New Busbiker NL swing out bike rack with detachabale tow bar

Guest JudgeMental

I'll have the new one when I win the lottery. Towbar always a useful item and that was the only bad thing about mk 1 Busbiker. I would also get one that's hinged on the left as it makes for easier access to boot from a van with sliding door on the right.

Guest Had Enough

Does anyone know the maximum load capacity of this very clever bike rack? I have two heavy electric bikes.

I'm considering a new 'van next year and am dithering between two extremes. A Hymer Exsis A Class like BK's or a complete change and going for a top class PVC like Possl or La Strada.

I'm tempted by the space and luxury of the Hymer and also tempted by the smaller and narrower PVC and the experiences of those who've downsized.

I'll probably end up taking Mrs HE to Dusseldorf and letting her make the decision because if I get it wrong I'll never hear the end of it.

Guest JudgeMental

80 Kg.

as shown in video you can leave it open with bikes loaded, even with rack closed windows open for ventilation

Love the La Strada, top quality but could not get a deal on one....Possl take some beating for the money, terrific build quality, a few little niggles with a few features but none perfect. As we have expensive bikes I fitted a ground anchor to cross bar and use a heavy chain...very secure, really gives peace of mind.

Frank in a PVC...My work is done!:-D

Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-08-26 8:53 PM

80 Kg.

as shownin video you can leave it open with bikes loaded, even with rack closed windows open for ventilation

Love the La Strada, top quality but could not get a deal on one....Possl take some beating for the money, terrific build quality for the money. As we have expensive bikes I fitted a ground anchor to cross bar and use a heavy chain...very secure, really gives peace of mind.

That's reassuring. 80kg is a lot. Is it fitted like a towbar?

Guest JudgeMental
No tow bar on models Hugh and I have. Ours the earlier version. (first video in link). New version has a detachable tow bar (second video)

Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-08-26 8:59 PM

No tow bar on models Hugh and I have. Ours the earlier version. (first video in link). New version has a detachable tow bar (second video)

What I meant was, is it fitted as a tow bar would be fitted, that is bolted on to the chassis underneath? If you see what I mean!

If it'll take 80 kg it must be well secured.

Guest JudgeMental
Had Enough - 2014-08-26 9:02 PM

What I meant was, is it fitted as a tow bar would be fitted, that is bolted on to the chassis underneath? If you see what I mean!

Oh its a proper piece of engineering. you only see half of it, they replace the steel work under rear step, with extensions to the chassis. (like a tow bar really) so what you have is a scissor arrangement. When I got it chap stood on it when it swung out. I think they are good value for money compared to aluminium ones which I dont trust as not secure......

Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-08-26 9:18 PM

Had Enough - 2014-08-26 9:02 PM

Oh its a proper piece of engineering. you only see half of it, they replace the steel work under rear step, with extensions to the chassis. (like a tow bar really) so what you have is a scissor arrangement. When I got it chap stood on it when it swung out. I think they are good value for money compared to aluminium ones which I dont trust as not secure......

Thanks. It certainly solves what I see as a big problem with PVCs and rear bike racks.

Archived