Possible gas attacks?

Tracker

Had Enough - 2014-08-25 5:11 PM

antony1969 - 2014-08-25 5:07 PM

Tracker - 2014-08-25 5:02 PM

Had Enough - 2014-08-25 4:44 PM

But no one is having a go at you Richard, it's all just a bit of fun. When will you learn?

Sorry Frank, I don't buy that excuse and I really expected better from you!

People 'having fun' do not use the sort of insulting terminology that you and the Mental one consistently use.

Many on here know how to have a bit of fun and repartee and how to take a joke and not read into a posting meanings that are not there - Dave the Pelmet, Colin (both), Antony, Robin Hood to name but a few but never do they find the need to resort to the kind of insults and abuse that you, Mental and Peter persist in hurling about at all that 'offend' you.

Oh - sorry - I misunderstood - you are just having a bit of fun - so that's OK to be offensive and rude then is it?

Agreed Richard good post

Oh, and you wouldn't be biased slightly would you? Give us a break and go back to Chatterbollox which is your natural home along with your two bosom buddies.

That's what's going to destroy motorhome matters too Frank ... As along with Edward you seem to find it impossible than to post in anything other than an aggressive manner ... The two of you going to anger management courses together may prove cheaper ... Buy one get one free kind of thing ... Here to help

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Had Enough
Brian Kirby - 2014-08-25 7:08 PM

We have stayed at Chartres several times. I am aware of the reports of robberies, but we are usually there out of season so I judge the risk to be low.

A bit like the decision process I employ then when choosing a motorway picnic aire? ;-)

I think the people who run this forum would be doing all of you a mighty big favour to close it down completely……………you may just find there is a real life awaiting you out there, rather than this ceaseless nonsense that seems to preoccupy you all day and night............do you really have nothing better to do with your time ?

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2014-08-25 8:53 PM

I think the people who run this forum would be doing all of you a mighty big favour to close it down completely……………you may just find there is a real life awaiting you out there, rather than this ceaseless nonsense that seems to preoccupy you all day and night............do you really have nothing better to do with your time ?

Wot............and let this lot lose on the unsuspecting public 8-)..........

pelmetman - 2014-08-25 8:57 PM

Obviously not then..........quite sad really, even though you attempt to disguise your reply with a stab at humour, you simply cannot, along with others like the gas mask bloke stop yourselves posting

..................... but this really is your whole life isn't it ? and surely this is the very worst joke

that when you are drawing your last breaths you may just fleetingly reflect on all those wasted hours, days, months, and years spent on this drivel.

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2014-08-25 9:30 PM

Obviously not then..........quite sad really, even though you attempt to disguise your reply with a stab at humour, you simply cannot, along with others like the gas mask bloke stop yourselves posting

..................... but this really is your whole life isn't it ? and surely this is the very worst joke

that when you are drawing your last breaths you may just fleetingly reflect on all those wasted hours, days, months, and years spent on this drivel.

Drivel before dribble B-).......................gets my vote ;-)...................

Joe90 - 2014-08-25 9:30 PM

But you are spending your time reading it. Relax and enjoy. I've just watched Salmond v Darling Episode 2....much the same really :-D

Had Enough - 2014-08-25 8:34 PM

Brian Kirby - 2014-08-25 7:08 PM

We have stayed at Chartres several times. I am aware of the reports of robberies, but we are usually there out of season so I judge the risk to be low.

A bit like the decision process I employ then when choosing a motorway picnic aire? ;-)

I guess that depends a bit on how you select your aires. If you know the ones you like, and deliberately head for those, then yes. If you just stop where, and when, you feel like it, then no.

Out of season most of the low lifes and ner-do wells have packed up and gone back to their inner city slums, so I also judge the risk to be equally low when stopping on Aires out of season as we do almost exclusively and have done for many years ! !

