisoning' rubbish. they were never told that they were poisoned. Having a bit of CO in the blood stream isn't poisoning. Years of cigarettes, dodgy appliance? How many more times must we explain all this to you? It's a bit like reasoning with a four-year-old about the meaning of life. Eventually you realise that they're simply not capable of understanding.

Anyway, I think we all know from my experience that it was nothing from this earth that was responsible. It's time we all woke up to the aliens in our midst. (lol) (lol) (lol)

....I'm afraid you've all got it wrong.

These gas attacks in France have been increasing in numbers for some years.

The British Foreign Office have had a long-held belief, due to the parlous state of the French economy, that these have been state-sponsored attacks, designed to relieve foreigners of their valuables, subsequently selling them surreptitiously and passing the proceeds to the French Ministry of Finance and Economy to bolster the balance of payments.

This belief has been reinforced by all the "expert evidence" outlining that such attacks are, in fact, impossible, due to the various risk factors involved. In essence, the FO has decided that only an organisation with vast resources, and access to the best scientific advice, could possibly be responsible.

MI6 have been "on the case" for some years, and one of my contacts there has informed me that there has just been a signifcant breakthrough.

Analysts have spent years perusing Google Streetview looking for evidence, and have finally come up trumps. At the very autoroute services near St Amand Montron, where the party from Derby were "gassed", pictures have emerged which are dated from near the start of the latest campaign, and conclusively point the finger of suspicion at the French Army.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.752674,2.418802,3a,75y,25.7h,84.92t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJoVOpuVNym0SsWFgqEdjxg!2e0?hl=en

As you can see, a cunningly-disguised gas generator (along with a fuel trailer ensuring sufficient capacity to incapacitate a double-decker bus - if they should strike lucky), parked next to an unsuspecting, lorry-driving "mark".

They've fired up the gassing apparatus, and they're now making themselves scarce whilst it takes effect. (the uniforms are a bit of a give away - though!). They're also hoping they don't get nicked by les flics for having the jeep on an A-frame at the back.

Expect dramatic action by the Foreign Office shortly, especial as when Manuel Valls, the French PM, resigned today because of the state of the economy he was overheard saying "if only we'd started the gassing campaign earlier!".

I think cheese sanctions are now inevitable.

Guest Had Enough
Robinhood - 2014-08-25 1:55 PM

I think cheese sanctions are now inevitable.

You may have accidentally hit it on the head, or up the nostrils as the case may be. Have you considered that they're not using CO but French cheese? Some brands could be smeared over the air inlets and, as air rises into the 'van, the pungent odour does the rest.

I mean, have you smelled some of the stuff?

The British Foreign Office have had a long-held belief, due to the parlous state of the French economy, that these have been state-sponsored attacks, designed to relieve foreigners of their valuables, subsequently selling them surreptitiously and passing the proceeds to the French Ministry of Finance and Economy to bolster the balance of payments.

I always said it was best to stick to CC sites.

Guest JudgeMental
Muswell - 2014-08-25 2:50 PM

I always said it was best to stick to CC sites.

GOOD GOD'S!! so it was a conspiracy after all! A FRENCH ONE! Live and learn...live and learn.

It all makes absolute sense now....

THE END?

pelmetman - 2014-08-25 8:36 AM..................So given that until "proved" otherwise then the risk of robbery by method unknown/unproven should in my view be given a regular airing so that newbies can be made aware of the risks ;-)...........

Absolutely it should, as should the commensurate warning against overnighting on motorway rest and picnic areas, and in other high risk places.

My point has never been that reports of theft, however claimed to have been executed, should be hushed up. I just think these reports of gassings should only be repeated alongside suitable health warnings, because they gain undue prominence and may create unfounded fears, when "straight old fashioned robbery" is a significantly greater risk (though the risk of robbery is not great overall if the number of journeys made is taken into account).

The best defence against robbery is to overnight only on designated aires etc, or on campsites. That, IMO, should be the clear message. Then, if someone eventually comes up with proof positive of a "gas" attack we should learn what was used and how it was done, and only then will anyone be able to work out how to defend against it.

Until then, all these reports seem to me to achieve is to spread paranoia about an unproven risk (being gassed), while ignoring a proven risk (being robbed) - that is easily avoided.

Robinhood - 2014-08-25 1:55 PM.......................

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.752674,2.418802,3a,75y,25.7h,84.92t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJoVOpuVNym0SsWFgqEdjxg!2e0?hl=en

As you can see, a cunningly-disguised gas generator (along with a fuel trailer ensuring sufficient capacity to incapacitate a double-decker bus - if they should strike lucky), parked next to an unsuspecting, lorry-driving "mark"......................

Ah, so that's what happened to Saddam's WMD? Spirited into France, abandoned on an autoroute aire de services, and later found and purloined as "spoils of war" by the French military. You wait until I tell George W, Donald, and Coolin! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2014-08-25 4:15 PM

Until then, all these reports seem to me to achieve is to spread paranoia about an unproven risk (being gassed), while ignoring a proven risk (being robbed) - that is easily avoided.

I see your point but surely paranoia exists only in the mind of the paranoid?

I have never said that gas attacks do happen as to me it has never been proven but that does not mean that it cannot happen so many years ago when it was first reported I invested in a gas and co alarm as it made sense to me to counter the remote risk especially when the cost to do so was so small.

Most sane people will read about the alleged dangers of any sort of attack and robbery and the sort of locations where they tend to occur and take their own sensible precautions at a level to be decided by the individual according to how they see the risk at these locations and elsewhere and/or avoid those locations altogether?

We sleep very soundly at night, but the dog didn't so maybe we will get another dog after all!

Far from, as you suggested earlier, looking to reignite the war of the self opinionated, my objective was to keep the topic open for exploration and it was only when the nastiness started up again with the insults and rudeness that I reacted - maybe over reacted - but having had so much bile without the benefit of a genuine reason from the usual suspects over the years it does tend to make me react.

All I ask is they respond to the topic not the poster and make their point, assuming they have one, in a polite and pleasant manner.

Is that asking too much do you think?

Guest Had Enough
Tracker - 2014-08-25 4:32 PM

Brian Kirby - 2014-08-25 4:15 PM

I see your point but surely paranoia exists only in the mind of the paranoid?

I have never said that gas attacks do happen as to me it has never been proven but that does not mean that it cannot happen so many years ago when it was first reported I invested in a gas and co alarm as it made sense to me to counter the remote risk especially when the cost to do so was so small.

Most sane people will read about the alleged dangers of any sort of attack and robbery and the sort of locations where they tend to occur and take their own sensible precautions at a level to be decided by the individual according to how they see the risk at these locations and elsewhere and/or avoid those locations altogether?

We sleep very soundly at night, but the dog didn't so maybe we will get another dog after all!

Far from, as you suggested earlier, looking to reignite the war of the self opinionated, my objective was to keep the topic open for exploration and it was only when the nastiness started up again with the insults and rudeness that I reacted - maybe over reacted - but having had so much bile without the benefit of a genuine reason from the usual suspects over the years it does tend to make me react.

All I ask is they respond to the topic not the poster and make their point, assuming they have one, in a polite and pleasant manner.

Is that asking too much do you think?

But no one is having a go at you Richard, it's all just a bit of fun. When will you learn?

Archived