Motivation?

Billggski

I suspect this depends on both your vehicle and where you buy your wine but an interesting idea nonetheless.

I once drove from Dunkirk to Italy in a CRV and monitored the fuel - it used 38% more fuel at 90 mph than at 70 mph, but that's as slow as we went!

In the MH we tend to cruise on motorways at 58-62 mph, depending on traffic, and I assume that's an economical cruising speed too. It gets noticeably nosier and less enjoyable at higher speeds and we are often towing a trailer anyway, which limits us to 60 mph. I dare say that staying under 60 mph will save quite a bit of fuel compared with 70 mph, but I rarely and only briefly do that sort of speed in the MH anyway.

Given that MHs are not very aerodynamic, I suspect the fuel consumption rises steeply above as little as 50 mph so I wonder how many bottles of wine I'm wasting by doing 60 mph instead?

You can still edit it up to 30 minutes after posting - but be quick!

What sort of wine - white or red!

Would it be a Lidl's special at 1 Euro or poncy wine at over 2 Euros a litre!!

If I travel at 60 mph do I save a bottle of sparkling water every hour even if I pass nothing else?

I estimate that traveling at 56mph as opposed to 70mph (true speeds not indicated speeds) would save me about £6 per 100 miles. The speed we drive at is often dependent on time available, so going to Cornwall on a split journey (Friday night/Saturday morning) will probably be at 56mph, but returning on a Saturday will be at 70mph.

Guest JudgeMental
Always go as fast as possible unless in a sightseeing area....dont see the point to be honest of plodding along, just want to get there.....

Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-08-23 8:39 AM

Always go as fast as possible unless in a sightseeing area....dont see the point to be honest of plodding along, just want to get there.....

Well done for not rising to the bait of that nasty little prod above. No doubt we'll have another nauseating homily later today about how we should all be nice to one another.

Still it was probably 'just a bit of fun' eh?

Me too, life is short. At 56 on the Motorway you are in the slow lane with the HGVs, and its's not my idea of fun to be looking at the back of an artic with the word SCANIA looming up in my mirrors.

Guest JudgeMental
Had Enough - 2014-08-23 9:42 AM

Well done for not rising to the bait of that nasty little prod above. No doubt we'll have another nauseating homily later today about how we should all be nice to one another.

Still it was probably 'just a bit of fun' eh?

Ha ha ha...indeed. Tractor up to his usual tricks. He always casts around with cheap digs to gain approval from those who take him at face value (nd don't know better). You only have to look oven on chatterepox to see the mentality of this pathetic bunch...

Christianity a fine institution..They should try it some time, let some light into their lives :-D

Guest JudgeMental
Muswell - 2014-08-23 11:00 AM

Me too, life is short. At 56 on the Motorway you are in the slow lane with the HGVs, and its's not my idea of fun to be looking at the back of an artic with the word SCANIA looming up in my mirrors.

Precisely......I agree with all of your posts..we have a lot in common, site really need a "like" button ;-)

JudgeMental - 2014-08-23 12:06 PM
Muswell - 2014-08-23 11:00 AM
JudgeMental - 2014-08-23 8:39 AMAlways go as fast as possible unless in a sightseeing area....dont see the point to be honest of plodding along, just want to get there.....
Precisely......I agree with all of your posts..we have a lot in common, site really need a "like" button ;-)

Haha, would you believe I just went to click the 'like' button.  Duh!

Hi All

After spending too many years hurtling up and down motorways in the UK, going as fast as the dam thing would go safely and regarding traffic conditions, it took a long time but 'she who must be obeyed' has managed to slow me down! Normally, we spend fairly long holidays on the continent and consequently don't use the motorways (apart from the speed, French motorways are exactly the same as English motorways with the same scenery). However, this holiday coming up, due to a medical condition getting inthe way is having to be shortened and we'll probably use some motorways. The difference in diesel consumption can be a little bit more than one reasonable bottle of red wine and, we find, travelling slower on the A roads is much more enjoyable.

With regard to the 'like' button - couldn't agree more. We have always thought there should be an extra key on the computer board which says - "do you really want to send this email/posting??". Too much haste can sometimes be unintentionally contentious or hurtful.

Alan

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2014-08-23 12:02 PM

You only have to look oven on chatterepox to see the mentality of this pathetic bunch...

Christianity a fine institution..They should try it some time, let some light into their lives :-D

I understand prisons are referred to as institutions too Eddie ;-)..................and some folk say gassing is a myth.................Would you Adam & Eve it :D..........

Archived