Guest Had Enough
Brian Kirby - 2014-08-26 12:45 AM

I guess that depends a bit on how you select your aires. If you know the ones you like, and deliberately head for those, then yes. If you just stop where, and when, you feel like it, then no.

I thought that I'd explained my policy of how we select aires? But there is no need to have a particular one in mind, although we do have favourites. We have a favourite stopping place on the two motorways that we use out of Calais, both within an hour's drive as we always sail or tunnel about tea time as, unlike you, we have to drive down from oop north.

However, what's important is the general location and whether we choose one, or the next one fifteen miles farther on is unimportant, as long as they come within our criterion, which is not too close to a major urban conurbation.

Forgetting what is the often imagined risk, consider the advantages if you're happy to use toll motorways: No need to leave the motorway to seek out a site or aire, the ability to stop when you feel like it and water and chemical toilet disposal on hand.

You are happy to use a site which you know has a history of robberies as you evaluate the slight risk of it happening to you. I do the same with motorway aires.

But it's all about being sensible. I have visible security in the shape of Fiamma external door locks on all doors including the garage. The low windows have Milenco alarms, six for twenty quid but very visible.

I've used motorway picnic aires for many years and used them when we towed a caravan. During all those years I haven't had a whiff of trouble. But we wouldn't do it outside Naples or Barcelona.

I feel much safer on my picnic aires than I do on a few city aires or sites. Given the choice of staying on the Calais site, aire, Cite Europe or yacht harbour, give me an hour's drive to my favourite picnic aire any time.

A large number of motorway robberies occur during the day when a 'van is left unattended whilst the owners use the restaurant or shops and many are distraction robberies from people who've been persuaded to stop.

Finally, I rate these scare stories in a similar category to gassing. People are put off from using a valuable and convenient asset by scare stories that have little credence. The police may well warn people about the dangers of stopping on motorway aires but of course they will, and they're more concerned about the major service aires where many vehicles are left unattended.

Had Enough - 2014-08-26 9:58 AM

I thought that I'd explained my policy of how we select aires? But there is no need to have a particular one in mind, although we do have favourites. We have a favourite stopping place on the two motorways that we use out of Calais, both within an hour's drive as we always sail or tunnel about tea time as, unlike you, we have to drive down from oop north.

However, what's important is the general location and whether we choose one, or the next one fifteen miles farther on is unimportant, as long as they come within our criterion, which is not too close to a major urban conurbation.

Forgetting what is the often imagined risk, consider the advantages if you're happy to use toll motorways: No need to leave the motorway to seek out a site or aire, the ability to stop when you feel like it and water and chemical toilet disposal on hand.

You are happy to use a site which you know has a history of robberies as you evaluate the slight risk of it happening to you. I do the same with motorway aires.

But it's all about being sensible. I have visible security in the shape of Fiamma external door locks on all doors including the garage. The low windows have Milenco alarms, six for twenty quid but very visible.

I've used motorway picnic aires for many years and used them when we towed a caravan. During all those years I haven't had a whiff of trouble. But we wouldn't do it outside Naples or Barcelona.

I feel much safer on my picnic aires than I do on a few city aires or sites. Given the choice of staying on the Calais site, aire, Cite Europe or yacht harbour, give me an hour's drive to my favourite picnic aire any time.

A large number of motorway robberies occur during the day when a 'van is left unattended whilst the owners use the restaurant or shops and many are distraction robberies from people who've been persuaded to stop.

Finally, I rate these scare stories in a similar category to gassing. People are put off from using a valuable and convenient asset by scare stories that have little credence. The police may well warn people about the dangers of stopping on motorway aires but of course they will, and they're more concerned about the major service aires where many vehicles are left unattended.

Frank, whilst we take your point about evaluating risk still feel that it is wrong to recommend staying overnight on autoroute stop overs, as this is against all the advice given by the French authorities. Yes it is important to be aware of risks no matter where you stay but official camping car aires are, in our opinion, always a safer option than say unlit and deserted motorway picnic stops.

Guest Had Enough
robertandjean - 2014-08-26 7:59 PM

Frank, whilst we take your point about evaluating risk still feel that it is wrong to recommend staying overnight on autoroute stop overs, as this is against all the advice given by the French authorities. Yes it is important to be aware of risks no matter where you stay but official camping car aires are, in our opinion, always a safer option than say unlit and deserted motorway picnic stops.

Bully for you. You're welcome to your opinion. I'm sure that thieves in the towns that have aires will ignore the number of motorhomes all clustered together because it's an official aire. Which toe rag would be so impolite as to rob on an 'official aire'? Perish the thought.

Finally, I think that it's wrong of people like you to scare others from using what many of us find to be a safe and convenient night halt. And many of us do and many of us have been doing it for years without any problem.

And what do you expect the French police to say? They'll always err on the negative side to protect themselves. Apart from which their advice is often directed at large motorway services on certain very busy holiday routes at peak times.

And by the way, I've never stayed on an unlit and deserted picnic aire. You clearly have no experience of them whatsoever.

robertandjean - 2014-08-26 7:59 PM

Had Enough - 2014-08-26 9:58 AM

R and J you post a decent reasonable post and you end up with the reply you got from Frank ... That my friends is what's wrong with this forum

Guest Had Enough
antony1969 - 2014-08-26 8:18 PM

R and J you post a decent reasonable post and you end up with the reply you got from Frank ... That my friends is what's wrong with this forum

I'm not going to be lectured by him, because that's how it came across. And as for the 'unlit and deserted motorway picnic stops' I don't think that he can have been on any at night. And I'm sick of his sniping in other threads.

But what's really wrong with this forum is precisely what he's proved to be good at. Sly little digs just because we may have had words months ago.

Yes, he can be helpful, I hope we all can, but I see what he can also be like.

Guest pelmetman

Correction Antony............That's whats wrong with Frank ;-)............HE has spent too long as a demigod in his own universe surrounded by sycophants *-).................

Hence he's unable to mix with polite company in Chatterbox :D...........

Had Enough - 2014-08-26 8:33 PM

I'm not going to be lectured by him, because that's how it came across. And as for the 'unlit and deserted motorway picnic stops' I don't think that he can have been on any at night. And I'm sick of his sniping in other threads.

But what's really wrong with this forum is precisely what he's proved to be good at. Sly little digs just because we may have had words months ago.

Your seeing things Frank ... I think you need help ... For me the post RandJ posted had nothing in it to offend ... Just lighten up a bit and don't look too deep please

Had Enough - 2014-08-26 8:33 PM

Frank was not having a dig at you or anyone, just did not want less experienced travellers than yourself to risk staying overnight on picnic areas which unlike yourself they had not the knowledge to evaluate. In the same way always say look up information regarding an aire prior to visiting, and if when you arrive are unhappy then do not stay.

Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-08-26 9:10 PM

I'm going to start an Aires V Site thread....What we need is Harmony! dum de de de dum de de

And do we drive to them using tolls or not?

Guest JudgeMental
Had Enough - 2014-08-26 9:17 PM

I'm going to start an Aires V Site thread....What we need is Harmony! dum de de de dum de de

yes that an other area of discussion I have sweat blood over that one...N road V Toll road

How BIG is your oven! Yet another quandary that demands discussion. (my take) if you cant cook a turkey in it whats the point......

the list endless

Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-08-26 9:25 PM

Had Enough - 2014-08-26 9:17 PM

yes that an other area of discussion I have sweat blood over that one...N road V Toll road

How BIG is your oven! Yet another quandary that demands discussion. (my take) if you cant cook a turkey in it whats the point......

the list endless

As a matter of interest, how does the shower and loo work in the Possl? It looks as though when it's being used access is blocked to the sleeping area. Does it work well as a shower?

Archived